alliemc13

Seeking Inspiration for Brownstone Apartment

alliemc13

Hi! We recently moved into a lovely garden level brownstone apartment. It has so much character especially with the wood trim details. I want to make careful furniture decisions that compliment rather than clash with the trim and help brighten the space since it gets less natural light than we're used to. I am thinking that a minimal, neutral color palette will work best to keep things clean and airy, would love input on this!

I am especially struggling with dining room table design and placement. Would a small rectangular table overwhelm the space or would round be better? I found the attached marble table and thought it might bring something special but I want to be confident that the placement and style could work with the space. Any ideas on placement, chairs, rugs etc. would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

• Gcubed

Are you renting or is this yours? What about a banquette on kitchen side of fireplace and a round pedestal table with 2 chairs on outside. How many people dine daily?

alliemc13 thanked Gcubed
    Best Answer
  • Tia M

Have you checked Pottery Barn? They have nice marble dining tables. I have the Christie. I'm no pro so I can't give tips on sizing.

• freedomplace1

I think you may be unsure if the table will work for a reason. I am not sure that this table style works well in the space. Marble could work maybe; but another style.

Is the furniture that is in the apt now your’s?

• ptreckel

I don’t know how big a table you need for your family, but I think a round marble table (think Saarinen) would look fabulous in your home. Juxtaposing modern with vintage. Also...everything I see in your home is quite rectangular/linear. Round would be a nice break from that.

• acm

I honestly can't tell from the photos where a table will be placed -- that would help with judging the right style and size!! what's behind the wooden pocket door?

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)

Look at Room and Board. Love NYC brownstones since I grew up there :)

Simple furniture lines will not draw attention away from the gorgeous woodwork. Look at Scandinavian as well.

• Gcubed

Do you have a floor plan or can you draw one? Can’t tell where you’d put the table without blocking all flow from front room to kitchen (I assume that’s the middle space with fridge)? What’s in the farthest space with the door?

• alliemc13

Thanks everyone for the input! The placement is what I’m having the most trouble with, rectangle or round because I think anything in the center would block the flow as mentioned. The kitchen is in the middle and the bedroom is beyond the kitchen. Here’s a picture of the layout if anyone has feedback! Thanks!

• alliemc13

It’s a rental. It’s only me and my boyfriend so we don’t need anything massive. I like the idea of a bench on the side of the fireplace!

• Theresa Janssen

agree with the idea of a bench on the side of the fireplace and then a round table with it....heres the idea, but a round table instead

• Jinx

What a fabulous place, that woodwork is stunning!

I like the banquette idea, too:

Or a small, rectangular table:

For lots of inspiration and ideas, do some searches for ‘brownstone dining area’ and others like that (if you haven’t already). Another good source is looking up brownstone real estate pictures to see how others have placed things.

• alliemc13

Thanks so much everyone!! Definitely going to go with round and look into a banquette that might work. Really appreciate the input!

Madcam Enterprises

Would love to see how it turns out! Keep us posted :)

www.homesweethomestore.com