mainstgarden_pa_z6

Ugh. Is this RRD?

Main St Garden PA z6

I just found out about RRD yesterday from the recent thread on this forum. I'm so glad I read that. This rose has been looking a little "funny" (frilly leaves mostly) for a few weeks and just now I put two and two together.

Please tell me this isn't RRD?

I read some things from Penn State about RRD yesterday. On a walk that evening with my dogs, I identified what I believe to be the multiflora rose that carries the disease. I counted at least 15 bushes on the trail that meanders by a creek that runs through my town. I walk my dogs there at least every other day. This time of year, more days than not.

I feel stick to my stomach. This rose has been on my front porch in proximity to so many other roses I potted this spring: Munstead Wood, Charles Darwin, Emily Bronte, Grace, and Ambridge Rose. They could so easily all be infected. And these potted roses have been sitting on a ledge that has several climbers I have planted in the ground not far below. I mean, if this is RRD, then by now I feel like every single rose on my property could be infected. I've probably been spreading the mites around this whole time myself. Plus we have had several very windy days.

What is the earliest sign that I can look for to try and identify it in all my other roses?

Who do I contact about multiflora rose bushes everywhere? My local rose society, ag extension, my town borough?

I've already quarantined the affected rose in my garage. I will be disposing of it in the garbage soon.

I was so happy with my roses this morning. Boy, did I hit a hard 180. I appreciate the help...

Matt

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)

I want to encourage you not to freak out too much or despair. :) RRD is indeed an awful disease and it makes me sick when I see roses infected with it. However, I am surrounded with horrible specimens of infected multiflora, and I have yet to have a rose in my garden succumb (6+ years). Just because it is in the area doesn’t mean your rose garden is doomed. :)

Main St Garden PA z6 thanked Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
    Best Answer
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Hi Matt ! That doesn’t look like rrd , to me . Do you use herbicides ? Is it possible a neighbor may have and it drifted ?

Rrd is so angry and ugly looking .

• Main St Garden PA z6

@Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca oh my gosh, really, that would be so fantastic. No, I don't use herbicides, but I do spray neem oil. Neighbor on one side definitely doesn't, and neighbor on the other side does, but they haven't been home for months. They have been holing up in their vacation home in FL. Their lawn/property is a mess because nobody has attended to it (well they have their neighbor's kid on the other side mowing, but all of their garden beds have been taken over by weeds).

Is there anything else it could be?

• mad_gallica

Freeze damage.

• subk3

Try to look beyond the leaves and look more at structure. Lots of things can cause frilly leaves, funny colored leaves, funny shaped leaves, but what do the stems and the structure of the plant look like?

To me, RRD usually looks like someone stuck on a portion of a different plant. Things are weird thicknesses, weird thorniness, weird abundance of growth. It doesn't fit with the rest of the plant. And it is growth that was always abnormal not a stem that was normal then changed. Also keep in mind that the whole bush doesn't subsume at once, so you'll almost always have normal growth to compare to abnormal growth (unless you're late to the party and the plant is well into the process.)

My first guess is that it is not RRD--but the pictures are more about area of leaves and not structure so I'm not completely certain.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland

Keep in mind that not all Multiflora is infected with RRD, the pics you posted look like healthy roses to me but I’m no expert.

• Main St Garden PA z6

@subk3, thanks for that excellent clarification. Really great explanation. And the whole plant is “weird” so I see what you’re saying about that.

@mad_gallica that would be odd, but possible. It was outside a few weeks ago when temps almost hit 32, not quite. Some baby peppers I had were damaged. Nothing else. But many of the leaves here have grown since then. Can frost damage affect future growth coming out of a damaged stem?

@Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland Didn’t realize/think about that. Thanks for that positive input. Looking further into it, the disease actually kills the multiflora bush, too. I thought they were just carriers and immune to the virus, but, they are not immune to it. It destroys them the same as our ornamentals. I also looked it up further to know if the bushes are being destroyed or if anything is done about them. It is on Pennsylvania’s noxious weed list; property owners are supposed to destroy them on a yearly basis, and can be given a “Noxious Weed Control Order” by the PA Department of Agriculture. However, the department doesn’t have an assistance program to control the rose. D:

Northern Virginia Full Service General Contractor