frankielynnsie

North GA woodlands plant #1

frankielynnsie

Need an ID for this plant growing in a shady area, sends out runners of new plantlets.

• macranthos

That isn’t a Mimulus whichhave opposite foliage. It’s a basal rosette of some sort. You can see the new rolled leaf unfurling.

Featured Answer
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Was the area very damp? It is reminiscent of a Mimulus. Although I believe the name might have changed.

• Jay 6a Chicago

Floral, why does it remind you of Mimulus?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Because that's a bit like what Mimulus leaves look like? And it has runners. http://www.aphotoflora.com/images/phrymaceae/mimulus_guttatus_monkeyflower_leaves_shoot_tip_16-06-11_1.jpg

I emphasise that it's only a suggestion.

• Jay 6a Chicago

Guttata leaves do look similar, but it's a western species. The two Mimulus species in Georgia, alatus, ringens, have lanceolate leaves. Mimulus guttatatus is now Erythranthe guttata, (Fisch DC.) G.L. Nesom. It's possible someone in the east could be growing it.

• frankielynnsie

It is a wild plant and it is in the deep woods with all shade on a bank. I will keep watching it for flowers.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I saw the new leaf unrolling but assumed it was two leaves. I thought it was opposite But seems not.

Fairfield County's Dedicated Team of General Contractors For 15+ Yrs