Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenho_mi_z5

Western exposure easy climbing roses?

GardenHo_MI_Z5
3 years ago

Is there such a thing?

I‘d prefer (2) fragrant pink ones with minimal thorns that stays somewhat small, as they would be climbing my tall porch Railings. This door/porch is not used but is covered by an awning. Of course a fast grower would be a plus! I know...a tall order lol. Also the bed is rather small and I’m not sure how much root space is needed? Unfortunately it can’t be expanded as it is up against a sidewalk.

I have tried Carolina Jessamine, but they have not done well due to our short season.

It seems like an awful lot to ask I know and I would appreciate any help or suggestions you may have, thank you!

Comments (27)

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    3 years ago

Felix Leclerc?

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.44124

I don't garden in your zone and I don't have personal experience with this rose. I am going on hearsay so maybe those with direct experience can weigh in.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

Viking Queen?

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

John Davis is wrapped around my front porch post. He has long, flexible canes. There is absolutely no winter die back with this hardy to z2, Canadian rose. His fragrance is nice, but not strong. This area gets more shade than sun. I can't find a current photo.

Baby John Davis

Now, 15 years later, he not only goes up the post, he drapes himself across the railing, too.

3 years ago

That photo is John Davis flowers. John Cabot is dark pink/red. That is a great choice flowers offered because extra hardy will allow more security for the climber in Winter. Viking Queen is z 5.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago

Thanks, Sheila. I meant J Davis. I edited it.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Wow! I did not realize John Davis was low thorn. I was going to suggest Felix LC or Victorian Memory .

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for all the suggestions. Going to go look them up. That John Davis is so pretty!!

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    3 years ago

Viking Queen is beautiful but it dies back every year for me, don’t know if it would get big enough for you or not.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

I have seen it grow very large in Z5Ohio, but it is very thorny. However, it's certainly one of the favorites in my garden.

3 years ago

I was so grateful anything stayed alive in Alaska, I do not remember John Davis thorns. I agree the hardier the better for a climber to grow large.

• portlandmysteryrose
    3 years ago

If you are okay with a WHITE rose and a once bloomer, I'd recommend Madame Plantier. She is thornless (or so close to almost that I've never noticed one), her delicious fragrance wafts, her blooms are sublime (especially in the evening) and they are perfectly matched to her lovely blue-green foliage, she takes well to pruning--whatever needs to be pruned off for whatever reasons, she can be stretched along a railing and she is very hardy (3b). She will need to stretch quite a ways, so if your railing isn't long you might try Celestial instead. I'm looking for a photo.... I know she's not your first color choice, but she might be worth considering.

Another Alba, one that is PINK and not too thorny, is Celestial. She is ethereal when backlit and can be grown as a climber and stretched along a railing. Her fragrance is delicious and she is very disease resistant and hardy to zone 5b. In my experience, Albas are tough cookies and once I've allowed their roots to multiply in a couple of nursery pots, they can be planted in difficult locations and tight soil quarters.

I am also a fan of the Explorer Series of climbers. (Yes, I used to live in Minnesota.) In my experience, both John Davis and John Cabot have thorns, but they are lovely in bloom, reliably hardy to 2b and healthy.

Carol

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • portlandmysteryrose
    3 years ago

Madame Plantier just for consideration. The spider is a bonus. :-)

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Gorgeous!!

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I do love the white but my house is mostly white, so that’s why I prefer a pink shade or even burgundy.

Can any of you recommend any good online sources to purchase these beauties?

3 years ago

High Country Roses or Northland Rosarium are great mail order companies.

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sheila thank you!

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What about Ramblin red? (Getting brave as I have no red whatsoever in my gardens)

Do You think it would do well?

3 years ago

Take a look at Cherry Frost, was cane hardy for me here, it’s a shorter climber. Or Florentina. Sorry no experience with RR

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    3 years ago

THE red is Quadra. It's thorny, but indestructible. It is hardier than Ramblin' Red, and much more disease resistant. It just started blooming Friday, so this year's pictures aren't taken yet. This is last year.

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Dingo thank you. I really like that Florentina for its form and size.

Mad that is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing I’m going to go look that one up :)

3 years ago

Mad I keep missing out on Quadra!

3 years ago

Quadra is the best!

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • portlandmysteryrose
    3 years ago

Quadra--Wow!

I had another thought: Complicata makes a beautiful pink climber! Hardy to zone 4b so it should be plenty cane hardy in your area. It's pretty indestructible, healthy, fragrant and thornless/almost. Takes well to pruning after bloom and doesn't sulk when you slice off chunks that are growing in the wrong way for your purpose. Being a Gallica (hybrid), it's got to be good, right? :-)

Carol

• Karen F
    3 years ago

What about Don Juan one?? I have blaze roses and the big one had over 20 blooms on it last year but is having issues this year with the sawfly larvae. But my 2nd one has 3 blooms on it and it isn't that high yet!!! Will cover them up this year. This is my blaze from last year. Shocked out of my shoes to see this many blooms on it. But once they are gone that is it. But I am not complaining. More than what I saw with the finicky hollyhocks. Died before they even could get so tall never mind any flowers on them. So took a chance and bought a blaze rose. First year grew to top of fence but no buds. Covered it up next year was cut back and like wow 20 buds on it!! Those aren't mine at the bottom btw.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked Karen F
  • Karen F
    3 years ago

Meant 3 buds so far and is half the size of this one pictured.

GardenHo_MI_Z5 thanked Karen F
    3 years ago

Don Juan is not for z 5.