Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8489027

Wing Chairs at the ends of a large dining table?

User
3 years ago

I recently bought this large Queen Anne style table for next to nothing in an antique shop. As I have 6 very plain French style balloon back side chairs that I am going to reupholster. I still need some arm chairs to sit at the head and foot of the table. My husband and I were at a decorator's shop recently and he really likes the idea of wing chairs in these spots. What do you think? Too many styles happening? Should I stick to a French style armchair?

I plan to chalk paint the 5 Queen Anne chairs that came with this table/reupholster the seats and sell them on Craigslist or repurpose them to a screen porch.

Comments (8)

• One Devoted Dame
    3 years ago

My husband and I were at a decorator's shop recently and he really likes the idea of wing chairs in these spots.

I'm not a pro (so keep this in mind, lol), but I *love* your husband's idea of using wing chairs. <3

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Another yes vote! Love the look. Classic.

I have a personal preference, though — that the wing chairs be larger than the side chairs. I just think it looks more balanced that way.

Can you show us one of your balloon chairs?

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    3 years ago

I think you should keep these chairs.All you need to do is up cycle these and add wing chairs in empty spots.Adding wing chairs on each end always looks great. I totally agree with jinx that the size of wing chairs must be larger than other chairs. It completes the look.I would also suggest you that the fabric you choose for your wing chair should be in contrast or a little different from the other chairs. It looks even more good but what ever color or pattern you choose make sure it blends with the other chairs..

These pictures will further help you to choose.

These pictures show how the size of wing chair and its print should differ from other chairs.

• ratherbesewing
    3 years ago

A couple of things for you to consider: I prefer that all chairs to be tucked under the table apron when not in use. Measure the arm height if that matters to you. Next, some chairs are HEAVY. The intended person needs to be able to pull the chair out, sit down and scoot the chair closer to the table so they can reach their plate.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thanks everyone!

The queen Anne chairs that come with the table are an odd number and we need to seat for 8-10 so keeping them are not an option. I love my balloon back chairs and am not particularly fond of Queen Anne chairs either. I do agree that measuring is super important.

• PRO
    The KEEPING ROOM
    3 years ago

You can use wing chairs, however they need to be specialty ones that sit more upright, are smaller form factors, and made to use at the end of a dining table. The ones that you would use in a living room have too much pitch, are too heavy, and too bulky

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I have the same table and similar chairs. We have two end chairs with arms and then four middle chairs with no arms. Our dining room is small, so I don't like that the end chairs stick out so much. With arms they don't fit under the table. That's a definite factor so find some smaller footprint chairs. As for the chair set, if you could find a good carpenter, the arms could be taken off the one end chair, sanded and stained so it would match the others. That would give you five matching ones without arms. That's what we are going to do with our two end chairs, so save space. The arms are fussy and get in the way anyway.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!