fqatzob

What is my red twig dogwood 'Baileyi' suffering from?

DCF-Z6A

Purchased this dogwood shrub grin my local nursery. Leaves were all green. We planted it the next day - about a week ago - and it's now showing signs of illness. What is the likely problem and solution? Thank you!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

how about a pic of the whole.... one leaf does not necessarily make a problem ... i found the second pic ...

where are you.. big city name.. and cold events since you got it... was it from a local nursery who may have had a cold event.. or shipping in from god knows where to bigbox???

btw... notice it doesnt appear to be on newer growth ... but older lower/interior leaves ... if anything was going on back in time.. there may not be anything you need to do ...

moving from grower.. to seller to you.. is a lot of handling.. and stress ... so its not surprising some amount of this might not be just what we call.. mechanical damage ... rather than disease or bugs.. or whatever ...

ken

Shrub dogwoods can often suffer from a disfiguring leaf blight, aka leaf anthracnose. Not a big deal and does not really affect the health of the plant. You can just pluck off the leaves or if it gets very widespread, just cut the plant back hard. Which is recommended to do periodically anyway to encourage the brightly colored stem growth.

• DCF-Z6A

Thank you both. Ken, many of the answers you're seeking are in my original post ;-) but here again, plus the details you requested:

Z6A (south of Cleveland)

Purchased a week ago at a local nursery (not a big box store). The plant has the nursery's branded tag and they grow much of their own inventory.

We had late freezes and frosts and this shrub, of the few that remained, was the only one that appeared to not have issues, which is why I selected it. I can't say if the type of damage to the others was the same as what's occurring on this one - I didn't pay that much attention. I just saw that this one was the only of its kind that appeared bright green and healthy.

99% of new growth appears unaffected so far, but one of the attached pics shows yellowing of a area, including the new growth.

Gardengal, I'd wondered if anthracnose was the issue, but wasn't sure if it might be leaf or - the more destructive - spot anthracnose. Does the yellowing of leaves matter?

Thank you both!

What other info can I provide?

• DCF-Z6A

I'll add that about 10% of the plant appears to have the blackening leaves. Again, however, there were none when I purchased it.

Also, to clarify, there have been NO cold events SINCE purchase. We did have late season freezes and frosts prior to purchase, but we've had warmth and rain since purchase and planting.

"we've had warmth and rain since purchase and planting."

A perfect incubation condition for any fungal problem, which the leaf spot anthracnose is. And I'm not sure what you are reading but spot anthracnose is not really harmful to the plant unless a very severe case. It tends to be more cosmetic and disfiguring than anything else.

• DCF-Z6A

I stand corrected, Gardengal, thank you! I checked my source and note see it is Dogwood Anthracnose that seems to be destructive. But I couldn't decipher from their pics which ailment my shrub might have succumbed to, if either.

https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advice-tips-resources/pests-and-problems/diseases/fungal-spots/leaf-spots-of-dogwood.aspx

Dogwood anthracnose, Discula destructiva, is quite different and can be a serious and eventually a fatal issue. But to my knowledge, only affects flowering dogwood trees like Cornus florida or Cornus nuttallii.

• DCF-Z6A

@gardengal48, so the yellowing I'm starting to see of new growth is likely due to leaf spot as well? Assuming the issue doesn't appear to become overwhelming, should I just remove any unsightly leaves and wait and see? We're actually anticipating a cold front this weekend of lows in upper 50s and highs in mid to upper 60s for a couple days. Could that help halt the spread or will it simply pause the process?

Thank you so much for your time! I was so excited to get that guy into the ground and so sad to see it 'ill.' Sounds silly, I know!

• Embothrium

The Cappiello & Shadow Dogwoods book from Timber Press says the leaf spot is most bothersome in hot and dry summer climates. And talks about it being worst on certain horticultural selections.

• DCF-Z6A

We definitely haven't been dry up here this year! In terms of hot, we went from snow and freezing on May 10 to five straight days of rain to sunny upper 80s with high humidity last week and this.

Ann Arbor's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living