westes

Oscularia Deltoides "Pink Iceplant" Dies in 5-1-1 Mix?

westes Zone 9a California SF Bay

I have an oscularia deltoides "pink iceplant" in two planters. The first photo below shows what the plant looks like up close, and the second photo is one of my containers, which is now completely hidden by the cascades of deltoides that grow over its corners.

On a lark, I decided to change the soil in one of the containers to the 5-1-1 mix, which I believe was dolomite lime adjusted. The deltoides (four separate plants at four separate corners of the container) immediately went south. After about six months of getting smaller and smaller, they all died.

Has anyone else attempted to grow deltoides in a 5-1-1 mix? Is there a trick to getting it to grow there? I thought it might be a pH sensitivity, but deltoides seems to tolerate everything from pH 6 to 7.8. Maybe I messed up the dolomite lime application.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5

Except where you live there's no reason to grow this plant in that mix. It's not that picky, and it's unnecessary (if it's ever necessary for succulent plants) for its health- in fact, IMHO it's perhaps detrimental to it. Why folks who are in climates that don't need to use this mix use this mix/become enamored of it is a real poser to me, but I'm not that clever (said in a Virgil Sollozzo voice).

westes Zone 9a California SF Bay thanked cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
  • westes Zone 9a California SF Bay

@cactusmcharris I have the deltoides in a planter with a boxwood. It's a very nice combination, and the 5-1-1 was more about trying to nourish the boxwood than the deltoides.

What soil mix would you use in a container for deltoides + boxwood?

• socks

That is such a pretty plant. Aqua with pink stems! I had a couple in the ground, but they just became too big and overgrown. I yanked them out but didn't save a cutting. Oh well. Sorry you lost yours. Maybe Mountain Crest has them.

westes Zone 9a California SF Bay thanked socks
  • cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5

75% Supersoil and 25% pumice, or something similar.