Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_bruce35

Freestanding tub next to shower - how to layout?

alison_bruce35
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have a 118"X156" master bath that current has a tiny 36X36 shower and giant whirlpool tub. I'd prefer to have a freestanding tub next to a walk-in 48"x60" shower, but I'm working within the existing space which has a large 48" window. (and we aren't moving the toilet) This is the layout I'm thinking, but is there enough space between the tub & shower? Any other thoughts on how to situate the tub?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

The tub needs to have a min. of 12” all the way around it so do you have that it does not look like it to me. Post some pics of the space

• alison_bruce35
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is what the space looks like currently.

• AJCN
    3 years ago

We have a 4 x 6 shower, but with a clipped corner where the door is. Can you bring the tub out away from the wall? I think you have room to clean around it if you do that.

alison_bruce35 thanked AJCN
  • alison_bruce35
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yeah I do want a pony wall and would prefer to have my fixtures opposite the shower head. I considered putting the door where you have it but I liked the idea of being able to put my towel somewhere. I can change the orientation of the door but then it would open right where I stand in front of the sink, so I'm not sure which way is better. Is it ok if the tub isn't centered with the window?

• AJCN
    3 years ago

Not being centered under the window would not bother me because the window isn't centered on that back wall. But I know it may bother some people.

Personally I don't care for freestanding tubs. But if you really want a freestanding one, you have room to put a little wooden stool or something like that next to it for your shampoo and such.

If you like the idea of a toilet room (a lot of people love them, and just as many hate them), it also looks like you have room for one and still have room for a long vanity. I think that wall is the 118" one. If a toilet room is approx 3' x 5' or even a little wider, you'd still be able to have a vanity that's approx 72" or a little longer.

You could also clip the corner of the shower. We needed to do that because of how the room is shaped and to accommodate a large linen cabinet. Our door is on the angled part. That would enable you to open the door without hitting the tub. We also used a teak corner bench instead of a built in stone one, mostly because we like how it brings in a visually warm element.

You could put your shower controller on the other pony wall (nearest the tub). We have our door able to swing inward and outward because we like to leave it pushed in a little so that the steam can get out faster. Ours is a steamer, so that mostly why, but it also aides in easy-reach to the controls.

• alison_bruce35
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! I probably will skip the wall near the toilet but I do like the angled entrance idea. Also something I considered. As well as the tub laying diagonal. I do like the idea of a tub and we have plenty of space for one.

• AJCN
    3 years ago

You can certainly put your bathtub on an angle. In fact that with trick the eye as far as worrying about centering it under a window. It will appear balanced, not violating symmetry, and it will look intentional. Then decide if you want a toilet room or not. I like having a toilet room in my master, but a lot of people don't like that. You have room for it, so decide. If not, I highly recommend a pony wall between vanity and toilet. You shower will be huge. A 4 x 5 shower is great, even if the clipped corner steals a little real estate.

• AJCN
    3 years ago

What are you planning for your vanity area?

• alison_bruce35
    Original Author
    3 years ago

72" double vanity with wall mounted faucets and white quartz countertops. Backsplash will match the accent tile in the shower. Two single mirrors and sconces. I'm planning a custom vanity... Considering using kitchen cabinetry for added depth. I'm short and my husband is tall.

• AJCN
    3 years ago

Sounds very pretty. We are not tall people, but we still wanted the taller vanity (36" from floor to the top of the marble), but not deeper. I think my kitchen cabinets are 24" deep, but the bathroom counter is 22" deep.

Regarding the backsplash, I would recommend using the quartz instead of an accent tile there, unless you are tiling the whole wall. At least look up some Houzz pictures to see what you think of the look where people do these things: 1) use the countertop material for the splash; 2) use an accent tile for the splash; and 3) use the accent tile for the whole wall. IMO using an accent for a short splash makes the vanity area look too busy and acts as a focal point, and I prefer something else as the focal point like your freestanding tub or some beautiful artwork. Regardless of what you decide, you have a great spot on the back wall, to the left of your tub for a nice big piece of art.

Good luck!

alison_bruce35 thanked AJCN