Augusta Louise, Mitsouko, and other lovely ladies...

Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

Thought you might like a peek into some of the blooms in my Canadian garden.

Augusta Louise

Mitsouko

New Dawn

Sally Holmes on the gated arch

(Meet Harry, my awesome waiter. Very attentive service, as you can see. Heehee)

Golden Fairytale

Rosa Mundi

Earth Angel and Elle

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

Earth Angel and some cutting garden flowers.

Oh, here’s an idea: I give away little jam jar flowers to friends and family. I just buy a bunch of inexpensive canning jars. However, a few years ago I had an idea to make little antique Parisian labels. So now I just go on Pinterest, print a whole bunch, laminate them (with packing tape) and glue them on the jam jars. They instantly became that much cuter!

Best Answer
  • Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

Lichtkönigin Lucia

Sally Holmes

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

Eden

Climbing America and Honeymoon Arborose

Climbing America in a sweet arrangement.

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

Oh...I should show you Sally at night. I love this rose. She’s right out of a fairytale.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Your garden is so gorgeous Tammy !! Your waiter quite handsome too !! I love everything you’ve shown . Sally certainly glows at night!

Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario) thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago

What beautiful photos, Tammy! You have a lovely garden!

Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario) thanked Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago
  • Lek Arun

I love the picture of your New Dawn and the handsome waiter. If I have that spot in my backyard, I would eat all the meals there.

Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario) thanked Lek Arun
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

They are all gorgeous! Goodness, I think you need to submit photos # 3&4 to some magazines! They are just fantastic!

Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario) thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

I agree with SJN -- gorgeous. What a lovely bistro set. And all set for tea! Reminds me of the photos I salivated over when I used to read Victoria Magazine...

Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario) thanked Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)
  • katyajini

Hi Tammy! You are Queen! Enchanting or Enchanted Garden. Dont you feel like you are in different world when you enter your garden???

I did get Rose de Molinard and Ascot after you introduced them in your garden. I am looking at Sally Holmes. Is this rose fragrant for you?

Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario) thanked katyajini
  • rosecanadian

Tammy!!! - that last bouquet you did is extraordinary!! I can't imagine creating something THAT beautiful!!!! I especially love your Mitsouko and Rosa Mundi!! I love Harry too!!! I've 3 standard poodles at one time...now I'm done to one. They are such wonderful dogs...and I've always wanted to get a white one. Your Harry looks like a great ambassador to the breed!

Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario) thanked rosecanadian
  • Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

You’re all so kind.

Deborah, I read Victoria Magazine as well, starting when I was about 14 yrs old in the 80’s. I actually stIll have a lot of those old copies. I’m not a pack rack, but I have never been able to part with them.

Katyajini, My Rose de Molinard just started blooming and that fragrance is perfuming the air. Love it so much. Ascot has some blooms this morning too!

Sally Holmes I don’t find very fragrant. New Dawn is in the same area and I find her much more so.

La Rose de Molinard

(iceberg and Rosa Mundi seen in background)

Ascot

La Rose de Molinard and Earth Angel

Rosecanadian...THREE standard Poodles! I bow down to you. My Harry is a handful. LOL. He’s like having a toddler again. He is hilariously naughty, to the delight of my friends when I retell the tales of his misadventures.

Funny thing, I can take him anywhere. He’s stayed in the finest hotels and is as good as gold....but let him in the garden and he turns into a whirling dervish. That being said, I will always have a standard poodle. They’re truly amazing dogs and I love him to bits.

• mmmm12COzone5

A good eye for design, a great photographer, fantastically green thumb and you keep a white dog white? I bow down to you! Honestly after the photo of Harry looking at the table I have trouble choosing favorites. They are all so fantastic. Especially love your very professional arrangements. The photo with Harry looking at the table you should sell. I would put that on my wall because it gives me such a happy feeling. :-)

Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario) thanked mmmm12COzone5
  • rosecanadian

Did you create that hand bouquet tied with a ribbon? I could never do anything that refined and romantic. Yeah, I would get a rope horse lead and clip one dog to one clip, slide the rope through one of their collars (in middle) and clip the last dog to the other side. I still have the youngest poodle...he's 8 years old. Females are waaaay smarter from my experience. LOL

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

Oh my gosh, you guys are too nice. I’m laughing because I know nothing about photography. I have a cool camera and I point it at roses and push the button. Hahaha

As for the bouquets and arrangements, I watched a handful of YouTube videos where someone tries to teach you how to make a bouquet. Guess my YouTube time-wasting paid off. :o)

Yes, that bouquet with the bow was from this morning.

I have a little raised bed cutting garden at the side of my house. I go out every morning and pick flowers. I grabbed some snapdragons and filler etc to go with a few roses. It looked so pretty bundled in my hand as I walked around, so I grabbed a ribbon and tied in place for a quick picture.

I thought you might like this photo from this afternoon. A long border of Roses and foxgloves and other favourites putting on a colourful display in the background behind my fairy garden.

And a cozy little nook of roses.

I’m waiting impatiently for lots of peach foxgloves to bloom here too.

Oh, here’s Cinderella greeting all my neighbours at the sidewalk. She flanks both sides of the driveway.

• mmmm12COzone5

<sigh> It is all so lovely! Keep posting pictures. I am loving them. So lush and green.

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

You‘re enabling me! LOL

Port Sunlight

Elle

I love when the delphiniums peek in the window.

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ

What a gorgeous cottage garden!!

Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario) thanked CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
  • mas_loves_roses1

What a beautiful garden you have, Tammy!!

Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario) thanked mas_loves_roses1
  • mas_loves_roses1

Your Mitzouko is gorgeous!!

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

Bliss

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Your garden is like what mine wants to be when it grows up !! So charming and beautiful!

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Tammy: You had me at Ascot... the color and shape of the bloom is gorgeous.
    And Wow! Your garden is so charming and lovely... and hope to see more.

Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario) thanked Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
  • Minshen (8b/9a Victoria BC)

Major swoon here from another Canadian gardener, Tammy!! So many beautiful roses and i love your photography. I was interested in getting ascot, too. Could you please share how it's doing in your garden in terms of blooming power? I dont currently have any dark red roses, and would like to add only one, so i'm really picky here trying to find one that gives me lots of flowers and a strong impact.

And gosh! La Rose de Moilnard paired with that pale blue delphinium is just perfection. I have LRdM too and now i need to get those pale blue delphies! haha. Thanks for sharing!

Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario) thanked Minshen (8b/9a Victoria BC)
  • katyajini

Tammy, I can only voice what everyone is saying. Your garden, your home, your vision. hat you pull together all are so appealing. Thank you so much for showing us.

In the picture the color of your Ascot is beautiful. What is that color? A dark magenta with a lot of purple/blue? Mine, that I got bare root grafted from Palatine this spring, is almost red. Did you notice yours change color with age? The bloom form is unique and lovely. I dont detect any scent so far. You must have seen Diane's ascot, how gigantic it is? How big has yours gotten?

My Rose de Molinard, that I got at the same time, makes my heart smile with joy. It is so FRAGRANT! And the fragrance is so beautiful too. I had no idea that it would turn out that way. Its early going and many factors are in play but the fragrance was bigger than Yolonde d'Aragon also in the same shipment.

I am so pleased, more than pleased by what you suggested for me! Thank you!

• rosecanadian

Tammy - that's a wonderful fairy home! Your flowers are wonderful! What do you have growing over that beautiful trellis? I love your destination at the end of the path...wonderful! I love the window picture...the delphinium IS peeking in through the window!! Delightful!! That's a fabulous tip...it's such a romantic addition to the jars!! You're so clever!!

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

Minshen,

I wanted a “red“ rose, but I wanted one that would fit into my garden‘s colour scheme and I am so glad I went with Ascot. It looks straight out of a Grimm’s fairytale. This is its third year. The first year I thought it was okay. I was happy with it. Last summer...it knocked my socks off! I was so impressed. It’s like it said, “Pssst...check me out.”

I would say Ascot, Earth Angel, Pomponella, and La Rose de Molinard are my heaviest bloomers.

My winters here in Southern Ontario can be nasty, so I get a lot of winter kill on all my roses. So, after pruning, like all the others, it’s basically knee high...but by the middle of summer it’s probably 4+ feet tall, maybe closer to five feet. Here’s a picture I took of it last summer, but the pic is just from my iphone.

I find it has a lovely scent that reminds me of raspberries.

Katyjini,

Palatine lists ascot as a purple rose. There is definitely a lot of violet in this red, so it seems to work with my garden palette where I prefer the cool colours.

Mine is three now, but the colour has been quite consistent. I did see the ascot you mentioned. I only buy roses after checking here and on hmf. LOL. I don’t post often, but I would be lost without you guys and the advice found here. Mine stays a manageable size because of our winters.

And oh yes! is the fragrance on La Rose de molinard beautiful? Whenever I have company, that’s the rose bush everyone heads straight too and buries their noses in.

Rosecanadian,

oh gosh, I have been trying to cover the trellis for four years. I need to retire in the south. LOL

the only reason I ended up with such a great New Dawn display this year is because I defoliated all the canes last fall, tied them together, wrapped them in burlap, lay it flat on the patio along the lattice, and then buried the entire thing under mulch. I ended up with zero winter kill and it was awesome.

The gazebo-trellis has:

Eden Roses, Nahema Roses, Lady Northcliff Clematis and Henryi Clematis.

My Eden roses bloom great right now, but then they don’t really rebloom much.

Nahema I LOVED the first year. I have three throughout the garden...but I am no longer impressed. Great the first year, now pretty much duds for me. Quite disappointed actually.

The clematis is the only thing that seems to give me the height I want and they pair so well with roses.

*******

Now, would anyone care for tea or a Pear and Elderflower Martini in the garden? ;o)

Last year, David Austin’s Instagram page gave away three of their cocktail recipes from the restaurant at their display rose garden in England and I make them for my girlfriends during our socially distanced COVID-19 visits.

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Tammy -- please share the recipes! Love your Ascot. Gorgeous!

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

Deborah....here are my two favourite Cocktail recipes.

I changed the David Austin recipe a bit because I prefer it fruity rather than alcohol-y.

I found the provided measurements too strong for me.

Here are mine:

Pear And Elderflower Martini

30ml vodka

80 ml pear nectar

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tbsp elderflower cordial.

*mix with ice in martini shaker*

French Martini

3/4 oz chambord

1 oz vodka

2+ oz pineapple juice

here are screenshots of the David Austin recipes:

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Tammy: thank you for sharing your beautiful Garden and those delicious cocktail recipes with us. I can’t wait to make them.

I’m in love with your Ascot rose... and hope to get grow my own. It is such an enchanting rose. I currently have Eden and White Eden in my garden... do you think those color roses will play well with Ascot?

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

Hi Ann,

Oh, I definitely think they’ll go well together.

Those colours look so pretty to me.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Tammy: thank you for sharing that side by side. It’s so helpful. I honestly can’t get enough of seeing your garden, flowers and roses. You’ve created such a dreamy, enchanting, magical place... even though I haven’t been there in person. Your friends are all so lucky to get to enjoy garden parties in such an beautiful place.

Can you remind me what part of the country you garden in?

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Tammy: please feel free to Ignore my last question about where you garden. I just looked it up on your profile.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Tammy: every time I see the Ascot Rose... it is just so striking and enchanting. I almost feel like different roses have different personalities and some roses just speak to me more than others... or am I just turn into a “crazy rose lady”... 😉😂🤣

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

Ann, you made me giggle.

Yes, I am here in Southern Ontario, Canada.

When I was growing up, there was an ad on TV by Foodland Ontario, which was a promotional program aimed at getting people to buy Ontario grown food. The little jingle went like this, “Good things grow-oh-oh, in On-tari-o.” LOL

It‘s completely true. We are in a green belt here and practically anything I stick in the ground grows. I don’t feel I can take much credit for my garden because it’s just nature on my side. Winter is really the only obstacle, and really only for my climbing roses.

Oh, I totally agree about roses and their personalities. There is a quote in an old documentary about roses, hosted by Audrey Hepburn. I cannot ever find the quote again when I need it, but it was something about imagining an enchanted garden. Once a day, all the ladies the roses are named after come alive and walk around in it. I just love that mental image--waking up one morning and seeing Rosamund Clifford from the 12th century chatting with literary heroine, Mitsouko Yorisaki, regarding her secret lover in the British Navy, LOL So....you’re not a crazy rose lady. I think all of us rose-lovers have that ailment a bit. Hehehehe

• diggerdee zone 6 CT

Tammy, I have to echo everyone here and say how absolutely gorgeous your roses, your garden, your bouquets, and your photos are! Just beautiful.

Your Mitsuoko took my breath away! I am not familiar with this rose so instantly googled it, and I'm seeing zone 7 and warmer, and yet you grown it in your z5/6 garden? Also, do you already have zinnias in bloom? I'm in zone 6 in southern Connecticut in the states and I don't have zinnias yet lol.

I'm encouraged by you growing zone 7 roses! Perhaps I'll take a chance on Mitsuoko!

Thank you for sharing!
    :)
    Dee

Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario) thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
  • Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

Hi Dee.

You know, I saw Mitsouko listed as a zone 7 on hmf....AFTER I’d had it in my garden for over a year. LOL.

I bought Mitsouko from Palatine, (I live a 1.5 hr drove away) and on their site it was listed as a zone 5b. https://palatineroses.com/rose/mitsouko®-garden-rose-hybrid-tea-yellow-blend

So, seeing it’s been fine in my garden for three years, I am of the opinion it’s indeed zone 5b.

I have zinnias (and all sorts of other lovely things) in bloom because I start all my cutting garden seeds indoors. If I wait until May to sow, it just feels too short of a season. This way, I can enjoy them longer.

By May... stock piling before my “must-have“ annuals sell out. hahaha

Clearly, I need a greenhouse when I retire.

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

Dee....here’s another photo of Mitsouko.

She is so lovely as she changes day by day, starting off yellow and becoming more and more pink.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT

Tammy that's quite a system you've got going! :) Thanks for the info, and for the second picture. What a beautiful rose. Actually, it looks like if I get her I will have to use Palatine as well. She doesn't seem to be readily available elsewhere but I haven't truthfully done much of a search.

Thanks again, for answering me and for sharing your lovely garden!
    :)
    Dee

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

My Cinderella roses, in full bloom, peeking over the white picket fence. 💕
    They are along the sidewalk, flanking both sides of the driveway.

And, there are a drift of apple blossom carpet roses behind Cinderella, heading to the door.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Tammy: I never considered moving to Canada before... but then I saw hit garden... now it’s a real consideration. What is the weather like there in Southern Ontario. The closest I’ve been to Ontario, Canada was living in New York City. But now I live on the opposite side of the country in Southern California... and while I am definitely spoiled by the year round sunny warm weather here... I have to admit, I miss the changing seasons... especially the fall colors and even holiday snow. It would also be nice to have more land to have a proper rose garden and also vegetable garden and fruit trees would be lovely. I love to cook and entertain... so their idea of having my own organic garden to forage and cook from is a dream.

Some garden pictures... I love growing herbs among my roses... like culinary French Lavender and Sage. I adore the interplay of colors purple sage flowers are

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Tammy: it posted before I could finish my sentence... I meant to say that I adore the way the colors of the purple sage and lavender compliment my white iceberg roses... and I also love how I can use them to cook and make fun cocktails... Cheers!

• rosecanadian

Tammy - your Ascot smells of raspberries? Oh, that's my favorite rose fragrance! Wonderful picture!! Such a voluptuous rose! Man, that's a lot of work to overwinter a climber. Do you think you'd do that again...or just too much effort? That's a wonderful image of people the roses are named after strolling through the garden. This boggles my mind...really cool! I love your picture of your stockpile of plants! I was thinking of growing plants from seed (I have the whole system)...but I always think it'll be too hard. Or I won't do it right. That last photo of Mitsouko is so romantic looking!!! Oh!!!! Your white picket fence with the soft pink roses....beautiful!! MMmmmmmmm :)

Ann - we're all a little/lot crazy here...which is why we all get along so well!! :) People who live down east in Ontario (at least the ones I've talked to) always talk about the fall leaf change...that there's no where else like it!! So maybe you'll love it there! I think they get a lot of snow (Tammy will know)...which would be good for rose winter cover. You had a butterfly on your hand!!! How beautiful!!! I've never seen a butterfly in our yard. How wonderful!!

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

Your photos are lovely, Ann. I cannot believe that butterfly is in your hand! wow!

Southern Ontario definitely has all the seasons. Our summers are hot, hot, hot and our winters are cold, cold, cold. LOL

Rosecanadian, I actually do think I’ll do that to new dawn again. It was worth the hour or so of work for me.

Ascot definitely has a fragrance. It reminds me of raspberries...I might be the only one who thinks that though. LOL

If you start seeds, start with things like zinnias and cosmos. It’ll boost your confidence and show you just how easy it really is.

Here is quicksilver today, looking pretty.

I love Eden and daisies together.

Ascot, Lichtkonigen Lucia, and Pomponella.

• rosecanadian

Tammy - LOL - those are the 2 seed packets that I used...zinnias and cosmos!! I direct seeded them though...and they're not very big. I'm hoping they grow enough to flower...but we'll see. :) Oh yeah, for only an hour's worth of work...it was worth it!

I love the color of your Quicksilver! Daisies make everything look better. :)

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)
    10 hours ago

Some new pictures...

Quick Silver

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)
    10 hours ago

Cinderella and Apple Blossom Roses at their peak right now.

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)
    10 hours ago

And thought you’d like to see what my cutting garden is giving me. *grin*

Memoire Roses. They're so beautiful and fragrant I wanted to enjoy them before the Japanese beetles ravaged them.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    2 hours ago

Tammy: This is one of my favorite threads thanks to all the beautiful pictures you’ve shared of your garden. You seriously need to consider making a YouTube channel where you give us a tour of what’s growing and blooming in your garden and landscaping and gardening tips. I would totally subscribe to your channel and I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels this way... 😉 You made me SO HAPPY with all your photos... 😄 I can’t get over how beautiful your garden is. Please feel free to post more photos... even of your other flowers. I would love to learn more about the other flowers you pair with your roses. That’s where I’m struggling... to in finding good flowers that grow well with my roses... What is the name of the spiky looking lavender color flowers???... is that a variety of salvia?... and if so what variety is it? Do you replant new flowers every season because of the cold winters? How long do your winters last? The overall design of your garden is so lovely... it is so inspiring for me to see the pictures of your garden. I look forward to seeing more. Is your cutting garden a separate space from the rest of your garden? I’ve always loved the idea of having a cutting garden.

• rosecanadian
    1 hour ago

Tammy - you are sooo talented!!! Amazing flowers and bouquets!!!

Award Winning Window & Door Supplier in Loudoun County, VA