maackia

Hometown Trees for one-hundred, Alex

maackia
5 days ago

We’re in a sweet spell of weather, and last evening I took a stroll around the campus area. There were a few trees that jumped out at me, and I hope you’ll share a picture or two of trees doing your hometown proud. This pic is Celtis occidentalis (Hackberry), which is generally not considered part of tree nobility. This one is doing its best to dispel that thinking.

Comments (24)

• bengz6westmd
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

Beautiful specimen, tho they do tend to get branch-breakage & subsequent decay as they get large here. I posted this pic of 2 hackberries here yrs ago, do it again:

maackia thanked bengz6westmd
    Best Answer
  • maackia
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Wow, Ben, the bark on that tree(s) looks unusually "warty." Is that fairly typical for common hackberry in your region?

Here's Tilia americana (Basswood), which a dbh of around 3'. I've got a few wild ones growing in the woods, but none nearly as nice as this.

• bengz6westmd
    4 days ago

maackia, hackberry bark around here varies between that and almost smooth -- quite variable. Common (northern) basswoods are common here in my particular local spot, tho their occurrence is very spotty this far south. Further southwest in VA mountains there was very similar white basswood. Here's a volunteer common basswood at the corner of my house -- haven't cut it, maybe dig up to give my brother:

• bengz6westmd
    4 days ago

Another hackberry in Hagerstown, MD city park that was just months later broken/destroyed by Hurricane Isabel in Sept 2003. The bark on this one was moderately warty. A far larger hackberry was present in the park years earlier (1980s) that was damaged by wind/decay & eventually had to be cut down:

• indianagardengirl
    4 days ago

I have posted this photo before but I love this tree. Quercus bicolor, Swamp White Oak on the edge of the property line. 5 foot chain link fence for scale.

• Bill_minn_3b {West Central MN}
    4 days ago

Quercus macrocarpa: Molly Stark Lake, near Glendalough State park last July.

The water is not far below as this was roughly 8 ft above the lake where springs abound. Guessing 32-36" diameter?

• bengz6westmd
    4 days ago

Huge cottonwood in Hagerstown MD city park near Hager House -- me for comparison. Best guess around 125 ft tall -- had been taller but top broke off in Hurricane Isabel Sept 2003:

• alley_cat_gw
    4 days ago

What a great thread!

4 days ago

Very nice beng. We have very large cotton woods around here but more so when you travel west entering the prairies of western MN and Dakotas. Some of them have to be 4-5 ft dia abh.

Here's a northern red oak in a park in Staples MN. I didn't get a full view bc of all the surrounding trees. Estimation near 4 ft. diameter abh.

• maackia
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Nice trees! No surprise oaks are being shown. IGG, I remember you posting a pic of the Swamp White Oak and thinking what a rugged, beautiful tree it is. If anyone has ever been on the campus of Hanover College outside Philly, they have a similar gorgeous specimen, which I think might be the Pennsylvania champion.

Bill, I used to stay in Fergus Falls for my work. I think that whole lakes region is the prettiest part of MN, but the SE is also sweet. Was the canopy of the red oak as impressive as the trunk?

4 days ago

Very healthy looking specimen for Quercus rubra. It was at least 60 ft iirc maybe more. I'll have to try to get a better picture next time I get to Staples.

• bengz6westmd
    3 days ago

Big Q rubra behind Hagerstown (MD) Municipal Pool:

2 days ago

You win ben! haha

Here's a red pine I have out in the country. Turns into a twin trunk above that low branch. :-)

• maackia
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Bill, you win for submitting the first conifer. :)

Here's a pic of Redbud, and I can almost hear the yawns from those in z5 and south. We're at the very northern edge of their range, and they tend to be short-lived. This one is about as large and nice as they get around here. It's next to a U-shaped building and is protected on three sides, which definitely helps.

2 days ago

I wish I had some protection that good, I'd make good use of it.

• whaas_5a
    2 days ago

^ yep!

• whaas_5a
    2 days ago

All nice shots - ecspecially impressed by Maack’s hackberry specimen. Don’t see them with that nice form typically.

Shagbark Hickory gets me every time.

• alley_cat_gw
    2 days ago

Here's one of two amazing oaks from my neighborhood. Sorry but I'm not sure of the cultivar.
    Photo from last winter

• alley_cat_gw
    2 days ago
    • Species
    2 days ago

Just a wild guess but appears to be some sort of Red Oak.

• indianagardengirl
    2 days ago

Keep the big trees coming! Really enjoying this thread, there’s nothing like these venerable old trees. Except maybe the young ones that will get there one day, if we just leave them be. :-)

• maackia
    Original Author
    2 days ago

I should’ve named this thread ‘Tree Time’ in honor of Ken. I believe these pics capture the essence of that phrase. I hope there’s more, but thank you all for sharing.

• bengz6westmd
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

White oak just a few houses away from where I grew up in (Hagerstown, MD). Used to play around/under it. Estimated around 300 yrs old and still there and healthy.

yesterday

Nice ben.

I'm surprised the utilities company hasn't butchered it for line clearance.

Sponsored
Loudoun County's Family-Owned Home Builders