lilyfinch

Summer 2020 : beauty all around us

Wahooo summer is officially here!! I can’t wait to see everyone’s photos and life updates . Even if you are in between things we want to hear how you are doing !! I hope everyone has a safe and beautiful summer.

• Lisa Adams

Hello to all my Rosie Friends! Life has been full of craziness around here lately. I’ve been so overwhelmed and exhausted that I haven’t been keeping up with the forum at all. For the past few mornings, I’ve gotten up early to try to take pictures that weren’t hideous and post an update here. Every single time I try, something prevents me from posting anything at all. I either doze off in my patio chair, or some urgent matter comes up that I need to deal with. This morning I just skimmed this thread, and looked at all the glorious pictures. What a treat! Yes, I still dozed off in my chair this morning, but I’m determined to post SOMETHING today, even if I have to break it up into several posts over several days.

First of all ; I’m finally officially an Oma (Grandmother) !!! May I introduce my granddaughter to you?

Cooper Rose

6/29/20 2:59PM

7Lbs 15 oz

19 inches

I’m absolutely thrilled that both my daughter and granddaughter are doing just fine. It was a high risk pregnancy with the potential for things to go very wrong during the pregnancy and during labor and delivery, so I’m feeling very blessed with both of them coming through safe and healthy. I’ve longed for this little one for what feels like forever. I haven’t been able to truly see her yet, but I cherish our FaceTime visits.

Several days before Cooper Rose arrived, I had my long awaited hip replacement surgery. Obviously the timing wasn’t the greatest, but my daughter urged me to take the opening while it was avaliable. She knew how much I needed it, and was afraid that the hospitals might soon be cutting back again. It’s beginning to look like she was correct, as the numbers are increasing rapidly in our area. I’m glad I was able to get my surgery done and am now on the road to recovery. I‘ll admit, there have been several days that I was thinking, “Why did I agree to this?” and, “Is it even be worth all this?” I spent 2 nights in the hospital, and then went home. I had a friend help me for 2 days, and then the real challenge began. I had read and been told many times that it was very important to do the exercises and be active. Laying in bed was not going to work. I was eager to heal quickly, so I would be strong enough to see that baby as soon as soon as it was deemed safe by the pediatrician. Unfortunately, I was overeager and I may have overdone it a bit. A few days after discharge, my surgeon instructed me to go to the ER , ASAP. BOTH my feet and legs had swollen to enormous sizes, and the swelling was so uncomfortable that it felt like my skin would split open. The ER was so busy that I was there for over 10 hours. My new granddaughter was born while I was waiting to be seen in the ER. After they determined that the swelling wasn’t caused by blood clots, I was allowed to go home.

When the physical therapist came over, he was both impressed and horrified. I did his little exercises without a problem, but he felt I had pretty much been spending way too much time being up and around and far too little time resting with my legs elevated. I had to switch my resting vs. active time around. The swelling is really going down, but comes back when I’m up for more than 30 minutes to an hour. It’s frustrating to want to be up but having to lay down so much. I’ve been doing as instructed, and it shows both on my body and in my house and garden. I’ve never seen so many spent blooms in the garden at once! I’m very tempted to do more, but I know I need to take it easy.

I took a few early morning pictures, hoping the coastal fog would blur the mess.

‘The Faun‘ is blooming while ‘Mel’s Heritage’ is busy loading up with buds. He’s going to put on another breathtaking display soon.

I finally have Dara growing in my garden! All of them seem to be the chocolate color.

I may have reached my photo limit. I’ll add the photo of the Dara separately if needed.

I thought you might get a kick out of the above accidental picture. It’s awfully difficult to carry anything while using the walker. I can’t wait to be rid of the thing. I don’t think it will be too much longer. I’m already able to do without it in my bedroom and bathroom. I’m hoping it’s a good sign that I could tolerate weight on the “bad”’side at 8 days post surgery.

Thank you for thinking of me. Have a great afternoon everyone! I miss you all, and will try to post again soon. There’s not a lot that’s picture worthy these days.

Hang in there Jim! Lisa

Best Answer
  • L Clark (zone 4 WY)

All My Loving, not sure how it’s still surviving

Remodel kitchen around existing wood cabinets? Advice and validation

I'm in a bit of a rush - but much thanks to aprilneverends:) I think you plan on painting the cabinets, but this in my wood kitchens idea book: https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens My kitchen is here: https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042 More pics in my "my pics" idea book. I went with the vintage vibe, which might not be your thing. However, the wood kitchens idea book has both newer and older, refreshed kitchens and might inspire if you are not painting, or just want to paint some of the kitchen. Try to overcome the "dated" thing unless you are rich:) It is a marketing ploy to make you dislike your stuff so you will go out and buy new stuff. Will the changes you make now be "dated" in 10 more years? I am afraid it is beyond my means to change a kitchen out every 10 years. However, when surfaces are worn, looking at new and possibly improved styles is fun! Trying to blend the older with the newer can be a challenge. I found the short apron Whitehaven sink and the subway tile backsplash to work well with the older and newer elements.

Poll: To paint or not to paint? (Brick around fireplace)

You should really take advantage of the fact that the fireplace is asymmetrical. Our advice is to leave the brick as it is right now (pant it later if needed). Add a nice mantel and create a sitting space in the right side - there's enough space to create a cozy reading nook, for example. Plus, the brick will create a beautiful contrast with the rest of the colors you picked for the space. However, you can paint the brick at the end, if you are not satisfied how it looks. If you want to get more ideas, check out some of our projects at www.gialluisihomes.com.

Help Working around Existing Granite (Baltic Brown)- Photos Included!

I’m not a professional; however we recently bought a 3-year-old home with a nice like-new kitchen where the granite reads cool but all other finishes are warm (which is my preference). The granite really disturbed me before we moved in and I put a lot of thought into what I could do about it. But by the time my kitchen was fully accessorized, light bulbs changed out to the color and brightness I prefer, artwork on walls and rugs on floors, the granite somehow works and is hardly noticeable. I too think your kitchen is beautiful but agree that a small investment in paint color would better harmonize the two rooms. Best wishes!!!

2020 Fireplace Dilemma? Advice needed - what do I do with this?

The fact the chandeleir is not centered would make me crazy. Are you planning on changing this every year because what is in this year won’t be next year. Do what you like who cares wht is in. IMO what is there is kind of cool I think painted white will just be boring as heck I do agree the chandeleir takes the look away maybe have an amazing piece od stainless art made and that is what I would do with a pot light lto light it up but custom for you and the artist to decide.
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I love your All My Loving. Is it not thriving? It sure looks happy

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)

It’s very healthy and happy! I love it. I think it’s rated zone7? I struggle to get a lot of zone 4 plants to live here, so it’s a bit surreal to have such a lovely warm zone rose lol

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

It's very tender. Mine barely survived its first winter so I moved it to what I thought was a better site. It succumbed this spring after successive hard freezes following 70 days. It did have lovely flowers, but was the only Rainbow of Roses 5/$20 to die so that's not too bad. LClark, if you have good snow cover and less freeze thaw, that should help with its survival. Good for you! :-)

• rosecanadian

Kristine - yeah, I thought I was doing good exercising. LOL But, I also thought...this is dumb, I'm going to hurt myself. Lesson learned. My back is still sore...but I'm doing exercises, and they're starting to help. Thankfully your vertigo wasn't too bad. It can be torturous. I hope things go easily for your grand-daughter. You're going to be a great grand-mother!!! Is this baby your first great-grandchild?

L Clark - what a beautiful rose!!! The color is scrumptious!!

We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary today! We ordered Chinese food, played mahjong, and had a wonderful day together. Although it did rain all day. I told my husband that instead of growing roses, I should be growing rice. :)

• Diane Brakefield

Lisa, it's so good to see your post and read that you are an Oma--and you will be a terrific one. Cooper is one lucky little granddaughter. And she is just perfect. I am glad your daughter sailed through it all (as much as you can sail through a birth-ha), and is doing well. When I read that you were waiting in the ER with your swollen legs while your daughter was giving birth, all I could think of was the awful stress level you were experiencing. I'm so glad you had no clots. You made such a wise choice to go ahead with the surgery, though. It will be worth it. My close gardening friend wouldn't be gardening now without that hip replacement. And your garden looks great. I got a kick out of seeing the Dara--it's exactly like mine which is a chocolate color. My Dara was getting a bit invasive, and I tore out more than half of it. And I just love my orlaya, which is blooming beautifully, all thanks to you. I hope you soon get a visit with your new granddaughter. Now rest up. Diane

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Diane Brakefield

Deborah, I'm happy to see your post, too. I assume school is over for the summer, and it's garden play time. Will your college be holding regular classes this fall? Boise is having an upsurge in covid 19 cases. My granddaughter, Jemma is due to start college this August, and her roommate is from Nigeria. We don't know if this girl is in the US yet, and time is running out for her to enter the US.......I like the sound of Marmalade Skies.

L Clark, All My Loving is a cutie and looks so healthy. Best of luck getting her through another winter. I'm amazed at her toughness. Diane

• rosecanadian

Hopefully today is Minshen's day to give birth. She said she was thinking Wed...well...come on baby...come out and play. :)

Weather is 13C/55F, blustery, rainy, horrible day. Of course. Sigh.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

We have a beautiful baby boy

He is great grandchild number 13

They are all so special and I am blessed to be young enough to enjoy them. With the virus though I probably won't get to see him any time soon . But that's ok as long as he stays safe

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Heartfelt congratulations, Kristine!! You are a wonder. 13 greats and a baby of your own. Your family gatherings must be a true delight with all those little people. They make everything more fun.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

We rent the Girl Scout Hall for our huge Christmas party . We still try to do Thanksgiving at my house but it is pretty crazy and getting crazier

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Prayers for Minshen -- Hope she's doing well. Kristine -- WOWZA. You are the matriarch of a grand clan!

Diane - hope your daughter gets to go to school! We are still planning to be in person, assuming the state allows it, but we will probably not have students come back after Thanksgiving, and finish the semester virtually. I don't feel like I get a lot of play time now b/c I'm on a gazillion task forces and doing other work to get ready for fall -- and I'm supposed to be WRITING. But when I do get free time I go in the garden, which is lovely, but not WRITING! So, if you have any spare prayers or good vibrations please send them my way, marked 'WRITE!'.

I mentioned on the Annie's Annuals thread that I found a super new salvia. I can't capture the perfect coolness of the blue -- but I love it. So, without further adieu, here are some photos of the garden:

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Salvia So Cool Pale Blue

Cupid's Dart (Catanache) with Poet's Wife behind

My Cinderella Pumpkin plant taking over!

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)
  • Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Yves Piaget Rose in foreground, with Love Song. Peeking in on right is Munstead Wood. Far Behind is Poet's Wife.

• Diane Brakefield

Deborah, I do wish you had more garden playtime. My granddaughter's (my daughter is 52 and graduated decades ago, thank heaven) college, so far is doing what your college is doing: having a shortened semester that ends before the Thanksgiving break (if all goes well). I love your salvia, but if someone were to ask me what it is, I wouldn't be able to answer. Very different. And your gorgeous pumpkin vine has variegated leaves. I can't grow punks anymore because the bad deer try to eat them, and leave toothmarks all over the pumpkins. Munstead Wood and Love Song make a lovely combo for you. Here's an idea to write about--your first experience with earwigs (See thread on 'what is this bug' that Minshen posted). It would get the students' attention.

From April through June, I took over 900 garden photos--now what do I do with them? Diane

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Mine Diane, mine just sit around and clogged up my phone!

• rosecanadian

Well, Minshen hasn't posted here today...she's probably been busy delivering her baby!! Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way, Minshen!

Kristine - Congratulations on a baby boy grandchild!!! What's his name? I wish you could hold him...but you're right...he needs to be safe and so do you. You rent out a hall? That's great!! I'm from a large extended family too. I have over 30 cousins on each side of my family.

Deborah - through the ether comes a thought to you....WRITE!! :) I love your Cupid's Dart and Salvia...I would love to get a blue saliva like that!!! I wonder what zone it's for. Oh my heavens!!! I love, love your grouping of roses!!! Divine!!!

Diane - the deer like to bite your pumpkins. Silly deer.

Well, I'm so discouraged with the rain and terrible winds. Another cane was broken off today...and my roses don't have a lot of canes. I'm soooo sick of this horrible weather...all season it seems like. I'm actually thinking of trying to have a different hobby. My husband says a supplemental hobby...not a different one. He's right....I don't want to give up on roses...but I'd like something with plants that I can do all year long that gives me joy. I do have a large gro light system. I wish I could find something cool to do with it. Any ideas? My rose hybridizing didn't work this spring. I am going to try one more time with John Davis which is just starting to wake up. I don't want to do anything with orchids...but I'm so intensely frustrated with roses and our incessant rain...that I'd like to do something inside that brings me joy with plants. Idea? Thanks everyone.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Weather can be the pits. I'm with you on the rain and wind. May I ask why you don't want to do orchids?

• rosecanadian

They strike me as really fussy. I've never grown them. Do you grow orchids?

• Diane Brakefield

Carol, I have suggestions for you, My first is to grow a few bromeliads. Around here, they are available in garden centers and are easy to grow indoors. A friend gave me one several years ago, and, though I'm a hater of indoor plants, I kept this bromeliad for a while and it produced pups, little side plants that grow off the base of the mother plant. The pups are removable after several weeks of growth, and you have a second plant to grow in its own pot. I gave one pup to a neighbor, and one back to the friend who had given me the original plant. The mother plant then is supposed to die. My friend's pup became a mom several times over, but she refused to die, so after about 10 years, my friend has a bunch of pups and the mother plant, now ready for bromeliad heaven, but loves motherhood too much to die. So, if you want to grow an interesting plant and have lots of gift plants to give, too, try a bromeliad. They bloom in different colors as a bonus. Small cactus are fun to grow, too. I did this years ago, and granddaughter Jemma has grown them for several years on her bedroom window sills. They are pretty adorable, have pups, and will bloom, too. Just don't let your dogs get into the cactus. Diane

• rosecanadian

Diane - bromeliads...interesting! I didn't know that they could be grown under gro-lights! I like the different color aspect. Roses are so versatile this way that I would like something that has a bit of variety. I'm going to google where I can buy them, etc. I also looked at greenhouses. There's one that's supposed to withstand hail, winds, etc. I sent them a question as to how much one would be to ship here from CO. I think they're probably way to expensive...but you never know. And where would I put it??? LOL

• titian1 10b Sydney

Carol, what about azaleas and rhododendrons? I've seen them in the Himalayas, so I'm sure they would withstand your cold weather. I also saw a tree orchid there.

• Lisa Adams

Carol, another thought is African Violets and/or their relatives those Cape Primroses’. They will do well indoors on windowsills and places that get good light. There’s lots of neat ones besides the old familiar dark violet colored ones. They can bloom over and over throughout most of the year. You’d have something inside and roses for outside during the summer. Just another idea. Lisa

• Minshen (8b/9a Victoria BC)

Meet little Rosie ;)

A perfect little seven pounder, born 5:35am July 9. Thank you all for your good wishes! It was a smooth delivery.

• Lisa Adams

Now and update: I was supposed to go see my new little granddaughter today, but my post-op appointment with my surgeon nixed that plan. I’ll be seeing another Dr. today instead. My hip is coming along nicely and my incision is healing well. I can move around more each day. The trouble started at the front door to the medical center. When they screened me at the door, I was found to have a low grade fever, in spite of taking fever reducing meds. I was finally allowed inside, once they decided I didn’t have any Covid symptoms and it was probably related to my surgery. The orthopedic surgeon didn’t like the way both my feet/legs were swollen. He said if it was just the on the side he operated on, he wouldn’t give it a second thought. He was not happy with the size of the “good” side. I thought it wasn’t even very big, since it gets much bigger as the day goes by. The appointment was fairly early in the morning. Since my hip looks great, he’s sending me to be checked for other infections and to determine if something can be done about that swelling. He did put in a request to my insurance for coverage of some compression hose. I’m just bummed about not getting to see Cooper Rose, who is already getting bigger and changing a little. My arms really just ache to hold her, but just seeing her from 6F would be great for now. I dreaded even calling and telling my daughter about my temperature after my appointment. She called about 10 minutes after I got home from my appointment, so I had to give her the bad news right away. We’re both so disappointed, but the safety of the baby comes first, just like Kristine said. Congratulations on your Great Grandson, Kristine! Wow, you have lots of little ones around! I’m glad your grandchildren are so thoughtfully providing Azalea with playmates.

One the garden front, I just see so much that needs deadheading and cutting back. It’s SO frustrating to have my hip feel good enough to be up and around to do things, while the fluid in my legs holds me back. Sorry, I was about to find something I could take and post a picture of, but the Dr.’s office just called. I need to be there in an hour! I’m moving pretty slowly, so I need to get ready ASAP. Lisa

• rosecanadian

Lisa - holy crap! This is scary! We all really need you to get better...and, of course, your family needs you a thousand times more. Let us know how the doctor's appointment went. And, of course, you want to hold your darling Cooper Rose. What a disappointment. Sigh. Worry.

Minshen - what great news that your delivery went so well and that your little Rosie is doing so well!! She looks so alert and lovely!! Now you need to rest and take care of yourself. :) :)

Lisa - I'll check out African Violets (yes, I was thinking purple, seen so many). I've never heard of Cape Primroses....being a Primrose I assume they don't rebloom. But I'll check them out. Thanks so much!!! :) :)

Titian - I was thinking about something I could grow in the house while I moan about my roses. LOL I can't give up roses. And the sun is shining today!!! We have sunshine!!!! And it's 16C/61F!!! Wahoo!!! I'll check out azaleas...I would think they could grow in the house.

Lisa - be safe!

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ

Congrats @Minshen (8b/9a Victoria BC) she is a beauty!!! And love the name! 😍

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Minshen, she is precious. Congratulations!

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Lisa, you are on my mind and in my prayers every day.

• Lisa Adams

Minshen, CONGRAULATIONS!!! She’s so precious. I’m glad all went well for both of of you. Is her name really Rose? My daughter used Rose as a middle name as a little nod to me. Enjoy her early days, they go by so quickly.
    Thanks, everyone. I’m sitting in my car waiting for them to call my phone and say they are ready for me. It’s such a changed world with checking in at the Dr.’s office by phone, and then only going inside when they are 100% ready to see you. I do appreciate the extra safety steps.
    Lisa

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

Lisa, Get better, we need you well.

Mishen, Congratulations. She is adorable!

• Minshen (8b/9a Victoria BC)

Thank you everyone! Lisa — her name is just Rosie. Our first is Ruby, and we wanted another R name. Since she’s born when the roses are the most lovely, we figured why not ;P And all the best your way as well!

• Lisa Adams

Carol, those Cape Primroses aren’t really Primroses at all. It’s just a nickname. They rebloom indoors all the time. I just can’t remember what they are officially called. It starts with something like “Strep”. That much I know.

Lovely name Minshen! Having a Ruby and a Rosie Is perfect! She’s adorable.

I’m posting so much because of all this waiting. They did another Covid swab because of the fever. I doubt that’s the cause of my temp. The Dr. sent over a prescription for something to decrease the fluid buildup. He said “Lymphedema“. I’m waiting on the dipstick results now. I’m actually hoping for a UTI. Easy fix.

Here’s a pretty Chartreuse de Parme. It’s not a very pretty plant, but does have some pretty blooms.

Joan Fontaine is a rose that’s not as popular as it deserves to be. It’s a great rose, only available from Heirloom.

She wasn‘t deadheaded, but is still blooming away.

Lisa

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Everythings coming up roses, or at least Rose babies. Congratulations, Minshen! What a gorgeous baby! Lisa, please keep us updated. I'm glad they are trying to get to the bottom of your swelling. Carol, I was also going to suggest AV and CP, otherwise known as Strptocarpus and other gesneriads. I've grown many and find them easy to grow with the correct light. There is huge variety in this plants and I'm sure there is a local society for them. I've enjoyed visiting many local shows in different states over the years and was inspired. They are lovely houseplants.

I wouldn't write off orchids. The main thing is to find those that you can grow in your conditions for light. Dendrobium, Phalaenopsis and Cymbidium are all easy growers and in the case of Phalaenopsis can bloom most of the year. Orchids' reputation is similar to roses in that their difficulty is overstated and refers to only some varieties similar to how many HT are more needy. They give a lot for a little if you find ones that are easier to grow. Again, I'm sure there is a local or regional society that could help you as well as have wonderful show to attend. Many rose growers here are expert orchid growers and hopefully will pipe in.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Minshen ya ya ya congratulations!! It is the season for babies apparently. Rosie is absolutely adorable. Im glad that all went well. I bet Ruby is dying to meet her sister

Lisa, sorry that you had to postpone your visit with Cooper and your daughter, very dissapointing. But you need to take care of that swelling and temp

Holy moly,, Joan Fontaine is gorgeous . Another one to add to the list

• rosecanadian

Minshen - not only are they both R names...but they both mean reddish/pink. :)

Lisa - thank you soooooooo much!!!! I just bought 11 Streptocarpus/Cape Primrose plants!!! I absolutely love them!!!! I got them from here: https://www.violetbarn.com/store/our-own-hybrids-c18.html I am so happy you mentioned them to me!!! Wahoo!!! Okay, back to serious matters...keep us posted and thanks for the update! Love your JF blooms!

Also....my John Davis bush is starting to bloom. So I took anthers from 6 buds/opening buds at various stages...and they're starting to release their pollen! So I'm going to try to hybridize my roses in the back. I have about 3 buds that could be used. Nothing much else is happening. I have a Berolina, a Stainless Steel...and maybe a Dolly Parton. I hope it works!

Vaporvac - good suggestion!! I hate African Violets...but I love the Cape Primroses!! That's enough for inside plants for me (11)...I tend to OCD and get tons of things...I once had 13 leopard geckos. Now I have lots of roses in pots...so I don't want to do that with indoor plants too. LOL

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Carol, I bought my first orchid at Trader Joe's and it bloomed for 4 months. I was hooked because I am the absolute worst houseplant mom ever. Start with a Phalaenopsis (Butterfly orchid) with more buds than blooms, and you will be amazed at how long they bloom. I've never ordered from an online company, but there are some breathtaking and unusual orchids. Same with African violets. There are some that will have you ooohing and aaahing. Then, get some orchid or African violet plant food and you'll have blooms non-stop. Plus, these are small enough that you don't have to rearrange furniture to grow them and if you want to use your gro light system they will thrive even better.

• roserobin_gw

Minshen, Rosie is the perfect name! Congratulations

• rosecanadian

Flowers - good ideas...especially the orchids...but I've already ordered 11 plants...and my husband is keeping a close eye on me that I don't become obsessive compulsive (who me?). LOL I promised that I wouldn't buy anymore. LOL

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Oooh! that's exciting, Carol. What did you order? This sounds like so much fun and will take some of the stress away from growing roses with all the obstacles you face with climate and soil and the short season.

• titian1 10b Sydney

Congratulations Minshen on your beautiful little Rosie.

Carol, great that you've found another obsession!

Lisa, I hope you get good news.

• rosecanadian

Flowers - so true....it's exasperating for most of the year. LOL I wouldn't mind so much if July was a good month.

Titian - yup, another obsession. Tee hee!!!

Sorry, I tried to paste pictures, but it didn't work. Here's the link though. https://www.violetbarn.com/store/our-own-hybrids-c18.html?page=1

I got: (All of these names have "Bristol" in front of them.)

Spring Clouds

Smelly Cat

Water Bug

Black Light

Grasshopper

Lipstick

Night Light

Night Fall

Psychedelic Sun

Sex Kitten

Mom's Plant

What do you think? Anyway want to join me in this new obsession. LOL

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    yesterday

Julian Angel. His Dad is Angel Julian. Oh well I bet they call him J. He looks pretty darn cute though.

My Crimson Glory that I have been babying the heck out of because I thought that she wad a goner is in bloom. I wish that my phone could capture the deep crimson color.

My new Daybreaker that arrived snapped off at the base is blooming. Hallelujah for own root

She is tiny but thriving and yes Matt sent me a replacement

I grew this rose at my old house and haf forgotten what a pretty color she is

This is the first time in 2 years that

My hydrangeas have bloomed.. I have 4 pots snd last year not a single bloom . I didn't get around to giving them the heave ho so I fertilized them and they took right off

Im so glad that I didnt get rid of them

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Carol, you are tempting us with those African violets that are nothing like we see locally. The Violet Barn has a good reputation and healthy plants. I have sent people gift cards for that nursery. I absolutely love all your choices. Grasshopper looks like a pansy. I would have to have that one too.

Kristine, that isn't a newborn baby, it is? Maybe it's those cute pants that make him look at least a month old. Yes, he is pretty darn cute, for sure. Your family produces darling babies.

Daybreaker is a rose I always admire at Northland. I grew it years ago and can't remember for the life of me what happened to it. I know it's one they recommend.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    yesterday

Flowers, he was born on wed

Im used to newborns in little sleepers and nighties

He looks like he is ready to head off to school

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    yesterday

Wow kristine!! Wednesday!!?? He looks so “sturdy” already . I looooveee that squishy newborn curled up on your chest feeling so much of I could bottle it up I would . Your plants look beautiful. Love the hydrangea! And the lily . Lovely color .

Carol I am off to see that website though I don’t need another obsession. I sure do like to look !! My obsession here has been a plant called abultion, or flowering maple . I prefer the pinks , and yellow , I’m looking for cream color and a double pink . But there are so many !

And don’t get me going on clematis. I can’t get enough of those !

Here’s that no name from Jackson and Perkins , she is so so lovely!!!

Marie pavie from rvr , smells so so good

Pom pon veranda

Tamora

Bierdirmier what a stunner from palantine. I definitely misspelled it

Eglantyne

Seriously growing so so fast !

• rosecanadian
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Kristine - yes, I, too, thought he was older...maybe it's because he looks so much more alert and inquisitive than a lot of babies at that age. I love your Daybreaker...what a dreamy color!

Flowers - shipping was really expensive...but I don't care. LOL Yes, you're so right!! It does look like a pansy or a viola!!

Lilyfinch - your kids are adorable!!! They look like they're best friends!! And your roses are wonderful...my fave is the first one. What does Marie Pavie smell like....damask? Your Bierdirmier is lovely!!! What a big, substantial bloom!

Chartreuse de Parme

Diane Loomer almost ready to open.

A slice of the perennial garden.

Iris

Poppies, Painted Lady

Stainless Steel

More Irises

More poppies

Iris

Delphinium and Maltese Crosses

Peonies

Can't remember the name for some reason

Nicole Carol Miller

Shortie Night Owl (same pot for 10 years)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    21 hours ago

Carol, the thing with a late season start is that everything pops at once. Your yard is absolutely incredible with so many beautiful plants. Wow! What a treasure that you have created.

Jen, your kids are so cute and growing ao fast. I agree, I love that newborn sleeping on chest squishyness.

The picture of Julian was when she went home from the hospital. He looks like he is ready for an adventure doesnt he.

Who grows Buxom Beauty? I think that Merlena does. Is this a slow poke of a grower or do I have a dud ?

It was planted june 2019. This spring it took right of and then we had an early heat wave and the new growth got fried. It finally made a come back and produced 3 pitiful short lived blooms. Since then no no growth.

This rose is in a 4x4x4 ft box. She has gotten alfalfa tea, compost, chicken manure and lots of kind words. Is this just a really slow rose ?

My first Peach Swirl bud, boy am I excited about this rose.

Plum Perfect is a perfect rose.

• Lisa Adams
    20 hours ago
    last modified: 20 hours ago

Oh what great new pictures have been posted recently. I was a little, (well, maybe a lot) discouraged yesterday. I’m feeling a little better today.

Kristine, I knew Julian was just born, but I also thought he looked very alert and older than just born. I’ve already seen my little granddaughter (Photos) in some outfits that would never have been worn back when I had kids. They have some pretty grownup baby clothes available these days. Looking at little Rosie and Julian just makes me ache to see my little Cooper Rose all the more.

Carol, I’m thrilled that you liked my suggestion of the Cape Primroses! I still have a few on my porch, or at least I did pre-surgery. I hope they have been watered. They do like some humidity, and I put mine outside when I began running the A/C. They didn’t like the cool dryness. I only remember the name of one, ‘Remembering John’. They are really neat indoor plants.

Didn’t Carol grow Buxom Beauty in the past, Kristine?

I need a break, but will be back. Carol, your explosion of bloom is amazing!

Here’s my Pompon Veranda bloom, Lilyfinch.

They last forever on the bush!

Hopefully, I’ll be back. I’ll update on the health junk after this little break. Lisa

• rosecanadian
    7 hours ago

Kristine - Thanks so much!! I still only have a few rose blooms...but lots are almost ready to pop....and Straw told me to add lime to my roses...and the blooms have fragrance again!!! Sceptr'd Isle...oh swoon!!! Diane Loomer (Jalbert rose) smells like peaches!! I've never had a peach smelling rose before. And it's open just a tiny bit...yet the fragrance is dreamy! My Buxom Beauty died in the GGDO and I have a new one from Palatine. It's no worse than any of my other ones so far. But, yes, I found it to be a slower grower and a slow bloomer. Oh...I wish I could get Peach Swirl!! Lucky you!!! I can't wait to see yours open. :)

Lisa - I'm glad that you're feeling a little better emotionally. I can well imagine that it's a slow process to recover from a hip replacement. And on top of that you want to be with your granddaughter. Of course, you've been feeling down. How in the world can you remember that I grew Buxom Beauty??? Your memory is amazing!!!! Maybe mine is just terrible. LOL Yes, I really am so glad you mentioned the Cape Primroses!!! Your suggestion made my whole week! Calgary is pretty dry here...do you think I should mist them? I remember when our family took a trip to Mexico...the humidity there was amazing for my skin and my hair...I kept saying...I'm in a Pantene commercial!!! Thanks, Lisa, I'm starting to get really happy about my yard again. The roses are just barely starting to bloom...but I can see the potential! Your Pompon Veranda has such wonderful color in those deeply cupped blooms!

Today was the perfect weather, 25C/77F...nice and hot!! I know that's not hot for most of you. LOL...but it is for here. :) I had such a good day today!!

Fairfield County's High Quality Home Storage Solutions