meems15

PORCH LIGHT: TOO BIG??

Michelle NJ

Hi!! Can anyone tell me if the scale of this light fixture is too large? I have another similar one that is 4 inches shorter so it looks more square rather than rectangle. On the left I plan to put 5” modern house numbers in black and a large horizoltal rectangular mailbos beneath it mounted to the siding. Please advise. Thx!

• calidesign

The size of the light looks fine. You might consider mounting the house numbers under the light or to the right of the light, with the mailbox to the left of the door, so the numbers can be read at night.

Featured Answer
  • mer03

Lovely, not too big, IMO!

Is a 36" light fixture with 4 lights too big for a 48" vanity?

How big is the mirror? How big is the bathroom? Are you trying to light the whole room with this light or will there be other lights in the room?

Drum light too big?

Oh, and Pottery Barn has the same fixture in a 19" wide.

New Exterior Light Too Big & Address Number Ideas?

Could you replace the house numbers with numbers large enough to cover the holes made for the light, putting the numbers where you remove that too-big light fixture. You really need a light fixture to light the doorway and guests entering -- you want to see who it is that you're letting in at night even before you open the door. Where the large light is currently hung, that doesn't happen. It appears you may already have a light hanging down in front of the door; however, if that is a pane of a window in the door I see rather than a light I see in front of the door and since the stoop is so small and any light hung on the outside wall might well seem out of place, perhaps for lighting the front door and any guests standing at your front door you could consider using a recessed light in or other light affixed to the overhang. If you hung this light in the peak of the gable to light the front yard, it likely wouldn't look as much too big. If you still have the original box and all the parts and wrappers, you may be able to return it -- but maybe not if it looks used.

Entry light too big?

I re-read your post. I assume that the 44" is the total length of the light including the chain and ceiling canopy. is there any way hat you can add chain so that the bottom of the lfixture is 7 ft from the floor. another question that may need to be answered ---- is where is the chandelier located in respect to the entry doors or interior doors? do the door heights limit how low the the fixture can be hung?
  • freedomplace1

Looks good.

You don’t have room by the door, but flanking first step, maybe add a couple of planters with bold colored flowers. (Can place them on the grass area on both sides of first step up.)

• houssaon

I think it is the right size, but the bare bulb looks off. Is a piece missing?

• decoenthusiaste

Best is 1/3 the door's height. I think it works but don't like the bare bulb look.

• skmom

Looks like a good proportion to me! Just replace the bulb with a clear glass led bulb.

• suezbell

Looks fine.

• Michelle NJ

What is alternative to the bare bulb? What might clear glass bulb look like? I really like the round bulb—I replaced the long, auburn edison bulb it came with as I prefer tounded and very bright.

• skmom

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-100-watt-replacement-1490-Lumen/dp/B00HS7PIVE/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=100+watt+clear+led+light+bulbs&qid=1591146780&sr=8-9

Hopefully the link above works... something like that. It’s similar to what I have in the three lanterns around my garage.

• skmom

Oh darn! The ones I posted are halogen... I didn’t look at the product description closely enough. But there are led ones that look basically the same.

• Michelle NJ

skmom, Unfortunately I don't see any pics?

• skmom

I’m not sure I know how to properly put a link in the comments. (I’m not the most computer savvy, LOL!) But I just went to amazon and typed in “clear led light bulbs” and quite a few options came up. Do double check because sometimes halogen bulbs show up in the search, but there are led options in multiple watt equivalents. I’ve bought some at places like Walmart or the big box home improvement stores... they’re out there in non-Edison styles. (Which I’m not a fan of either...)

• houssaon

The bulb has a brass base that shows. Any way to cover that up?

Design Interior South

I think the light size is fine. But I think its a little boring. If going for a more modern vibe then embrace it and bring in a more modern shape light.

Or a little less modern but still a different look

I feel like the glass isnt working on the light.

You didn't ask but curious if you have ever considered a new color for your door/s?

Paint Colors · More Info

Paint Colors · More Info

Chartreuse would be great as well.

Both would look great against the navy blue.

Curious .....are those pieces of paper lying on your walk? Or is that some type of design in the concrete?

• Michelle NJ

Thanks!! So funny—I actually did ask re: door color! But I think I posted as separate question. And I noted I’d been thinking of orange (the pic you posted is in my saved pics) but thought I may chicken out. :)

• Michelle NJ

Oh—and I’d wanted a long black cyllinder as a porch light but my husband’s vision is not the best and he really wants it to be very bright there so glass was most practical choice—but I agree that ideally it needs more weight aesthetically. Any suggestions re super modern house numbers?

Design Interior South

House numbers

CB2 has some great priced ones

Etsy also

Rejuvenation has some nice ones but much more $$$

Google Modern Black House Numbers and you will see all there is to see! Looking at the house and the way the doorway sits with the railing it is going to look off balance with the numbers and mailbox to the left of the door. Consider doing a chrome light, black mailbox with chrome letters on it all the the one side of your door

• Michelle NJ

Great ideas. Thanks. Also looking to modernize awful railings and add some kind of portico so guests can ring bell and wait under some kind of covering—rainy days are rough. And Design Interior South, those are decorative pieces of slate I think (though 1 got loose once and seemed more like a slightly floppy vinyl?) They are original to the house—which we bought from original owners who lived here since 1964. I think I like them.

• Michelle NJ

Feel free to post pic ideas—I’ve got zero clue. Though thinking maybe horizontal railings??

• Snaggy

Looks fine.

• Michelle NJ

Designer Interior South, where can I find that long tubular light bulb? Think that might work better in current fixture.

• Michelle NJ

Here is the suggested light for fixture but I need white/bright light and modern—not auburn and not edison bulb. Specific suggestions? Pics? Thx!!

Design Interior South

I would go to a local lighting store to find the light bulb.

As far as a porch/portico much will depend on your budget. Hard to tell from your photos but you may need to extend the size of your stoop to do something that works scale wise with your home.

In an ideal world with an open budget I would do something really cool with a pyramid hipped roof. or something really incredible like a glass one with clean lines that tie into the railings and do cable and black steel railings

I think you need to first decide how modern you want to take the house. Figure out what you can do within the budget you have set aside for the project etc. Then you need an architect to figure out how you will tie into your roof line.

• Michelle NJ

Wow. Beautiful. We are at the very end of house reno (that we have been living through!) and our budget is unfortunately blown 😞. Porch can get maybe $800-1000. And that would include new railings and some kind of roof structure—thinking maybe some portico that is grounded outside of the concrete on porch to give impression that porch is wider without actually widening it. Here is pic of full front of house. Thx!!

Design Interior South

Your best bet is to save for this project and plan on doing it in a future date. Those amounts won't even pay for the materials needed to really do what is required. You wouldnt even get a canvas awning. I would work on the landscaping, trim up the hedges they are over powering the house. , pull what needs to be pulled , work on the lawn etc. Then paint the front door, work on the light, numbers and mail box you want. I would clean up the walk way by power washing it and reattach the vinyl pieces as they look like they are coming up, hence why I though you had paper pieces laying there. Clean up the the outside, get rid of the bench, ottoman and other items scattered out front. If you need a front seating area consider carving out an area to make a gravel and stone seating area and get some cool modern outdoor chairs to use.

Get a couple modern Planters to flank the anding there. You will need narrow ones

Michelle NJ thanked Design Interior South
    RL Relocation LLC

With out reading all the comments, the light is a good size but does not give enough contrast or Umph against the house and is lost, you need a more solid state fixture to really show it off.

• Michelle NJ

Any ideas for the left side of the house? It originally had shutters but when we changed siding, I removed them to get more modern look. But now looks bare and unbalanced. I was thinking flower boxes? Saw on HGTV that could even use fake flowers for no maintenance! Any pics of flower boxes with more modern aesthetic that could work? (See full house pic above). Thx!!

RL Relocation LLC

What do you have planned for the landscape? before you tackle flower boxes, I would tackle the landscape

RL Relocation LLC

I would consider adding pavers, steps from the drive wall, stain the fence darker or replace with horizontal fencing.

Michelle NJ thanked RL Relocation LLC
    Michelle NJ thanked RL Relocation LLC
    Design Interior South

I don't think flower boxes go with the modern esthetic you have started creating. Beef of the trim around the windows to match balance the thick trim on the bump out window.

Again voices the landscaping is going to make a huge difference in the presentation of the house.

• Michelle NJ

Design Interior South, ideas re: how to "reattach" those vinyl pieces in/on the concrete? Detach each one and then use some kind of weather-protected glue to reattach again? I also think one fell out and no idea where it went so would need to figure out how to replace it. Thoughts? Thanks again so much!!

• Michelle NJ

And how’s this look? I’d do black 5” numbers run vertically on lefthand side starting at sconce height. If anyone can figure out way to photoshop that, go for it! (Ps. My 9year old was a trooper today—that mailbox was not light!). Thx in advance!

Design Interior South

I have no clue on the vinyl pieces on the walk way to be honest. I have never seen anything like them. Personally I would remove them but you said you like them so I suppose you would need to hire someone who can reattach them?

The mail box looks way to big/beefy for the space in the last first photo but its possibly the angle because it doesn't look as large in the second photo. Either way its going to need to be lowered. Open the lid up completely and then place it. Does that drop it about 6"-8"?

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)

I haven’t read all the comments but I have a similar light with clear glass by my garage door and I specifically looked for more “decorative bulbs” with an elongated shape and clear glass that gave off a bright white light and not light with a yellowish cast.

Mailbox does seem kind of large and make sure you leave room to open the lid. Can you find something a little more interesting on Etsy? That’s where I found my address plaque.

RL Relocation LLC

I still think the light fixture could be better!

Michelle NJ thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)

You won’t see black numbers against the dark siding and the numbers need to be visible for emergency personnel. Dark numbers against a light background or light numbers against a dark background. Are the black numbers mounted on a light colored plaque of some sort?

When we replaced our siding, we also removed the shutters and the solution to enhancing the windows and balancing the look was wider window trim. Window boxes do not work with the look you are creating.

RES, architect

The aluminum storm door prevents adding color to the entry door unless you are willing to sand the factory finish and paint it too.
    The stoop is a tough issue. Could you mount a wood cap on the existing ironwork? A portico would be very expensive to make attractive.
    What is the bulb in the light fixture? It looks very odd. Is it fluorescent? If so, it’s an odd choice for an exterior fixture. Is that a warning sticker above i? Is it upside down? It looks like something you would break in case of an emergency.

• katinparadise

I believe this is the type of bulb you are looking for. https://www.shadesoflight.com/products/60-watt-clear-tubular-t10-medium-base-bulb-1?

These are the house numbers I used on my house and suggested for another poster. They are 5" and are elevated so they cast a pretty shadow when they're lit up. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-in-Elevated-Black-Number-6-30766/303974723

• Michelle NJ

Thanks everyone. Yes. The bilb looks weird. It is temporary until I find tubular one that wotks.