Need suggestions to eradicate blue star creeper patches from my lawn

Jason Northwest

Hello, I am new to this forum and hoping someone may be able to offer some help.

I have a lawn in my backyard that I recently had it professionally thatched to help revive it and remove moss, etc.

I have had an issue with blue star creeper in the lawn, for a few years. The thatching was done about 90 days ago and some of the BSC is coming back (not surprisingly). So far it is isolated and patchy, like groups of weeds in different areas.

I have done some research and it seems fairly tough to eradicate the BSC.

Does anyone know of any way to get rid of it, or at least keep it under control? I am not against using an herbicide. In fact, I sprayed the BSC earlier this week, but I don't know if it will help, because we have had a ton of rain, since I sprayed.

- Does anyone know of a chemical/herbicide that will kill BSC, but spare the grass?

- Another idea I had was to cut of the areas of lawn that have BSC growing and re-seed. However, I am unsure how deep the roots on BSC go. I am not against removing the soil and replanting.

I am willing to put the work into this.... are there any best practices to remove BSC patches from the lawn??

thanks for your help :)

Here are a few photos.

• tozmo1

Eleven years ago, looks like someone asked this question on Houzz. Doesn't look promising...https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2056825/what-s-the-best-way-to-kill-off-blue-star-creeper

I wonder if an herbicide like Quincept would kill it. It's a broadleaf killer while preserving the grass (make sure it preserves your kind of grass). Not cheap, but it works. Maybe it would work on BSC. The manufacturer could probably advise.

• Jason Northwest

Thank you for the suggestion of Quincept! I may try this. Right now I am using Spectracide, I believe it kills around 400 broadleaf plants. It takes a while about 2 weeks, but I am strarting the notice the BSC is dying.

If Spectracide doesn't control it (it is now in small patches), maybe Quincept would do a better job.

Do you happen to know why Quincept it is expensive?......Maybe it is more powerful than the others?

anyway, thanks for the advice.

Jason.

• tozmo1

I've found that products primarily for the commercial market are generally more expensive but are also far more effective. I go to Siteone landscape supply in my area at the recommendation of a professional landscaper. Siteone always has good advice. For example, I purchase Snapshot pre-emergent to control weeds on my natural area. For years I worked with products sold in big box and retail garden supply stores and they were very frustrating products. With the Snapshot, it's once in February and I don't have weeds all summer. Same with the Roundup I buy at Siteone, it's far more powerful than anything sold to the consumer.

If there is a Siteone in your area, you should check it out.

• Jason Northwest

Thank very much, Tozmo1.

There are several SiteOne stores in my area. I will try them out. I would happily pay more for a product that works better than standard grade.

I will check into Snapshot to see if I can use it on a lawn.

Jason

Prince William County's Highly Skilled General Contractor