susanew

Online mattress shopping.....confused and dazed

cran

After much research I am considering 2 mattresses. Has anyone heard of the SleepEz or Saatva mattress ? I really don’t trust a lot of the reviews I feel they are just another way to advertise. . Also, not being able to try out the mattress and I am having trouble getting my head around not having to use a box spring. Any info more tips greatly appreciated.

• sushipup1

Tip: Don't buy a mattress that you cannot try.

cran thanked sushipup1
    Best Answer
  • Michael

I favor two mattress companies. Berkley Ergonomics and Spindle Mattress. Both offer superior brands of 100% Latex. We sleep on a Berkley 7 zone latex with European slat foundation. Nothing but good, deep sleep for us. That doesn't mean it's good for you, unless you try it at one of their stores.

Sleep EZ is a good company. So is Arizona Premium Mattress and Cozy Pure.

I wouldn't buy a mattress without visiting a dealer and spending at least 90 minutes to get the best fit for your body and sleep position. If you already have Latex sleep experience an online choice may work for you. Choose a company that offers free returns.

The pillow is the other half of the equation. Hullo is our current comfort level.

cran thanked Michael
  • sas95

I second not buying a mattress without trying it. A mattress could be technically "good," but not right for you. I have a latex mattress (no box spring, it sits on slats on a platform bed) that I love, but I tried a dozen before finding this one. I recently bought a latex topper from SleepEz for our guest room bed. The quality was very good, but it is much firmer than I thought it would be. "Medium" firmness from one company doesn't necessarily equate with "medium" from another.

cran thanked sas95
  • murraysmom Zone 6a OH

I bought a Casper mattress upon recommendation from a friend a number of years ago. I love it as much today as I did the first day I got it. But everyone is different and what one person likes may be unacceptable for another. My mattress before the Casper was from Macy's. I tried it out and said ok, but never really liked it at all.

cran thanked murraysmom Zone 6a OH
  • Arapaho-Rd

cran, I'm in the same boat with you!

memory foam, latex, hybrid, innerspring, one-sided or two, made USA or not ...

cran thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Lukki Irish

Bought our mattress from Sleepez a few years ago...still LOVE IT, they were very helpful and awesome to work with. Our mattress is perfect for us.

cran thanked Lukki Irish
  • beesneeds

This is an informative thread... my love and I have been thinking that after things get easier for going out to shop for one, we need to get a new mattress too. It's been forever, and both of us don't sleep as comfy as we used to.

We are used to sleeping on a platform... my hubby suggested maybe we try a Purple bed.

cran thanked beesneeds
  • Michael

I don't think the color makes much difference.:)

cran thanked Michael
  • Annegriet

I am perplexed by mattresses as well. I helped my Dad buy a mattress in October. He tried them out in person and is very happy. We went to one of those chain stores and he went with firm and sleeps great. I also need a new mattress. My lovely wrought iron bed requires a box spring. Currently my bed is squeaky. I've tried all the tricks and it's still squeaky. I'm kinda used to the squeaks but I can feel wire coils in the mattress. I still sleep okay so I'm going to wait until after pandemic. I am on board with waiting until you can try them out in person. I think I've been no help here!

cran thanked Annegriet
  • Michael

Your wrought iron bed can be easily modified to receive a slatted foundation which replaces a box spring.

Sample of Foundation

cran thanked Michael
  • Annegriet

Michael--that's interesting--thanks. My bed seems to be longer than a mattress though--I am wondering if the velcro that attaches would be long enough. I'm going to measure and email the company.

cran thanked Annegriet
  • B F

I agree you should test IRL. or do you have friends in your "social bubble" where you could test their beds out? just offer to bring your own pillow and sheet, LOL.

we recently bought a tuft and needle original. we happen to have a store in our city -- and were glad we tried it out. the "mint" was waaaaay too soft. the original had been on the floor long enough that we could get a good idea of how it would feel broken in. however, the first few months were tough. it was definitely too firm for a little while, and had we not tried the floor model IRL, we probably would have second guessed our purchase. but we stuck with it and love it now.

unfortunately mattress shopping is insanely difficult and you really can't rely on other people's opinions-- it's SO subjective.

as for getting rid of the old mattress? we offered it up on the buy nothing group and it got snatched up right away. but that was pre-pandemic times.

as for not having a box spring: it's wonderful! way less motion transfer / less disturbing your partner if you share a bed. just get a taller platform frame if you need height.

cran thanked B F
  • kathyg_in_mi

Several years ago when we were looking at mattresses for the first time in many, many years I was hopping from mattress to mattress to test them out. I know DH was probably thinking, Oh Lord there she goes again, but I found a mattress we absolutely love. So firm and comfy, love it! No idea the brand and I ordered a 4" metal box spring for it for 1/4 the price they would have charged!

cran thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

We ordered a Saatva mattress for our daughter last year. Could not be more happy. You do get a long time to try it.

cran thanked Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
  • Elizabeth

I have never bought a mattress I haven't tried. Even then, I made a few mistakes. Foam, memory foam and pillow top to name three. It all depends on what you are looking for in a mattress, If you want soft and marshmallowy....foam. If you want edge support make sure it says so. Memory foam is hot so if you like a bed that remains very warm that might be good. A very soft bed is not good for anyone with back problems.

cran thanked Elizabeth
  • Elizabeth

Kathyg: I had to laugh at your comment about your husband. Same thing at our house!

cran thanked Elizabeth
  • Michael

If you want soft and marshmallowy....foam.

What kind of foam is that? Latex can be very firm to soft and the layers are customized.

Maybe you're thinking polyfoam.

cran thanked Michael
  • justerrilynn

I have had two Saatva mattress. The first one was a high profile mattress in a medium/soft firmness. It felt wonderful at first but over time became way too soft and lumpy.

We have since bought the luxury firm (their best seller) in a lower profile and topped it with a 3 or (?) 4“ 100% latex topper. The whole ensemble is topped with a quality wool mattress protector topper . We sort of built our own bed. This works for us as we get a little of all.

cran thanked justerrilynn
  • Michael

We have a wool mattress protector too. Delicious comfort.

cran thanked Michael
  • maifleur03

This area has at least one mattress company that will manufacture a mattress for any shape that you have. If you have an odd sized bed especially an older one that is no longer considered standard do a search to see if there is one in your area.

cran thanked maifleur03
  • aktillery9

Cran, a friend of mine had a Casper and it was the most comfortable mattress! I have heard that Saatva is the highest rated well above Casper. I believe they have free delivery and free returns and they will come and pick it up if you are not happy with it. Also, you get months to try it out.

If I had the $$ I would buy one!

cran thanked aktillery9
  • Elizabeth

Michael, I was referring to memory foam as being soft and marshmallowy. It is seems to very commonly used now.

cran thanked Elizabeth
  • beesneeds

I'm going to guess no one has tried a Purple mattress?

cran thanked beesneeds
  • Hot Rod

@beesneeds - we did try a Purple mattress a few months ago. I could "feel" all the bumps/lumps in the pattern of it. I didn't care for it.

cran thanked Hot Rod
  • cran

Thank you all for you comments and suggestions. Try before I buy is probably the smartest route. I am very interested in the Hybrid mattresses especially the Saatva. Many of you confirmed that it is indeed a good product. I did try 2 beds amount of advertising for their "Sleep Lab" The sales person was so obnoxious it was a turn off. I also visited a Mattress Firm and looked at the Beauty Rest but didn't get great longevity score. I feel you get a lot more for your money online ...the search continues!

• justerrilynn

Cran, since mattress shopping is a nightmare it’s easier if you make a list of your aliments, allergies and if the bed is shared and even your age/fitness.

For example: if it’s a shared bed you want good weight distribution when the other person turns or gets in and out. Some beds also have horrible edge support that makes it hard to get in and out, forget about sleeping or sitting on the edge. Also, beds with memory foam on top feel great at first but sometimes pack down over time.

Some of my many ailments are fibromyalgia, an odd position previous broken tail bone and some allergies. My husband has hip pain. For the fibro ...dual innerspring coil hybrid layers work for me, the 100% latex topper cover the allergies and sticky outy bone and husband says his hip pain is less. A hybrid mattress with layer combos can help with weight distribution. I also need those hybrid support layers to turn easily.

Make a list of wants and then start the process of elimination. Then, if possible try your short list out in person.

My husband and I got burnt out fast with the tryouts and decided to go by my list and wing it online.

If you are a young sprightly little thing forget all the above. When I was young I spent very little on a mattress and still slept fine.

cran thanked justerrilynn
  • talaveran

I agree trying out is the best idea, but I wasn't able to do that in my locale for my preferences so I did wing it, after much research, with an online purchase. I got the Nest Bedding hybrid with a natural latex topper/insert and it's great. What I really like is the spring of latex, as opposed to the mush of memory foam which made my husband's back pain worse, and like Terrilynn, we have aches and pains to accommodate, and for us the latex did the trick. Plus the natural hybrid has a wool and cotton top that I wanted. The extra benefit of this particular company is that they have a tryout period and will exchange the firmness of the topper. There's a zipper compartment that allows for the change, and I did have to exchange mine for the plush and they honored their policy. Here's a link to their showrooms - not too many but well dispersed it appears: https://www.nestbedding.com/pages/showrooms I'm hoping in later years, we can just exchange the insert and freshen up the bed, without the whole thing having to be trashed. I'm really satisfied with the the workmanship on this mattress.

cran thanked talaveran
  • cran

Thank you justerrilyn and talaveran, I have decided on a hybrid. Sorry to hear about your aches and pains but I can relate with rheumatoid arthritis and a bad back. I will look into the nestbedding but there is no showroom around here, so the online option keeps calling my name.

• chisue

I've read that 'firm' is a lie today. People think they want it, and we're all told it's 'good for you', but because most of us lie down and say, "This feels like the floor," so they don't make 'firm' mattresses.

I don't like our current mattress (2018), but shy at throwing away another $3-4K (King). This is what's *called* 'firm', with a 2" topper to add some 'squish'. The topper is fine. The mattress started sagging immediately. (I'm 100 lbs. and DH is 180 lbs.)

What IS the 'mystery' that makes a decent mattress so costly? The mattress we bought as newlyweds over 50 years ago lasted 20 years. The replacement, from the same company (Verlo), died before age 10. After that...two years, maybe? I don't really believe this is only because we were younger then!

cran thanked chisue
  • justerrilynn

Chisue, it seems everything from big and small appliances to mattresses are made to last five or six years these days. This is one of the reasons I decided to buy my mattress latex topper separately . I hear the 100% latex lasts forever. If my mattress dies off I can just replace the bottom part and reuse the top.

cran thanked justerrilynn
  • maifleur03

Latex can last forever but the bed may not especially if you move around a lot. Think of it as a bunch of balloons. Eventually some will start breaking followed by others. If you ask the question online most answers are 8-12 years. One question to ask is about if the latex is natural or manmade. Natural will last much longer than manmade.

Beyond that there is what I call the funk factor. Both kinds to my nose gives off an odor. A plastic cover will help hide it somewhat.

• beesneeds

Thanks Hot Rod for the Purple commentary. I had kind of wondered about the pattern of the thing.

Does anyone have recommendations about heat factor with mattresses? I mean sleep heat... my hubby always kicks off BTU's like no tomorrow and likes being under the covers. And to be frank, I'm hitting a point in my life where night hot is becoming a problem. Is there heat dispersal or not with mattresses now, or is that still a topper and bedding thing?

cran thanked beesneeds
  • Michael

Chisue, what brand is this poor mattress? Any mattress that sags immediately should be covered by warranty.

bees, natural latex ventilates well.

cran thanked Michael
  • B F

so, from my experience, memory foam mattresses sleep really hot. so if it even if it's a coil or hybrid with a memory foam topper, look into what they do to keep it cool (and read the reviews).

I used to have an innerspring with poly foam "comfort layers" and it was not hot at all. whatever type of foam they use for tuft & needle also stays cool enough, IMO.

a note about king mattresses sagging, which leads to a hump in the middle: I read that is really common and considered acceptable wear and tear. I guess it's simple physics: it's such a large surface area. when two people are breaking it in, they're further apart than they would be in a queen (unless they're cuddly sleepers). Since a king mattress is nearly a square, I've actually considered routinely turning it one quarter just to help it break in evenly. of course that would only work if you were not very tall, and some bed frames wouldn't allow for that.

cran thanked B F
  • beesneeds

So far I'm starting to think when we start to go out shopping... latex might be the way to go rather than foam or traditional mattress.

cran thanked beesneeds
  • B F

from what I heard, latex lasts practically forever. I tried and didn't like it because it's kind of jiggly, but I think a normal sleeper wouldn't notice that. I'm a freak: I need as close to zero motion transfer as possible.

cran thanked B F
  • Lukki Irish

I tried and didn't like it because it's kind of jiggly, but I think a normal sleeper wouldn't notice that.

Not all latexes are created equal. There are different ways it can be mixed which might make a difference, thickness must also be a consideration. Our Sleepez mattress is 3 3 - 4 inch layers of Latex stacked and wrapped in a wool cover, each layer on it’s own is jiggly, but as a mattress in it’s cover, it’s not.

My best advise to the OP is to take one of the several highly recommended companies in this thread up on the free trial that’s offered and see how it works for you. My husband’s side is firm, mine soft and ever since we bought our latex mattress we’ve been happy with it. I wish we’d known about it earlier, over the years, we sure would have saved a lot of money if we had.

• maifleur03

For what it is worth in reply to the overheating mentioned above this morning I received an email ad from Bed Bath and Beyond that mentioned cooling blankets, cooling pads and pillows. I was intrigued with the mention of a weighted cooling blanket since last winter at wally world I saw a weighted blanket for "the secure feel" but I do not remember if it was heated. My cats would turn to me for their heating pad so I could not use the cooling things.

cran thanked maifleur03
  • justerrilynn

One of the reasons I was against an all 100% Latex mattress is that I sometimes sleep on my side on the edge and also because I sometimes might sit on the edge. Am I correct in that you can’t do that with a full Latex bed? I need a supportive edge. The other strike against is that they weigh a ton. We have been tossing around the idea of selling and living in sons townhome till we figure out what we want. I couldn’t imagine lugging that thing around. I’m happy with my 3” topper. I can roll that up.

cran thanked justerrilynn
  • B F

I don't think weighted blankets are "heated", but really warm just because of how heavy they are (especially if the cover is synthetic). recently I've seen "cool" versions of weighted blankets that use special materials and construction to help them breathe better.

mattresses are too hot if they trap your heat. so manufacturers try to add toppers with things like "cooling gel" or types of foam or wool that allows air to flow around you.

cran thanked B F
  • Michael

I couldn’t imagine lugging that thing around.

A configurable latex mattress is usually divided in 3 equal layers and a cover. It's simple to break it down and move it or spin it, or flip it. If your latex bed is customized according to sides (different feel for each person) that breaks it down more and makes it easier to handle.

cran thanked Michael
  • justerrilynn

Good to know Michael!

• Arapaho-Rd

From SleeponLatex -

"We believe that latex foam made through the Dunlop process works better for more people. The main difference in feel between the two types of foam is the springiness. While all types of latex foam have a springy and elastic feel, Talalay foam has an extremely springy, “bouncy” feel."

Good info on their site - Dunlop -vs- Talalay

• aktillery9

Hey Michael, I just bought an Allswell hybrid mattress. They are super innexpensive but get great reviews. I am not saying this one is for you... but I get it on Monday and will report back as to how I like it.

• Michael

aktillery9, I'm not in the market for a mattress. I'm all set.

I hope your Allswell works out for you even though it's a memory foam mattress.

• chisue

I think memory foam has a really short memory! In anything...slippers, seat cushions, mattresses.

I've done the mattress warranty dance before. The company sent some out to measure the depression. It has to be a two inch pit, and then you get some piddly discount...on a new one from the same wonderful people who made your hammock-y mattress.

I think I have about three years left on my body. I'm not sure latex is worth the money! We had two-sided twin extra-longs that we used as a king until this one-sided king. I would try using this 'sideways', but DH doesn't want to do it. We'd have to enlist our DS and DGS to rotate the darn thing.

• aktillery9

Sorry Michael. I meant that for Cran the OP. lol

• Arapaho-Rd

aktillery9, I'll be waiting to hear also! 😊

• B F

Michael that multi-piece system is really cool! one can swap the left and right, and flip / rotate them, which would really make the mattress break in evenly. also, one could just replace a topper if they needed a change (rather than replacing the entire thing). I like that idea. I wish more things were modular like that!

• Lukki Irish

Justerrilynn, that has not been our experience. My husband would sit on the edge of the bed every morning. I sleep on my side, often on the edge and that’s never been an issue for me either. We also have no “heat” issues.

• Hot Rod

The mattress I linked above sleeps cool. Much cooler than our older memory foam that we have in one of our other homes. When we can get back over there, I'll probably replace it with this same one.