Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_553776228

Looking for a stain color to complement coretec calypso oak floorings

Kelsey Mills
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are making floating shelves in our kitchen out of hard maple. Flooring throughout the home is coretec calypso oak and I’m struggling finding a stain to completement the wood tones in the flooring without being too white or gray.

Comments (29)

• tozmo1
    3 years ago

Can you post a picture of the floors and the kitchen?

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

"We are making floating shelves in our kitchen out of hard maple." Hmmmm. Tough one. Maple doesn't like to take a stain. Like REALLY doesn't like to take a stain.

Who is doing the staining? Are you aware that Maple is a B!tch to stain? Are you aware that Maple gets a STRONGER YELLOW colour in sunlight? We call it photosensitivity. So the stain you put down today is going to be a different colour you have in 6 months. Just so you know!

I personally would us a UV sealant on the Maple (Loba UV Protect is one of them) and then use a clear coat finish (water based polyurethane...NOT OIL).

The Calypso Oak is a white washed looking floor which means it has butter tones with cream colours through it. Maple in a natural finish (WITH the UV BLOCKER!!!!) will compliment it nicely.

If you MUST stain the Maple, go dark. Maple looks splotchy when stained (it can be a real bugger to stain...did I mention that?) so a darker stain can hide the uneveness that come with many stained Maple projects.

Photos of the kitchen would REALLY help.

• jenwinston73
    3 years ago

What color did you go with? Dark or light? We have calypso oak floor and are trying to decide what color to stain our ceiling beam. We are wrapping it in Douglas Fir. We wanted to stain it dark...but wonder if that would compliment it or just be too visually distracting.

• D C
    3 years ago

@jenwinston73 - Your floors look beautiful! We are strongly considering Calypso Oak too. Do you happen to have any more pictures you'd be willing to share?

• D C
    3 years ago

@jenwinston73 - Thank you! That was helpful and your floors look amazing :) My only concern with Calypso, in my own home, is the lengths of the boards. My kitchen/living room is completely open concept and it's a very long room. Because of that I'd prefer longer boards. I'm worried shorter board lengths might make it look a bit choppy in a very long room. Or maybe I'm totally overthinking it. Who knows. I wish flooring was a lot easier than it is.

Anyhow, thanks again for the pics! Your floors are truly beautiful.

• jenwinston73
    3 years ago

Ya that was my one complaint. But I was having a really hard time finding a color I liked and that was most important to me. I picked it out a year ago (believe it or not) but I feel like now there are more options. No regrets though...love it so far! I think once the furniture is in it won’t be as noticeable.

• Christie Young
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Calypso oak flooring. I’m also trying to figure out a stain to go with it

• Nat Ben
    3 years ago

beautiful floors. its looking a little more yellow in the picture posted then I thought. is that true in person?

• Desiree B
    3 years ago

How is everyone liking their Calypso Oak now that you’ve been living on it?? Any signs of scratches? Dents? Any other issues you see??

• nlubejko
    3 years ago

Also did anyone pick a stain to match calypso oak?

• dlrip
    3 years ago

I second that!!! Still looking for a MinWax or Dura Seal stain for main level to compliment LVT Calypso Oak on lower level. Anyone find any complimentary stains?

• jenwinston73
    3 years ago

I wanted to go a bit darker. So we are doing Special Walnut stain over a cedar beam. No photos yet as we are still working on the beam (beam wrap)

• HU-627241792
    2 years ago

@jenwinston73 I'd love to see a picture of how the beam turned out! We are thinking of putting in faux beams and would love something that complimented the calypso oak.

• jenwinston73
    2 years ago

We are having some issues with my contractor, so it’s not hanging up yet. But here’s a photo of the stained beam laying on top of the floor.

• jenwinston73
    2 years ago

This is a cedar beam wrap with provincial gel stain.

• HU-627241792
    2 years ago

Oh, that will look beautiful, espeically because everything else is light. thanks for sharing!

• sjbronner
    2 years ago

I am thinking about calypso oak floors, does it hide pet paw prints/footprints well? Thanks

• Christie Young
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I’ve had the calypso oak floors for about 10 months now and they have held up great. you can see footprints when the sun is shining on the floor. But that usually means its time for a mop session anyways :) I only mop about once a month with a few spot cleans in between.

• sjbronner
    2 years ago

Thank you so much! Looks beautiful. Where is your rug from? Looks perfect with the floors.

• Christie Young
    2 years ago

Thanks! the rug is from amazon

nuLOOM Vasiliki Moroccan Shaggy With Tassels Area Rug, 9' 2" x 12', Off White https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B077JHRWQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_NTMMJBB088G52WZXTNB4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Ashley Welch
    2 years ago

christy, what paint color are your walls?

• Christie Young
    2 years ago

Simply white in behr from Home Depot :)

• brittany_paytas76
    2 years ago

Has anyone found a stain to match calypso?!

• srusson
    2 years ago

Looking for the same thing.. stains to match Calypso Oak. We just put in the floors. They look amazing. Need to figure out a stain for the island, hood above stove and beam on the ceiling

• Christie Young
    2 years ago

A mix of color that I’ve tried is mixing water based stains together including early american and white pickling oak and then either mix in a top coat or do that after. I dont have exact ratios but I liked the outcome on some shelves I made.

• Amy Endler
    2 years ago

Christie what wood did you use for your shelves?

• Christie Young
    2 years ago

I think its a pine board that we cut into 3 shelves. we got it from home depot. it was pre sanded too.

• Amy Endler
    2 years ago

Thanks! Looks great!!