editoria

Safety question re broken microwave bulb

Alisande
4 days ago

I tried unsuccessfully to replace the bulb in the underside of my over-the-range Whirlpool microwave. Unlike my previous Whirlpool microwave, the designers of this one must have done their best to place it in the most inaccessible spot imaginable. I had to watch a YouTube video just to know what kind of screwdriver to use to get the cover off.

When I touched the bulb it fell into my hand. It wasn't broken; it had just become detached from its base. The base remained screwed in. I unplugged the microwave and tried several times to remove the base, but it hasn't budged. The location makes it harder because I can't see what I'm doing.

My question is this: Given that situation, is it safe to leave the microwave plugged in all the time? It probably sounds like a silly question, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks!

Comments (5)