salonvacation

Have you become a dawdler?

salonva

Mornings have always been on my terms and leisurely,

I have always been an early riser ( like a super early riser) and enjoy the first few hours of the day drinking coffee, reading, of course internetting, and cleaning. Even when I was working, I needed at least an hour (or2 hours) to myself before getting dressed and heading out.

I just find that now with the "current situation", the only thing I really do is go for a good long walk (as long as it's not raining ) and the occasional food shopping. I find I am getting lazier and lazier and dawdling so much in the morning that i's even getting on MY nerves.

So much of this is because if I go for my walk earlier, then I really have like 10 or 12 hours to figure out at home. I am pretty caught up on realistic projects; the only one that is calling my name is the photo organization. We will be starting a kitchen remodel and the cabinets have been emptied since just about when the shut down started. Maybe I should go through the stuff again?

It's amazing how little we actually do use.

Anyone else finding they are putting off taking action?

• salonva

• dedtired

Yes, me! I am stunned by how little I actually accomplish in a day. Unlike you, I have never been an early riser. I struggled with mornings the entire time I worked. Now I get up at eight and then dawdle until 9:30. I have a long mental to-do list for the day but I’m lucky to get to one third of it. Usually the unavoidable things like bill paying get done but I have yet to get to many of my Coronavirus projects.

I always try to get as much yard work done at this time of year as I can because by the end of June it’s too hot to be out there and the bugs are pestering me the whole time.

My decision making skills have not improved any since shutdown either, which has always been an impediment to accomplishing things. I am one of those flat squirrels that gets squished in the road because they can’t decide which way to go.

Can this long living room become a dining room?

Thanks so much. I love the idea of upholstered end chairs. . Do you think I have enough room for a sitting area plus the dining table in this 10.5x 17.5 foot room? Our current dining room is being used as a reading room and we'll miss it a little (though we'll gain much more in combining it to the kitchen. Do you think the living room is big enough for the dining room table and perhaps two sitting chairs in front of the fireplace? If so, any thoughts on lighting the space? So grateful to have help here!

Crawl space of shame: how can this become a source of pride?!

If I am understanding your question correctly, I can already access the crawl space from the closet. If I move the amp it can be a continuous crawl space, but as is, large amp is serving as a "wall" between the two that can easily be wheeled out, if needed! :) I tried to include the "black amp wall" in the photos but it's a little hard to make out.

Has the living room become just an extension of the kitchen?

Eating and congregating go well together

When Your Driveway Becomes a Street

Em, I haven't noticed anything since Sunday afternoon. Maybe those big empty pots are doing the trick. The high school actually started today...I thought it was next week. Geez...whatever happened to school starting right after Labor Day? Anyway, either my pots are helping, or maybe Mr. GMC Sierra is too busy with his students to be cruising in and out of driveways!
  • blfenton

I am one of those flat squirrels that gets squished in the road because they can’t decide which way to go.-dedtired

That is so funny, but it has also become me. There was always a rhythm and routine to my day but not anymore. My mornings up until around 11 are the same. Up, coffee, banana, check in here and then meet a friend for a run or hike. After 11 I find myself standing in the kitchen twirling around with indecision.

Normally I would be doing and planning my planter boxes and going to the nursery. But we;re in the middle of a major landscape reno and the nurseries are too crowded for me right now.

• salonva

Ha I love both of your comments. And then there's the maybe I should go buy flowers for my planters .........but maybe I should do that tomorrow so I have something to do then..............

• georgysmom2

I became a dawdler several years ago so I cannot blame it on the virus.

• FinallyHome

Yes! My initial plans go out the window.

• Lars

I've actually been able to get more done than usual, I think, but then I work on projects to keep me distracted. I'm watching less TV now, and so I've been spending more time sewing. I've collected so much fabric and sewing supplies over the years and often wondered if I would ever get around to using them, and now seems like the perfect time for that.

• DawnInCal

I've always dawdled in the mornings, but I think of it more as my morning routine. When I was working, there was no time to dawdle, but now that I'm retired, I embrace my dawdledge. I usually get up between 7:30 - 8:00. The first thing I do is make tea and enjoy an hour of tea time while browsing the internet. After that, I exercise for about an hour, then make breakfast and eat which takes another hour. By then, it's nearing 11:00 and I take a shower and get dressed.

At noon, I am ready to start the rest of the day and I find that after the relaxing morning, I'm ready to tackle whatever tasks need to be done. The lockdown hasn't really changed my routine except that I'm no longer getting together with friends occasionally or going out to dinner with hubby.

• Annegriet

Yes and i hate it! I don't like this version of myself!

• adellabedella_usa

I'm a natural dawdler. I've been more motivated again lately. I gave up coffee a few days ago. That's been ok until afternoon. I miss my caffeine, but I feel better. I'm finding things to do again and that helps. We going for a picnic and drive tomorrow. A change of pace will help.

• Elmer J Fudd

For me, the less I have to get done, the less I get done. And the opposite is also the case.

There was a saying I came upon during my working years that rang true immediately. If you want something done well and promptly, give it to the person who's the busiest. Underlying that sentiment is the fact that someone who's the busiest is so because of their capabilities, and being so busy requires organization and a "get it done" approach to function.

• nicole___

No. I've started gardening my rental properties. Monday we cut an old diseased tree down. I did 9 hours, out in the sun Tuesday, digging dandelions, cutting tree branches. Then Thursday I sanded and stained the underside of the deck stairs. Took me about 3 hours. I finished staining ALL the support trusses. Now I'm picking up pine cones by the bushel.....for hours at a time. Saturday we're hauling all the branches to a recycler. Sunday we're volunteering.....

• OutsidePlaying

I fully dawdle for at least an hour, sometimes two. It depends on if I decide to go for a run or walk and when. Then after that I might go like crazy doing stuff outside (if not raining) or inside until around lunch which might be around noon or later. Then I just stare at things around the house and wonder what to do next.

• maire_cate

I'm a morning person so my usual routine (preCovid) was up at 5:30 or 6 and then to the gym for 2 hours of water exercise classes at least 4 days a week. That was a great way to start the day, invigorating and ready to tackle projects.

I still get up at the same time but then I have coffee, open the laptop, watch the morning news, maybe read the paper do laundry or dust, meet my neighbors for a 2 mile walk and then that's it.

When this all began I thought - Great, there are so many projects I can work on - scan photos, sew, re-arrange closets and cupboards, video and catalogue the house for insurance, look for a new car................haven't done any of them. I fear I'm becoming a slug........which is probably unfair to the slug.

We have done a lot of gardening but our yard is small so that's not a big deal. We've already harvested the last of the lettuce crop and planted herbs, annuals and tomatoes.

• dedtired

Maire cate, just the thought of getting in a pool at that hour gives me the shivers, and I love to swim. I am laughing that you e done no Coronavirus projects. Neither have I and I keep reminding myself that there’s no reason I can’t do them once the shutdown is over!

• greenshoekitty

I have not become one, I am one. Over the years I have learned that I must not read one more page, or start something or I shall for sure be late, and I dislike that very much. I do find now that I must take more care so as not to dawdle.

• yeonassky

Yes I am a dawdler. I come by it naturally. I was born into a family of dawdlers. The only ones who weren't were my second eldest sister and my father. Obviously I didn't get the non dawdler's gene. :(

Today was a bit more productive as first thing this morning I planted out my Elijah Blue grasses and several other plants before son dogs and I went for a walk. I also put the breakfast dishes in the dishwasher and got it going. DH makes breakfast. He is definitely not a dawdler.

• hounds_x_two

Nope! I have not become a dawdler; I have always been one! I have gotten some things accomplished during this time, but my list remains long...because I dawdle...and I lollygag!

• maire_cate

Oh dedtired, please don't think I'm swimming - that's a real workout. I do aqua boot camp which is much easier on the knees. The pool water is about armpit high and there's a variety of weights that we use during class. I love the water so it's fun but with cardio and strength training thrown in.

I think the only project that I've crossed off my to-do list is clean out my desk and file cabinets.

edited to add that I've also put on 5 pounds. ugh

• glenda_al

Most certainly

• marylmi

Kind of.... Lol

• salonva

Well the good news is we have a clear answer for how the best answer seems to be designated. I just saw that the post I did with the photo seems to have garnered 7 likes and that appears to be the most- AND now it says Best Answer and does show up twice in teh thread.

• salonva

oh and I was able to like and thank some, but not all. So please know I like and thank each one of the comments.

• sableincal

Is everyone acquainted with that phrase "She's/He's getting up there" ? Well, I 've gotten "up there". And I love today's phrase about dawdledge. In fact, it's so good that next time I'm in the den and DH calls out "watcha doin' ?" I'm going to call back that "I'm embracing my dawdlege." In fact, am going to share it with my doctor, too, knowing that he will say "just so long as you take your dawdledge out for a walk sometimes."

Thank you!

• phoggie

Absolutely! No one is coming, so why clean the house? I am not going anywhere, so why curl my hair?......but I do still shower daily! I spend way too much time watching TV and on this IPad!

• sephia_wa

I have! When the quarantine first started, I got a lot of projects done around my home. I have a few more things I could do, but continue to put them off. "I'll do that later" is something I commonly think. Or thinking, "nah, I don't want to do that." Plus my sleep hours have become a bit screwy. I've been staying up too late, then getting up late. I hate that because if feels like I've wasted part of my day.

• jkayd_il5

My days of jumping out of bed, running to the shower, doing hair and make-up, getting dressed, grabbing something quick to eat and running out the door to work are DONE. I get up when I want to and dilly dally as long as I want. There is an ad on TV with an alarm clock ringing, I hate that ad. It almost gives me the shivers because it sounds just like my alarm did.

• blfenton

I think we need to define the term "dawdle". Is it dawdling to spend time on the computer with you guys or am I getting together with friends and having a conversation which is always a good thing. Yes, I'm talking with my fingers rather than my voice but....

And think of it this way, having spent time here and on a couple of other GW forums over the past several years has set us up perfectly for being locked up at home during this pandemic. Sooo, has the past several years being a part of dawdling or.....were we in training for just this situation.

Now the term that jkayd used of dilly-dally, I rather like that one.

• maire_cate

blfenton - love it! I didn't realize that we've been training for this situation. No wonder I'm doing such a super job! Thanks for pointing that out.