misty_williams10

Screen Porch Garden (Newbie Gardener)

Misty Williams

Hello, so glad to find this group. I am about to turn my screened in back porch into a garden. Primarily vegetables, herbs, and a few fruits like strawberries and blueberries. I'm using elevated garden planters (about 70 in long, fairly deep). I'm hoping to get some great suggestions from experts on a few questions:

1. I have the soil and fertilizer picked out; however, I've never done container gardening on this scale (not much of a grower). These are wooden elevated garden boxes that I'm probably going to have to line with something and make sure there is drainage I imagine. If anyone has experience with this type of garden, please share your wisdom!

2. The porch is only in sunlight for short time during the day. I'm planning to put up overhead plant lights. These would be closer to the ceiling but I believe they'll have a chain system to lower it a bit. Any suggestions would be great.

3. What are some great plants to grow in this type of environment? I've read that some plants grow better together than others. Ideally, I'd like to grow some form of lettuce (like romaine or iceberg). carrots, celery, peppers, onions, green beans, potatoes (if that's possible), tomatoes, cucumbers. Some berry plants and several herbs (basil, rosemary, thyme, etc.).

Even the smallest suggestions are helpful!