splaker

Black gum leaf curl...

splaker

This happened last year too. I seem to be having some issues with a few of my plants and trees now as they "settle in"

do they seem chlorotic too? It's has been very dry this spring but we just got 3 inches of rain over the past 3 weeks and I gave it a good dose of water the other day. Thoughts?

i should add that the tree is sparsely leafed. Just not that full..

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

remind us where you are ... and do you fert that perfectly weed free lawn ... have you ever done a soil test???

ken

splaker thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Best Answer
  • splaker

Ken north of Toronto Canada. Z5. I do fertilize my lawn in spring and again in fall.

never dis a soul test. I know it's above 7 as my hydrangea is pinkish.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

I know it's above 7 as my hydrangea is pinkish

==>>>now we need to find out if that is pertinent to black gum ... eh???

with the lawn fert.. i would NEVER fert the tree otherwise ...

ken

• splaker

ok, so no actual opinions/help on this other than a query on where I live?

• ulisdone

Interesting tidbit: saw a video where a guy says the old timers used black gum trees to find underground water, apparently where they grow naturally there will be a source of water. So if you are living in an upland dry area, may be the wrong tree.

Also looks to be planted too deep.

splaker thanked ulisdone
  • splaker

I don't know if it is planted too deep... I added fresh layer of composted soil so it appears that the root flare is buried but it wasn't buried when I originally planted it.. I added the soil because many people seem to suggest it?

• splaker

And the spot that it's anted in is seasonally wet... as saturated. Spring and sometimes Late fall if we get good rains

after 3 consecutive cool wet springs we habe had very little rain in 2020. Finally got 2.5 inches over the last 10 days. But I'll bet it was guicly absorbed by the grass and top layer of soil.

May and April were very very dry