marigold33_gw

What are your top 3 favorite rose bushes?

Marigold33 NY-Z7

Please share your top 3 roses!

My top three are:

1) Veteran's Honor: Huge gorgeous red blooms that are unfading and last quite along time on the bush. Mine has a mild to moderate raspberry fragrance. It's almost always in bloom but it's not disease resistant.

2) Lyda Rose: An arching shrub rose. Gorgeous huge sprays of single pastel blooms, very disease resistant, but it gets mild black spot late in the season. She's almost always in bloom.

3) Sparkle n Shine: (floribunda) was a huge surprise. I almost shovel pruned it but my husband begged to differ, so I left it for another year. I probably wasn't patient enough and in it's third year it took off like gangbusters. It's cluster flowered, the blooms hold up a fairly long time on the bush and the deep yellow roses do seem to "shine". (parentage Julie Newmar x Julia Child)

I discovered that by adding fish fertilizer in the spring it helps get my roses off to a great start.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

My favorite rose is Neil Diamond

The other two would vary, based on this spring’s recent performance I’m going to say Moonstone

And Just Joey

Veteran’s Honor is always high on my list too.

Best Answer
  • dianela7bnorthal

😀too many to choose, that is always my problem. Hope others can do better. Love your 3 choices.

What is Your Favorite Kitchen Backsplash Color?

Hi Ceci - I'll go first. I'm 60. I live in Youngstown Ohio and I would say that most of my customers that buy my tiles on "white" or "biscuit" or a cream color variation are most likely close to my age. I sell all over the world though not just Youngstown. Aqua is beautiful .... no doubt....but a preference. The picture that I posted earlier in this thread is a mural that I made for a couple in the UK. Thanks.

POLL: What's your favorite neutral color?

When it comes to kitchen renovations, white is the new beige. It offers endless possibilities for decorating changes, timeless elegance in the new Transitional style. For some photos of our neutral kitchen designs, visit our dedicated Kitchen Renovations page: T&K Kitchen Designs

Tell us: What's your favorite holiday tradition?

Our Christmas day springs to life right out of the movies. After watching the 1953 Alistar Sims version of Scrooge, A Christmas Story marathon will begin. I do not ever think I have seen it all the way through, lol. Since my husband has worked the last several Christmases we took our cue from the movie. We either eat out or get take home Chinese Food. Fra rah rah. After reading our fortune cookies we scratch lottery tickets by the Leg lamp light;) The night winds up on a sweet note with my homemade best ever childhood memory Christmas cookies. I use to launch the tree out the door at midnight but as I got older it just doesn't seem like a rush to do anymore. I now wait until the light of the next day;) Merry Christmas and FRA RAH RAH !!!

Other than Chrome what's your favorite color for bathroom accessories

If I could have Bev's glass that would be awesome. Outside that I voted for the rose gold. I haven't seen that until recently. My house has brushed nickel, however.
  • Lek Arun

I will be patiently waiting to read everyone top 3. I just started growing roses again with the totally different climates. I had Veteran’s Honor at the old house (2000 miles away) and remember not that impressed with him. I think I will give him another chance in this new climate!

• Diane Brakefield

My top roses (favorite and best performers) are: Augusta Luise, Julia Child, and Evelyn/Twilight Zone (sorry, a tie). For sheer beauty, Augusta Luise and Evelyn; for performance, Julia Child; and for color, Twilight Zone. Diane

• ksgreenman

I'll limit myself to roses I currently have rather than sob about ones I don't, so of those , First would be Quietness--it's big and beautiful and very fragrant and super healthy. Has an nice backstory to. Second would be Gruss an Aachen-subtle and changeable, always interesting if you keep a close watch on it. If I could only have one rose, that would be it, just because I think it would be the most interesting. Third is a bit tougher--Ebb Tide is very high in beauty and fragrance, but I think I'll go with "Fairmont Proserpina". She has often surprised me and always in the good way. (I confess, I kind of underestimated her appeal to start with..)

• sara_ann-z6bok

My three favorite are Poseidon, because it’s a healthy bush, and when it blooms I love all that lavender! Pope John Paul II on Multiflora, because it produces so many fragrant and beautiful white blossoms, and Belinda’s Dream because I think the blooms are so lovely and they’re almost always perfect! If we’re allowed Honorable Mentions: Souvenir de la Malmaison, Dark Desire and Zaide.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Souvenir de la Malmaison for its beautiful flowers and practically perpetual bloom since climate change has done away with winter chill that formerly made it stop blooming for a few months. Potter and Moore for its deeply cupped, many petaled blooms and Bishop's Castle for its very fragrant deep pink blooms. Both are also frequent bloomers. I imagine Evelyn will be a very strong contender in another year or two but now it's still too young to give of its best. That's even more true of Plum Perfect that I hadn't been too keen on, but again it's a very young rose and even now its blooms look better than those of a few weeks ago. I don't use poisons and haven't fertilized in years, so the roses make do with water and the spent flowers and garden debris that fall around them for nutrients.

• sharon2079

Medallion.... Great big blooms.... healthy plant .... very forgiving when I KNEW nothing on how to plant and where to plant....

Firefighter...... Knew to me, but is putting out bloom after bloom... smells GREAT

Spirit of Freedom.... old fashion blooms... great scent

• berrypie7

At the moment Abraham Darby, William Shakespeare 2000, Madame Hardy.

Can I sneak in my favorite rose buds ? Sidonie

• Marigold33 NY-Z7

Thank you all for sharing your favorite roses. If any of other roses don't work out I'll consider replacing it with one of the roses you've mentioned.

Actually there's Linda Campbell which has been a one cane wonder for 3 years. This year it's in it's fourth year and I planned to replace it. To save time I cut it down to about 6 inches. To my surpise it has 4 canes now and looking like it might prosper. I was surpised to see the outcome so I might give it another season and see what happens.

I had Firefighter but I moved it to another location and it turned into what they call Huey root stock. I like the abundance of red blooms a lot, but it's only a one time bloom. So I think I'm going to replace that one with another red rose.

Thanks again for sharing!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Ugh I sooo want to play but this is tough .

I’ll go with what I think of first and not negotiate with myself.

Bathsheba

love song

renea

but I love so many ....

• joeywyomingz4b

Queen Nefertiti

Sexy Rexy

Mandarin Sunblaze

Honorable mention for Bolero which I don't have but my neighbor does and I have fallen in love with the fragrance and lavish blooms.

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)

It changes frequently, but for now I'll go with:

Bishop's Castle - fragrant, dark pink that blends well with the landscape, lots of blooms.

Evelyn - fragrant, apricot blend, amazingly effortlessly beautiful blooms.

Munstead Wood - fragrant, soulful dark red, gorgeous blooms. Thorny little beast, which gives it character.

Bishop's Castle

Evelyn

Mr. Munstead

(Edited to add that the MW red was darker than it looks in the picture - it's one of those hard to photograph reds.)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Oh boy I have so many that I adore but

Easy Does it , what a perfect rose. color , health , and it blooms all the time

Distant Drums, love the color, it changes frequently blooms like crazy

Bolero, an absolutely perfect white rose. Basically bulletproof and blooms constantly

Sorry Olivia. you know I still adore you too

Easy does it

Bolero

Distant Drums

• rosecanadian

This is hard. My roses haven't bloomed yet this year. Half of my roses died in the great garage die off, and last year was really, really pathetic for my roses. So I'll have to think back a few years. And roses that may be a favorite (Augusta Luise for example) haven't been around long enough for me to know. So without further ado:

1. White Licorice - I love the fragrance, the soft yellow and how floriferous and healthy it is. An easy peasy rose.

2. Chandos Beauty - my very favorite rose. The fragrance is intense...the only rose I will cut off to carry around with me. It blooms a lot, and the flowers are soooo pretty and long-lasting!

3. Memorial Day - beautiful pink with a hint of lavender. Fragrance is a wonderfully strong damask...tons of flowers and they last a long time.

• Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago

I really enjoy threads like this. Many of the roses people have listed above are also favorites of mine.

My personal three favorites are chosen for intense fragrance, floriferousness and bushy, dense, relatively attractive growth habits:

1. Crimson Glory. Gorgeous color and an intense damask and clove perfume that is so strong it can clear my sinuses and make my toes curl in delight. I love its nodding blooms. My favorite for rose water and rose jelly. I might cheat a bit here and also tack on Climbing Crimson Glory since it is also amazing and is genetically the same rose...

2. Bolero. My newly discovered love this season. So fragrant and its white blooms are beautiful and elegant. I want to have dozens of it.

3. Barcelona (aka Francis Dubreuil). Yes, I love fragrant red roses. This one is a stunner, a lovely dark black-red with an intense and smoldering perfume.

• mxk3

* Iceberg - for sentimental reasons, and I love the subtle scent

* Royal Jubilee - those blooms...

* Rugosas - ok, ok technically that's a class of roses but I don't enjoy the high maintenance aspect of roses and these are plant 'em and forget about 'em, they always look good in the landscape. Of the rugosas, Frau Dagmar Hastrup (aka Frau Dagmar Hartropp) is my favorite.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Chris. I agree with you on Crimson Glory. Mine has struggled a bit but looks like it will be fine. It was one of those early leaf setters who got barely started and then we had a freeze so she struggled.

I love those deep reds!

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Most of mine are babies so I really expect

this list to change in a couple of years but as of now I would pick:

CreamVeranda-it‘s surprising she is number one because scent is so important to me and hers is light but she has the most exquisite blooms. Soft shades of peach and heavy cream. She lives in a pot in a not great location and never complains.

PrincessCharlenedeMonaco-the most vigorous rose I have and a delicious fragrance

The last spot is hard but I’m going to give it to SugarMoon. The bush isn’t great but the blooms are a sparkling white and have the best fragrance in my yard, second only to lilacs

• Rose_Apothecary_7b_ATL

Earth Angel, Olivia Rose Austin, Princess Charlene de Monaco 💗

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)

Another pic of Evelyn from this morning - I mean COME ON - I'm a beginner gardener in a coastal climate, and it just magically creates blooms that are super fragrant & look like this!!!

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)

And, I love reading everyone else's choices & descriptions as well - what a great list of roses!

Ben - I was randomly thinking this morning that I don't typically like it when roses have celebrity names, but Neil Diamond is the exception - it just works!

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Cyndita,

I don’t really like celebrity named roses either. I once said on this forum that Weeks should have named this rose something else, but then all these Neil Diamond fans came out of the woodwork and professed their undying love for him! So what do I know....

• Ken Wilkinson

After several years of trying different roses in my garden to see how they would react, there isn't a rose that I grow that ISN'T a favorite. Now to narrow it down to 3. #1 and #2 were easy. #3 is a tough call

#1---Louise Estes. Everything I could ask for in a HT.

#2---Lady of the Dawn. A fantastic Florabunda. I've been growing this rose in every garden I have had (3) since 1989.

#3---This is a tough call. I'm going to say Ring of Fire. A newer HT that is just a fantastic bush and bloom.

• bayarea_girl z9ca

My top three:

1. Bathsheba: beautiful petal packed blooms with gorgeous blending of colors, blooms all the time, great fragrance, lasts well in a vase, very healthy.

2. Spirit of Freedom: beautiful petal packed blooms, repeats well, great fragrance, lasts well in a vase, very healthy.

3. Augusta Luise: unique frilly petal packed blooms with complex multiple colors, repeats well, great fragrance, lasts well in a vase, very healthy.

Helen

• Sylvia Weiser Wendel

Tough question, but ...

1) Flamingo Dancer. A pink and white striped climber from Burlington, Took off like a rocket as soon as I got it (last summer). Bloomed in January, then took a break until 4/15 or so, when after growing past its trellis it presented me with this:

2) Dream Come True. In its second year. incandescent.

3) Chicago Peace. Vigorous, fragrant, ever-changing, it lights up the yard.

We’ll see how this year’s newbies do. Ask me again in May 21!

• rosecanadian

Oh my heavens!!!! Glorious glorious pictures!!!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT

OMG this is like being asked which is your favorite child! How do you answer?

My answer is, I can't answer. At least not off the top of my head. But, I CAN say off the top of my head that Lyda Rose might be in the group. But there is a reason. I have mostly shade in my yard, and after years of trying (sorry, David Austin, I really did try) I have come to the conclusion that I can't really, truly grow a healthy, prolific rose. Except Lyda Rose. She is healthy, vigorous, prolific, fragrant, hardy, and beautiful, and all in part shade. If I had more full sun to grow roses, she might not make the top three favorite. But in a practical, what-favorite-rose-can-grow-in-my-yard list, she is at the top.

Loving the pictures here, even if they are a bit of a dagger to my shaded-yard heart! Many of the roses mentioned are ones that I tried to grow so I love seeing the photos of them!

:)
    Dee

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

@diggerdee zone 6 CT, have you tried Ghislaine de Feligonde? She thrives where many a "shade" rose retreated. Truly gorgeous, but a climber. : -) She also has a pink sport that I hope someday to acquire and have them co-mingle. Please click to see full screen.

@

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)

Great thread! Can’t wait to read all the responses. Off the top of my head I can give you my all time favorite...Pink Pet. Almost ALWAYS in bloom and a perfect pink. I’m in zone 9a but very prolific and carefree

• Lala Idaho Zone 7a

Evelyn, Bolero, Julia Child but ... I am now in love with Pope John Paul

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Augusta Luise, less than a year old, but she survived winter like a champ and I have high hopes for her. If she looks anything like the pics I've seen, she will remain in my top 3.

Nahema, also comes through winter with only tip damage, smells like heaven and so far, seems like a great bloomer.

Madame Isaac Pereire experiences a little more winter damage, but those blooms! and that fragrance! Thanks to Fragrancenutter's photos, I took a chance on her, was so impressed, went back for another one.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT

Thank you vaporvac! I appreciate the suggestion! I will look into Ghislaine. I've actually got a spot in a half-sun/half shade bed that I've debating what to put there. Maybe a nice obelisk with Ghislaine....

:)
    Dee

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

The other great one for a less than stellar spot is Peggy Martin, but GdF may have the edge.for shade.

• rosecanadian

Vaporvac - that climber is soo pretty....and I agree that it would look beautiful mingled with a pink climber.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

Marie Pavie, because she is so reliable, and fills my garden with fragrance when in full flush. Even after the late freeze, Marie put out a decent flush.

Alnwick Castle, for its first flush of saturated pink cabbages that smell like raspberry sorbetto, and vigor even in this climate.

Abraham Darby, for his mouthwatering fragrance, even though he doesn't like this climate all that much.

• rosecanadian

Noseometer - oh your Abe!!!!! I'm in love!!