mmmm12cozone5

Looks like my Jackson and Perkins rose from Witherspoon is virused.

mmmm12COzone5

This is Hypnotized from Jackson and Perkins. We got it from Witherspoon this past May as a bare root rose.

We are going to pull it out tomorrow. Anyone have any idea what virus this is and should we be worried about it spreading to all my healthy roses?

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Hmmm I have a rose like that too but I didn’t think much of it . Looking forward to hearing what others say !

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

It looks like RMV which is harmless and presents mainly with the first flush. It can set roses back sometimes, but my understanding is that almost every rose grafted on Dr. Huey in virused unless it has been specifically virus-indexed using a heat treatment, in which case the seller will definitely say so. Some roses never show symptoms for years if ever. I am sure it will improves and isn't something else.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • mmmm12COzone5

Thanks Vapor, I don't have any other viruses roses so really don't like seeing this one turn up. It is my first grafted rose.

• Diane Brakefield

Don't pull this rose up; it's perfectly good. The RMV is just a cosmetic problem that will probably disappear in the heat. I have roses 16 years old that have RMV and they are vigorous and fine. Diane

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Diane Brakefield
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

It may be RMV or maybe just some variation caused by weather or nutrients. If it were my rose I’d keep it, nothing really to worry about.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
  • seil zone 6b MI

Sorry, mmmm, but I'd be willing to bet real money that every rose in your garden is virused. Unless you have specifically purchased "virus indexed" roses most ALL roses in the US are virused. And I can practically guarantee any roses you bought from J&P are virused!

As Diane said, it poses no problem and the symptoms are rare to show up in healthy roses. I have a 65 year old virused Pinocchio that is just fine and winters well every year.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Dont pull it out. I had it on my Desdamona which is flourishing. It looks funky for a while but the rose had grown so much that I dont even notice it.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Diane Brakefield

Houzz! I have no idea why my comment posted twice in two different locations. Sorry, friends. Diane

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)

OP is distressed, but I like the combination of colors on several of the leaflets, such as the large leaflet 6:30 position in first photo.

The key is the maroon.

The color combo reminds me of kindergarten, when we learned about colors by mixing paint using various proportions of the primary colors.

• mmmm12COzone5

Thank you everyone for the input. In the end I decided against keeping Hypnotized. In the future I'll stick with own root roses also as it sounds like the grafted ones are more likely to have a virus.

I got Fred Load's to go in it's place but I think we are going to plant it in a different location as Matt from High Country Roses says it gets 6' tall here.

Vapor, do you know who Fred Loads was? I have done some research but cannot find out about the history of the name of this rose.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

You are harsh task master, mmmm12! LOL! I think Matt really likes FL as he mentioned it to me one time. Here's some info on its namesake, a beloved old-time Engish gardening expert. Gardener's Question Time, AbeBooks, Amazon.

• mmmm12COzone5

Thanks Vaporvac!!! Sounds like an excellent person to name a rose after. We haven't put it in yet. Still trying to decide on a location. Matt was very confident about 6' which makes me hesitate to put it in a hole I had designated for a hybrid tea.

Edit: I thought about what you said about harsh task master. Here was my logic. The rose garden's sole purpose is to please me. I couldn't think of a single reason to keep a virused rose from a poor producer putting out inferior product when I have so many clean looking, healthy roses available to me through High Country Gardens. If I kept it would always be checking it's leaves, worried about it transmitting to other roses, cleaning tools between roses (which we don't do) etc. Basically it would have been a burden rather than a joy to have in the garden. Getting rid of it was an easy decision.

• mmmm12COzone5

One idea we had is to put the Fred Loads where hypnotized was and then put one of the giant Canadian bushes behind it on the north side. They both would get sun and the giant Canadian would hopefully provide a bit of a privacy screen. But which Canadian? I had picked out Felix LeClerc based on nippstress and other's comments. But Matt doesn't like it for this area. William Baffin seemed like it might get too big and I'm not super enthused by the flowers.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Hmmm, which Canadian? Why doesn't Matt like FL for that area. Here it needs a support, while I don't believe William Baffin does and its supposed to be one of the best bloomers of the earlier varieties. I think the mass of flowers makes up for the lack of individual beauty. I suppose Linda Campbell would be clash-city. I'll try to look through his listings later today and look forward to others' suggestions.

• mmmm12COzone5

Vapor, now sure which one yet. I has settled on Felix Leclerc until I talked to Matt and he said he has never seen a good looking one here. Nippstress in Nebraska reviews it as one of her best. So I'm guessing maybe the lack of humidity. But that is only a guess. Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

The other roses I considered before deciding on Fred Loads were JoAns Pink Perpetual and Ferdinand Pichard. But they were both in the same size range as Fred Loads. I'm trying to zone down to get roses that don't die back to the ground. If I went with a zone 5 it probably would have been Jump for Joy and that would have fit perfect in that spot. But I decided against it.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I was going to suggest Darlow's Enigma, but I think you already grow that. Hopefully some of the norther growers will comment.

• roseseek

Google says... "Fred Loads (of Lancaster) was an author and a popular panellist on the BBC Radio 4 program "Gardeners' Question Time"." Nice thought about sticking with own root roses due to budded roses having virus, except that is not accurate. If your new J&P rose was infected, it was because the producer was cheap and lazy. Someone used infected root stock somewhere and either propagated from the infected crop or yours was the initial infected crop. Now, if they root from that infected crop, all of those lovely own root plants will also be infected. So, you're going to have to take your chances and hope you don't get another infected plant. Good luck with that.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked roseseek
  • mmmm12COzone5

Thanks roseseek for the info. Also for the explanation as to how the plants get infected. I certainly will be on the look out for any other infected plants and will throw them out as soon as I notice them being virused. So far my High Country Roses have been healthy and shown no signs of virus. So I'll stick with them as my supplier.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Funny, mmmm, how we are all different. I am trying so hard to please the roses and give them what they like. If one does not thrive I figure I am doing something wrong or it doesn't like our area.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
Loudoun County's Preferred Home Builder