bestany

FYI: LowE 366 has strong green tinge / tint / cast

bestany

I'm posting this because when I was looking up this topic pre-window replacement I didn't find very many unambiguous opinions. Perception of glass tint is somewhat subjective and also relative to the angle of the light, brightness, etc. so it's understandable that opinions vary. Some people care and others do not whether there is a strong cast. Maybe there's variation in manufacturing years. But as far as my new windows with Cardinal LowE 366 glass manufactured in 2020, this is my experience.

IMO, Low E 3 glass is very green. Looks green from outside, casts a green pall on the rooms inside, looks green when you simply look at the windows in anything other than bright sunlight. Even my husband, who hardly can ever see variations in color and usually doesn't care, is unhappy with how it makes everything inside seem green. He said, "sickly." When I snap a cell phone picture of the kids inside I have to color correct the green cast. I even look green in Zoom calls, LOL. It's been three months since install and I still dislike it.

We have an addition on the house where we replaced the window sashes in 2016 with what is supposed to be the same type of glass but a different window manufacturer (yes, I did all the calls to see if the glass is the same exact type from Cardinal and I was told that it is). We've compared the sashes side by side and the cast is a lot stronger on the newly installed windows. Company rep for new windows insists it looks the way it's supposed to. Maybe we got lucky in 2016. I wanted the great UV filtration rating of the 366 but I now feel it wasn't worth it.

If you are currently making glass decisions for a window project hopefully this will help. Be smarter than I was and order glass samples from your window company or see if they have some and look at them at home before finalizing your project. Reading specs online for days didn't prepare me for what I got in real life (online researchers, you know who you are!).

Picture is taken of a window in a corner because it's the easiest spot to demonstrate, but the effect is the same throughout. (Please excuse the dire need to power wash the siding! I just wanted to write this post now while I'm thinking about it, to-do list be damned.)

• virginiawolff

I hate that greenish cast too but the two contractors I'm talking to are like, that's all you can get in Texas is the 366 by Cardinal. I'm asking others too how can I get better VT (even if greenish) and they're telling me, that's not possible or worse, not what I want because I want the 366. So I'm caught in this deadend discussion about the glass and cannot even progress to picking the window. I would love if some contractors or other knowledgeable people would chime in on this topic.

• oberon476

VT is based on both the glass and the sash/frame. VT is a ratio of light coming through the rough opening (basically the hole in your wall) versus the light that comes through the finished window. A VT of 66, as in 366, means that the glass passes 66% of the light available, but the overall window could be VT of 45% because the sash and frame components block 100% of visible light and obviously that is a big part of the overall number.

LowE coatings are very sophisticated. It isn't possible to say that you want 366 but without the green hue and with better VT, unfortunately that isn't how it works.

Actually 366 is generally considered to be a little less green than other triple layer coatings.

• Sammy

Be smarter than I was and order glass samples from your window company or see if they have some and look at them at home before finalizing your project.

Good tip!

Windows on Washington Ltd

Low-e 366 is way less "Greenish" and dark than the Guardian equivalent in my examination of the comparative solar control offerings.

• Kathy

Same here. I just had Milgard fiberglass windows installed and the house is darker and greener inside. The bedroom with a porch over the window now needs a light on during the day, just to find my way in.

I hate it. It makes my view outdoors look gloomy, even on a sunny day. I only need it on one window but have to get it on all. I hate it.

Windows on Washington Ltd

Where is the home located? There are different ranges of Low-e and you can get them with more or less tint in them. You just need to have a window contractor that knows what they are talking about.