westes

Echium Fastuosum "Pride of Madeira" Yellowing Leaves

I have an Echium Fastuosum that has been doing pretty well in a container, getting water about once or twice a week. Just this week a whole group of leaves at the bottom of the plant has turned yellow. Would that be a sign of too little water? Generally, this plant is supposed to like poor soils and does not want overwatering.

The plant is also leggy on the bottom. Is that normal for this plant, or should a healthy specimen have leaves all the way to the base?

• westes Zone 9a California SF Bay

Could this yellowing be caused by over fertilizing? I have been giving my container succulents some Dyna-Gro 9-3-6 every week or two. This yellowing started shortly after I started that fertilizing routine.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b

You don't need to fertilize Echiums at all...they do best in poor soil - look at all of them growing by the side of the freeway. Your yellow leaves look like normal leaf-shed - they are older leaves on the trunk that are shaded out.

• westes Zone 9a California SF Bay

@Sara_Malone so what disappoints me about my plant is that it is so leggy. After 18 months I also expect a lot more development. There are two-year-old specimens on Youtube - in my geographic area - that are filled out and already a bush 4 ft by 4 ft after just two years. The leaves that are there on top look healthy. Not sure what the problem is.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b

I'm not sure either. I gave up on Echiums a long time ago due to their ranginess and rampant re-seeding. Just not what I wanted in my garden. Your soil may be too rich, you may be giving them too much water. Here is a good write up:

https://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=543

westes Zone 9a California SF Bay thanked Sara Malone Zone 9b