widdy23

Flooring experts, what is going on with my new floors???

widdy23
12 days ago

Would really appreciate any help or guidance with my situation. My husband and I really wanted rift cut white oak flooring in our remodel. Due to COVID, our contractor informed us his flooring guy couldn't get the wood and it would delay our project by at least three months. I was able to find the wood online through Hurst Hardwood, and they shipped the wood from a mill in the Midwest. Not ideal, but we were able to proceed as planned, or so we thought. After installing there were certain boards with these really weird blotchy marks. Sanding didn't get rid of them and the stain/sealer accentuated them. We found a board in the scrap that appears it runs all the way through the wood. The flooring guy thinks we should tear it all out and start over, questioning the quality of the entire lot. Our contractor mentioned cutting out the worst boards and patching, but the flooring guy said we may have gaping issues with that in the future. Does anyone know what this is or have recommendations to fix? We stored the wood appropriately and acclimated it on our end prior to install, so I know that isn't the issue. Help, thank you!

Comments (8)