bruce_hansen

Is Tiger Eyes Sumac a tree or a shrub?

Bruce Hansen

I have a spot for a Tiger Eyes Sumac (Rhus typhina 'Bailtiger') but am not sure if the plant I'm buying is a tree or a shrub. Online nurseries identify it as both, and some state the growth as up to 6' x 6', but others as up to 10' x 12'. I would prefer something with more or a tree habit with a visible trunk at the bottom and spreading on top.

How do I tell what I'm getting is a tree vs. a shrub? Or is it all the same, just depending on how you prune it? I've attached an example of each to show what I'm talking about. Basically I'm wondering how do I tell if the plant I'm buying is the top or the bottom.

Yardvaark

It's going to be a not too tall tree that grows in dense thickets. The bottom picture, above, is a young pup.

Bruce Hansen thanked Yardvaark
  • Christopher C Nc

It is a slow growing dwarf selection that will be a shrub for a long time before ever making a small tree height. If you want a single trunk you will have to select and train for that as needed. The biggest factor in whether it becomes a small tree is going to be your climate and growing conditions. The local environment plays a big role in how these will grow and develope.

• Jj J

In my experience, sumac is pretty insistent, sending runners all over the place, including neighboring yards. If you don’t mind keeping that in line, the fall color is so very lovely. I hope your variety is better behaved than my neighbor’s was.

Bruce Hansen thanked Jj J
  • Bruce Hansen

So it sounds like it's all the same; it depends on how you train it. @JJ the nursery claims that this variety spreads less than other Sumacs but I'll keep a close eye on it.

Fairfield County's Source for Exceptional Interior Design & Service