buzznana

mystery plants in south western Pennsylvania

anna b
last month

I have two plants growing, they're decent size, not sure if they are weeds

Comments (10)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last month

Now it looks like a Euonymus europaeus. Or maybe americanus but I don’t know the bark on that species so it might be wrong.

Seeing the stump and bark makes a huge difference to identifying it. If you need an id in future this kind of information makes all the difference. We now know we’re looking for a woody subject.

Best Answer
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last month

The first could be Phytolacca americana - Pokeweed and the second could be as well.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last month

No, not Pokeweed. That isn't oppositely branched. On the OP's other post I wondered if this was Cynanchum rossicum. That is a plant I've never seen in the flesh. Anyone got an opinion?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last month
    last modified: last month

Hard to see details on my phone screen, but it's reminding me of asclepias curassavica...

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last month

To me it looks as if they are semi woody subjects which have been cut back. I believe I can see cut off stems which are resprouting. Is that correct?

• anna b
    Original Author
    last month

They were cut back and are resprouting from maybe a 3 inch diameter stump.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last month

OK. So its a woody subject, not a herbaceous perennial. Can anyone comment on my suggestion of Cyanchum rossicum?

• anna b
    Original Author
    last month

Here are some more pics after a few weeks growth. I'm thinking this is some kind of weed

• anna b
    Original Author
    last month

I don't think It's either kind of Euonymus. I don't recall seeing any kind of red flowers in the past

• floraluk2
    last month

The flowers are well nigh invisible greenish things, not red. It’s the fruit which are pink and orange. You would see neither if the shrub was cut back. They appear on old wood. Check out this image of E europaeus bark https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Euonymus_europaeus_bark2.jpg

Sponsored Story
DEANE Inc | Distinctive Design & Cabinetry
Pro Spotlight: How to Punch Up Your All-White Kitchen