ellie_bolton

Help with Hoya Linearis and Dischidia Nummelaria

Ellie Bolton

Hi, plant people...does anyone know if Hoya & Dischidia can be planted in orchid bark alone? Both my Dischidia and Hoya are dying as housemate repotted in house plant mix a few months ago and bark/hydroleca is all the medium I have. everything sold from my local stores. Any suggestions? should I temporarily put in bark? Or will that further the damage? any help appreciated 🙏🏼 Ellie

• Andrea

Hey Ellie!

First of all.....that Hoya linearis!!!!! Stunner!

There should be no problem planting their of those in bark aside from having some stability issues. I don't think bark will provide as much stability and firm foundation for such large plants. Same with the leca. If you are using either of those or both at the same time (that would be some serious drainage, lol), then you will need to make sure you have the plant supported so that the length of the plant doesn't force it to become uprooted and fall out.

Depending on where you live and what is accessible to you, you can order compost from a local farmer or you can order soil amendments on Amazon.

Another thing to keep in mind is your fertilizer. If you have amazing drainage, that will be awesome to prevent root rot, but your fertilizer will run out quickly as well. You could avoid this by creating a wick system where you water and fertilize from the bottom so that the plant can take what it needs. I personally have a wick system created for a lot of my plants (especially with leca) and they love it! I am a big advocate for semi-hydro systems on house plants.

Good luck!

Ellie Bolton thanked Andrea
    Best Answer
  • KarenS, NYC

Why do you think they're dying? That seems rather an overstatement. If those are current pix, they look fine. On close up the leaves just look thirsty, suggesting a soak might help. I'd take cuttings of both to root in water so you can have more of the plants, should you need to restart them.

Why is your roommate repotting your plants? I'd ask them not to 'help' you w/ them unless they share the plants. That H Linearis is lovely, don't see those everyday.

I don't know the answer to your question; there's also a Hoya forum here, you might find an answer if you post there.

I grow both Hoyas & Dischidias but use a combination of roughly 1/3 each C&S mix, Bark & Perlite.

I'm confused, Bark & Hydro Leca are 2 different things: are you saying yours are mixed together?

• KarenS, NYC

Hi Andrea,

Pls clarify if your speaking from the UK as the word 'compost' means different things in the US vs the UK.

In the UK it seems to mean soil, whereas in the US it's the result of composting, the encouraged deliberate decay of various kinds of organic materials over time to make a combined, richly organic soil mix. We wouldn't recommend that for indoors or container growing, so that's why I ask.

Ellie: I would not replant in just soil or just bark, neither will be supportive or quick draining enough. May I pls ask are you new to plants?

Pls don't do anything yet, give me a day or 2 to try & get my resident Hoya / Dischidia guru to respond. She goes by 'Denise in Omaha'. Let's see if I can find her.

Ellie Bolton thanked KarenS, NYC
  • Denise

Hi Ellie,

Unless you are an overwaterer, I would not use just bark. Where do you live?... that can make a difference in what the best media is. As both Andrea and Karen pointed out, I don't think you have anything to worry about with the linearis - it looks great! The nummelaria needs a good reviving, however. Did it get neglected for awhile, or do you think the roots are dead? I would try to salvage with cuttings in straight leca (hydroton), keeping a bit of water in the cache pot at all times. Keep it out of any direct sun until it plumps back up... a bright warm spot is ideal. I've had plants come back from being severely dehydrated this way. HTH...

Denise in Omaha

• Ellie Bolton

Hi Karen/Andrea,

Thanks you for your responses..very much appreciated!

I have a tonne of houseplants which I’ve collected for years but not at all clued up with Epiphyte type plants and have never repotted them.

I left them with my housemate whilst I was away for a couple of months and I think she thought she was being helpful and repotted the mix they were in with a regular houseplant soil I had.

The reason I say dying is because the roots of both are dried/shrivelling up when I left Both the Dischidia and Hoya were flowering, leaves were plump green and healthy looking (how they have looked for a couple of years) and now are shrivelling, going pale and chalky. The Hoya is drooping (in comparison to my other linearis which wasn’t repotted) dropping lots of it’s leaves and the leaves also feel chalky. I left a detailed watering schedule and all my other 40+ plants seem to be perfectly fine it’s just the Epiphythe ones so I’m assuming it’s because of the soil mix she’s used being too heavy and not a watering issue.

Im in the uk...have queued up at 5 different garden centres looking for C&S mix to add with the bark I have but shelves are wiped out. I wondered if I could use just bark alone or just leca as those are the only medium I have. I have no experience with leca but hear a lot of people in US switching over just not sure if it’s suitable for Epiphytes. Gosh im loosing sleep over these plants. There’s so much conflicting views. Hopefully Denisa in Omaha can shed some light!

Thank you both again!

• Ellie Bolton

Hi Denise, think our replies crossed over. Thanks for your comment. As mentioned above -I am in the UK. Always confusing when as UK/US call all the potting mediums different names. I have no clue what to do about the soil situation. I know the pics of Hoya look ok but I can tell somthing wrong, its pale green and limp. The roots don’t look great either. I will attach pics of my other Hoya which escaped the repot so you can see the difference. Wondering if I should keep trying to get some Cactus and Succ mix and combine that with the bark I have?

• Denise

I wouldn't use C&S mix. My mix is coir and perlite (regular, not the chunky I use to propagate...) Do you have access to coir? Just make sure if you use coir, you get the fine stuff, not the stuff that's more like orchid bark. But if you have leca on hand, just repot into that. Leca by itself is a great media for Hoyas. Just make sure it doesn't go completely dry.

Denise in Omaha

• KarenS, NYC

Really Denise,

Plain Leca stone works for Hoyas w/a bit of water? Who knew? (Teasingly w/ hand on hip, you never told me that)

I recently discovered they work great for Holiday cacti too. That's all these guys are in. FYI Ellie: these are also Epiphytes, naturally growing among the crotches of tree branches.

Ellie,

Trusting you don't mind my digression, since I did find us Denise ;>) Glad I found her quickly & she responded fast (thx Denise). I was concerned you might want to combine the soil w/ the Leca which I thought would go badly.

Thanks for such good explanation of why you thought your plants were ailing. The contrast btwn your 2 Linearis plants is quite clear. Any chance that your roommate saved the old mix?

From size & general look of those plants I didn't think you could be new to plants. The size of your 2 Linearises is amazing, Denise & I were marveling together about them.

I wish you were in America so I could ask you to pls share some of it w/ me. I've rarely seen any 1/2 that size!

• Ellie Bolton

I’ve finally managed to get hold of some coir and perlite ...waiting for the delivery...fingers crossed it’s not too late and I can bring them back!

Karen I would most definitely of shared some Linearis had we been a bit closer. I love a good plant share. I’ve found them pretty easy...they don’t mind being a bit squashed in their pot so ive never has to fuss too much over reporting them.

That holiday cacti in leca looks v healthy indeed! thanks for sharing.

Thank you both for your time, advice and ..for Karen putting me in touch with Denise ;)

• KarenS, NYC

You are so welcome; am happy to help & I'm sure Denise will agree. I don't recall if she's also at Houseplants regularly, that's why I reached out to her privately.

For future, here's the link to Hoya Forum, that way if you make a post including both forums, other Hoya folks will see it as well.

At the end of an original post, one will be offered which of 3 sites to post it at, so you'll know to say Houseplants & Hoyas (I also post same to Cactus & Succulent forum since some folks consider these succulents or semi-succulents).

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/hoya

I had a really hard time w/ Linearis & lost it. If I see it again I'll get some & look to you for instructions! ;>)

Loudoun County Interior Designer- 7x Best of Houzz