michele_kleinhomer

Looking for kitchen design ideas

I moved into my house in 1994 when it was built by the contractor. Other than the paint, I haven't done any remodeling. Now that the kids are finishing college, I am ready. I would love ideas of what to do. I am looking to update our entire first floor.

• All of our flooring needs to be replaced. I am open to ideas on what to replace it with. Because I have 2 large dogs, I need flooring that will hold up to their nails, etc.
  • Our kitchen cabinets and countertops need to be replaced. I have been looking at quartz countertops, shaker style white cabinets, and luxury vinyl flooring.
  • The powder room needs to be redone.

I don't feel like I have a clear picture of how to pull everything together. Because all the walls in my house are painted the warm color that you see in the picture, I don't know that I should change the wall color. A number of my rooms flow together.

I would love to hear ideas. Thank you!

• live_wire_oak
  • Design Girl

First, thanks for the photos. A whole first floor renovation is a big undertaking and should be done in a thoughtful and consistent manner. Do you have a budget in mind? That will help with suggestions we may have. It's also nice to have a floor plan with measurements, etc. Are you changing you furniture or just looking for kitchen ideas? Your photos show what looks to be real hardwood floors and you've got a gorgeous traditional staircase. I would never put LVP in a home with that staircase, especially if you've already got the real thing. Just refinish and stain the hardwood you have, and lace in new wood in rooms that don't have it. The hardwood in my house has been here since the house was built in 1974. I've been here since 1992 and it's gone through 2 kids (3 if you count DH), 3 dogs and they are just getting refinished for the first time. They actually don't need it, but I want a different color. LVP adds no value to a home as it's really just plastic. Post a floor plan with measurements so we can better help.

• Michele Kleinhomer

HI Design Girl...thank you for the comments. For a budget, we feel comfortable spending up to $80,000. Our current hardwood flooring needs to be replaced because we didn't take care of it. We were young when we purchased the house (27) and didn't know about taking care of the flooring. We are nervous about getting hardwood flooring again (although I do like it) because we have a Newfoundland and an Akita.

It will take me a day or so to get the room dimensions.

I have a couple of general questions for you...

• Do you think we could have white cabinets look nice with the current wall color?
    • If we replace our hardwood with hardwood, what would you suggest for the kitchen flooring?

Thank you for your suggestions!

• megs1030

If you're going to make all these changes, change the wall color. Trust me, if you don't, you'll want to when all is said and done. It's a tired looking beige and will likely be a small fraction of your budget to do. Don't back yourself into a corner with a complete redesign and keep your wall color.

Whatever flooring you install in your first floor, install in your kitchen. Hardwood holds up well... I've had it in all 3 house I've owned and never had a problem.

• Michele Kleinhomer

Megs1030,

Thank you for your comment. Do you recommend a wall color? I know gray is popular right now. Would that be the way to go or should I worry that it will become outdated soon?

• live_wire_oak

80K is going to be really tight for all of that. You can’t afford to make mistakes. Hire the Kitchen Designer. Planning this is exactly what they do.

• Michele Kleinhomer

Live_wire_oak, I have been talking with a couple of designers about ideas. At the moment, I feel like I am the problem because I am indecisive. I need to hear comments like I heard a few minutes ago about my wall coloring being tired looking. I am not confident in this area. I am a computer professional – design is not my strong point.

• Design Girl

Ah, my best friend has a Newfoundland - She's had them all her life and will never have another breed. They are so sweet. BTW, she has hardwood floors. To answer your questions white cabinets will work with your current paint color, but the paint may not fair well thru the renovation. It looks to be a warm neutral that gives a nice homey vibe. So refreshing from the millennial gray we see all over now (which is on the way out).Honestly, I've got hardwood all through my house and put it in the kitchen during our first renovation in 1995. I'm refinishing it during a renovation I am working on now. Do you need to replace the floors, or do they just need to be sanded and refinished? However, if wanting something different in the kitchen, I'd get a nice porcelain tile. It's inexpensive and wears like iron. Hardwoods are beautiful and will last a long time if you have area rugs over them. They make so many great looking indoor/outdoor rugs these days that are great with pets. They also make great polypropylene carpets as well. So many choices that we never had way back when. You can literally take them outside and hose them off. BTW, when you get the measurements (kitchen is necessary), there are so many here that can help with a layout and design. Mama Goose is wonderful at kitchen design and so generous with her time. Just make sure to post all the measurements of the walls, windows and doors so we will have all the information.

• Michele Kleinhomer

Design Girl...I need to replace the hardwood flooring. I had two people look at it. Unfortunately, we let our kids run on it after coming out of the swimming pool, etc. We did not take care of it.

• Design Girl

Well, live and learn - we've all been there.

• megs1030

@Michele Kleinhomer, you're putting the cart before the horse. No one can pick a paint color for you just yet, that's the last thing to worry about.

1. Do your research and start building an ideabook of kitchens and interiors you like (can be done on Houzz)

2. Get your budget in order and pad it by 20% for all the things that will presumably pop up during this project.

3. Hire a KD.

4. Select all your options: cabinets, flooring, appliance (if replacing), countertops, b/s, and lastly paint.

• emilyam819

You have a good layout from what I can tell. So you only need flooring, wall paint, and kitchen. I’d try to put the fridge to the right of DW and make the old fridge space pantry, beverage/snack area, buffet, double ovens, whatever you need. But currently the island interrupts your work triangle. Island can be longer, maybe.
    Ask the designer to choose a white wall paint with neutral or gray undertones that’ll work with your trim and cabinet whites.

• ljptwt7

Hardwood for sure! Wood or tile in kitchen. Tile in bathroom. Hopefully mamagoose will give you kitchen layout once you post dimensions. Choose what you love not what is trending. Enjoy!

Wall colour last choice so don’t worry about that right now. As for flooring we have a Pyrenees and 2 large golden crosses and I would not have wood floors with them. We have really good quality laminate that looks like slate in our main floor and vinyl plank in the walk out basement both have stood the test of 13 yrs and still look awesome. I have to be honest as designer I never recommend wood floor with large dogs. As for the rest of your space IMO you have healthy budget but it will need to be carefully used. The floors and the kitchen are the big items and those should be the first priority. Also lighting in the kitchen for sure that needs to be pot lights all LEDs in 4000K before even choosing cabinet color. I need to know if you are planning a change in your style too.