mamacitanikita

color suggestions for tired kitchen -selling

Mamacita Nikita

My mom is putting her house on the market and we need to freshen it up with the most bang for the least buck. We are having the whole house and cabinets painted, new appliances, sink, hardware and quartz countertops. The tile will be steam cleaned and new gray carpets. Thinking of BM Simply White for walls and cabinets? Not sure how that will look with gray carpet. What colors would you recommend with that floor? I'm stuck.

• Katie B.

Either of those would work

Mamacita Nikita thanked Katie B.
  • freedomplace1

Wood is en Vogue right now plus is classic, so I would definitely not paint the cabinets. I would do a new sink and faucet and new stainless appliances. That’s it. Let the new owners choose their own countertop and give them the opportunity to enjoy the wood if they choose to.

i would also paint the walls a color that would complement the wood and floor. It looks like the wall color now might be grey. Definitely would get rid of that. Probably would do a warm white.

And I don’t know what lighting situation is, but if possible, upgrade light fixtures.

Mamacita Nikita thanked freedomplace1

Suggestions for updating a tired exterior

I like your home. I've painted stucco before and it holds up really well. The pinky beige is a bit dated. I would paint the stucco a grayish white...like a limestone type color. If your windows are white vinyl and can't be painted, I'd stick with the trim being white to tie in the windows. Paint the front doors a dark black-blue color. I wouldn't add stone. Keep the home clean lined stucco....and the emphasis on your nice landscaping.

Looking for inspiration to re-hab tired kitchen cabinets

Um, wow, can that fancy software now actually do the work? Thank you to everyone so far for the suggestions! Think this decided NO to 2-toned painting or detailing, love the idea of possibly taking down the 'backsplash' of granite (it is more brown in person, sigh); possibly remove the cross-piece; yes, 20 years of varnish to sand off (can be hubby's job! I occasionally sand too far). I will take more photos when we go back for final visit-inspection. Over by the seating area (currently cheap built in nook) is a pair of French doors leading to side yard. Seriously though, THANK YOU; much more fun to hear from community than stare alone at magazines or attempt to converse in Swiss-German (anyone know how to say 'backsplash' and 'garbage disposal' because I still don't!).

Kitchen is Tired Looking along with dinning room

The first soluition would be to take all the little tile down...back spash and soffit. Then paint all a light color that goes with your granite. Failing that, is there any way you can paint over the little tile? When I looked at your kitchen I first thought it was wall paper and thought WOW. I think if you take care of the walls first, then think about your cupboards. I can see you taking off the center board and putting a pretty wooden madallion (stained) on the center and then putting the pulls in the lower corner....something pretty looking. Then if you still want to paint, then go ahead and do it.

Tired kitchen tiles

Love those drum lights! It depends on your layout. If your kitchen is its own room, you can do whatever you want, but if it opens to other rooms, you'll want to pick flooring that works with what is already in those rooms. That being said, I think an ash wood-like plank tile would work incredibly well with your space. It would pick up on on the monochromatic white-grey-black theme you already have in the space.
  • Donald

A hot market with low inventory and your agent has told you to upgrade everything? Get a new agent.

• amanda99999

A yurt on my land would sell for only about 25% less than my house (I'm in a hot market with low inventory.)

Get a 2nd opinion from another broker. (I really doubt the changes you listed will add $80,000 - over 22% - to the price.) A person or young couple with DIY skills would jump at an unimproved home in such a market.

Keep in mind that the time to do these improvements, and the hidden surprises often found when doing repairs, will mean longer time until you can go on the market (which means $ loss due to paying the mortgage interest, taxes, utilities, opportunity cost on the sale proceeds for the weeks/month+ you waited to sell) and perhaps cost more than you think. Not to mention at least in my hot market handymen/plumbers/etc. are expensive and you wait your turn. No one will be fooled by the upgrades mentioned - I'd rather not pay for those changes and pay that much less for the home (so I can choose my own faucet, paint color, rug.)

• megs1030

Agree with all of the above. And you need to look at several comps, not just one. With today's craziness surrounding Covid, keep your updates to a minimum. Contractors are overwhelmed and could shut down at a moment's notice. So keep that in mind, you don't want to be stuck mid-upgrade and not be able to put your house on the market. Keep your updates to a minimum and price to sell.

• Mamacita Nikita

Thanks for all of the armchair real estate advice. I'm not interested in that.

We are going to at least make it move-in ready for the next buyer, so it's getting appliances, carpet and paint.

I'm looking for paint/carpet color ideas with that tile floor. If I decide to paint the cabinets, any color combinations?

• salonva

It's hard to read the color of the tile, but if it's more beige/tan than gray, then I would probably go with beige tan carpet and not gray. Many people use White Dove for the cabinets. I am reading that you are getting new appliances and counter top- so I guess that means new sink as well. ( get undermount and stainless sink and appliances). I do agree that faucet and pulls or knobs would add a lot. Remove the wood blinds then as it won't relate to anything and either replace with white faux wood, or leave bare.

I replied based on your determination to do the upgrades. There is a lot of truth to the caution though that once the work does begin, hold ups happen and your time frame might be tight........and contractors are so busy now. A few have commented that it seems everyone decided to get work done on their houses at once and demand is through the roof.

Mamacita Nikita thanked salonva
  • Mamacita Nikita

Yes, the tile is more tan. For reference, I believe the wall is painted Valspar Paper Bag. We haven't decided 100% that we're going to paint the cabinets. I'm going next weekend to check their condition in person.

• apple_pie_order

Beige carpet one or two shades darker than the cleaned tile floors. Gray won't go with what the house already has. If you have to pick out carpet from afar, see if there's an extra tile to take home with you.

• Katie B.

What kind of community are you in? hip and single? Young families? Retirees? Coastal? downtown? That will make a difference for the finishes

• Mamacita Nikita

Young families and retired snowbirds. Mostly people who want move-in ready. Modern farmhouse is BIG here.

• Carolae

The color of the kitchen tile will drive the paint color selection in that room. For resale, painting all rooms the same neutral color is best (and cheapest). Benjamin Moore Manchester Tan with Cloud White trim is a great neutral color, but might be a little dark in smaller rooms. I would not do a gray carpet or gray walls. Beige carpet would be good but avoid pinky beige carpet color. You could paint the bathrooms the same white as the trim or the same beige as the rest of the rooms, depending on what looks good with the bathroom tile.

Mamacita Nikita thanked Carolae
  • Katie B.

Updating the kitchen really seems like a colossal waste of time and money that will snowball very quickly, but if you’d really like to and feel you to need to update to sell- neutral or warm white cabinets, counters, subway tile, modern cabinet hardware...this would work with the wall colors suggested by Carolae.

if you keep the cabinets (I’m still for this), you could do a gray wall paint with the wood and the same set of improvements above

this is BM Classic Grey with similar wood and floors to what you have

I highly recommend this article on choosing paint colors

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/the-best-paint-colours-to-go-with-oak-wood/

Mamacita Nikita thanked Katie B.
  • apple_pie_order

This is one of the most popular modern farmhouse kitchen photos with a beige floor on houzz:

Fairfield Modern Farmhouse · More Info

Just add new black hardware to your white painted areas.

This next photo is a modern farmhouse living room with white walls and beige carpet. Again, the hardware (lighting) is black.

Ferguson 2020 · More Info

Mamacita Nikita thanked apple_pie_order
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Get a single basin sink and pulldown faucet. Price Pfister brand is moderately priced, good warranty and has worked well for the past 6 years for me. Don't buy a busy or speckled pattern in the quartz - marble look is very popular.

I hear you about the "budget" carpet color selection. Grays and beiges must be the only things selling for a while - I was looking for something in a light blue or sage green and failed to find it, until I went to a carpet remnant outlet store in my area (if there is one in your area, worth checking out).

Home Depot often has nice "special buys" carpet, displayed on kiosks, in popular neutrals also.

I can't really tell from the photo if the existing tile is a bit grayish or not (? if that is why the grout is gray), and whether "warm" or "cool" toned. (my laptop is just not good at displaying colors from this site accurately). You need to match the color temp. Once you figure that out, it makes choosing carpet & paint much easier.

Simply White is warm, yellow based but still quite white (I have it in my north facing room, and love it, but just know that it is reads as a whiter white). Holding your paint chips against white typing paper will help you to see your undertones - different whites have undertones of blue, gray, yellow, green, even pink. Also, paint stores often have brochures that sort out whites into warm or cool, or displays that sort them by warmth and color family.

If you decide to skip painting the cabinets, I would avoid any tans/beiges on the walls. White or light blues/ greens look good with that wood.

You should probably pick out your carpet first (agree, avoid pinky beige) before paint. I would go for a neutral medium toned beige or a pale warm gray/greige (only if the tile has gray) no hints of other colors. Too light of a carpet will raise fears of showing dirt easily but you want it just light enough to add to the lightness/brightness of the space.

Sorry for all the general advice but not actually seeing the tile, I can't recommend specific colors. Since it is for selling, just make sure all the colors leave the space fresh feeling and work together!

Mamacita Nikita thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • oreolucca1

Sit down with your agent and have her show you the comps and what has sold updated and what has not. There should be pictures that give you a good idea. Your agent should also be able to bring in someone who can help you do some things if you decide too. Have her help you get the most bang for the buck. Good luck.

Mamacita Nikita thanked oreolucca1
  • Donald

Since your real estate agent suggested these improvements, then they should be able to tell you what color views the best as well.

• Mamacita Nikita

Donald, she said gray is still very much desired by buyers in the area. Since we're not changing the tile, I have to go with what looks best with it and that's not gray.

• Mamacita Nikita

oreolucca1, A few of the most recent sales have entirely new kitchens with extended islands and quartz or marble. Most of the sold houses have granite counters that were put in about 10 years ago and for the most recent sale the cabinets were painted white. They don't look very good. Since I have to get new countertops, I'm hoping to find a cabinet/wall/countertop combination that looks good/better with these floors. Not sure on the condition of the cabinets, so I'd like to find colors that would look ok with leaving the cabinets as-is, also.

• Mamacita Nikita

raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio, I have Simply White on most of my walls and love it also. If I go with that, what color countertop? Generic white counters may be too white butting up against Simply White.

• Mamacita Nikita

Beth H., Excellent. Just the advice I'm looking for. Now, what would you suggest if I leave the cabinet color as-is? I have high hopes for the tile steaming. I know it hadn't been done when they bought the house and it's been rented for the past 15 years. If I was nearby, I'd try the Grout Renew.

• Design Girl

if cabinets are in decent shape you can get a bit of the orange out by using Brie wax - I'd also add hardware. This is an interesting read and may be helpful to you. Lot's of great suggestions. https://inbetweenchaos.com/2017/09/29/updating-a-90s-kitchen-without-painting-cabinets/

Mamacita Nikita thanked Design Girl
    Beth H. :

mama, do you think the next buyer is just going to rip everything out and start new?

Or, is this the type of home a first time buyer, lower income is going to buy?

Painting the cabs and having them done correctly can cost 3-5K. I don't know how many you have or what area you're in, or what this home is being listed for.

But, if you're investing 10K to get 15-25 Over that, then do what you have to do. If investing this money is just so it looks good, but the new buyers will rip it out, then I wouldn't bother

as for the wood cabs, hard to tell from the photo. can they be cleaned and polished? can you get some nice hardware (handles, not knobs) and attach those?

the finish looks to have seen better days. you could try a good wood cleaner. doesn't look like you have much of a top coat left. (which is good if you want to paint) you doing it or hiring?

the good thing about painting is your cabs will look brand new. and they're shaker.

BUT, if not done correctly, they'll look like crap. that's why I asked who's doing it

• H202

Don’t listen to all the folks above. I say it frequently on this site: in some markets, you absolutely will make your money back plus some by doing renovations. This is particularly true with some demographics, as you note, like young families or couples who want move in ready because they don’t have the time, inclination or money to do a renovation with a year of moving in. And another poster who said your plan was dumb because she had a friend who was about to buy a place that looked upgraded, until the above poster showed her it was all superficial cheap upgrades.... well, that poster exactly proves the point. Had she not been there, her friend would have bought the place. Most buyers don’t have Houzz patrons trailing them during the open house telling them everything wrong with the upgrades......

All that said, I’d paint the walls a creamy crisp white, and do the counters in a similar crisp cream white. Much like the photo above with the oak cabs. No four inch back splash. Do a cheap backsplash - either the lowest end white subway tile you can get at Home Depot, or if the install cost ends up being too high, look into a stick on back splash. Again, no buyer will ever notice. As to cabinets, if they are in good shape, I would consider leaving them as is. However, your realtor says grey is still hot in your region- which it is in lots of less trendy parts of the country where trends lag by five years (Grey is still hot where I live too), I would consider painting them a very, very light grey. Agree with others - If you don’t paint the cabs, don’t bring in any grey. Hardware depends on the color of the cabs. If you leave them wood, I actually think white appliances are visually nicer. But must entry level buyers want the almighty stainless. But I would be inclined to save $700 by keeping your dishwasher and just replacing the range and fridge. If you replace the range, get a slide in model where the knobs are on the front. Looks higher end. I would take down the blinds too!

Mamacita Nikita thanked H202
  • Mamacita Nikita

Design Girl, That's a great article.

Unfortunately, I'm in a different state or I would definitely try the Brie Wax myself.

Beth H. :

Some ways to save a little money.

countertops. If you want granite, look into some remnants, or a pre-fab. (is that all you have is that sink countertop or is there more across from it? )

Remnants can be found on craigslist, stone yards, or go to a local stone/marble fabricator warehouse and see if they have any longer, thinner pieces left over from cutting a slab. A lot of times they just go in the trash. offer cash for a better deal.

Pre-fabs are all over. If all you have is that straight countertop, get a 9' pre fab, have the sink cutout or stove cut out done onsite, and pay them to install. maybe 1200-1500

Butcher block. Floor and Decor or Ikea carry some nice butcher blocks. With bright white cabs and a simple white subway tile splash, it looks good

you have that nice big window. take off that heavy wood blind and do a roman shade or something. paint the walls a pale oak or a soft white, bright white cabs, dress up any other windows w/white curtains. The key is white, clean and bright. Ignore the island here, but look at the simple wood butcher block w/bright white cabs and walls. would look great.

remember I said to try Pale Oak? where here it is w/this pic^

very similar to your kitchen. copy it.

appliances. Craigslist! people love SS. you can find a SS DW, slightly used on there, for 200. ditto fridge and range. sometimes you luck out and find a floor model or something with a dent you can't even see. i've scored huge w/craigslist.

• Mamacita Nikita

Floor and Decor has 112" x 26" prefab white quartz for around $500 and that's the plan if I keep the cabinets as is. So then I need a wall color that looks good with bright white counters, yellowish maple cabinets and dingy tan tile.

Fridges don't convey in this market. I can get a new stainless GE microwave, range and dishwasher for right around $1000. And stainless is what they want here.

Beth H. :

then go w/that.

Pale Oak is a good neutral.

Or, just paint the walls white. Simply White, Alabaster, etc, are all warm, neutral whites.

but here is Pale Oak and White Dove trim

warmer grays:

this is also Repose Gray:

if keeping the wood cabs, try this one on the walls

Mamacita Nikita thanked Beth H. :
  • Mamacita Nikita

H202, Exactly. 100% agree.

Most people are not handy and have to hire out everything they want done. If we can make this place move-in ready AND look good with minimal investment, why not?

Our previous house had a terrible kitchen. Gold 80's oak cabinets, tile counters with huge grout lines, hodgepodge appliances, bizarre atrium windows, 2 different floors, mauve, mustard and sage green walls (?) My husband and I are very handy so I stained all the cabinets dark and painted the walls greige, he replaced the windows and we spent our money on new quartz counters, cheap subway tile backsplash and floor replacement. It turned out great. If we were local to my mom's house we would do most of the work ourselves.

• Katie B.

I think most people are simply cautioning you not to overimprove or to trust fully realtor advice. It’s a hot market but that could change quickly during these unpredictable times, especially with this Covid BS. In your original post you didn’t mention that it was a rental with broken appliances. That likely would‘ve changed the initial responses you received. Definitely don’t try to sell a house with stains, scuffs, and broken anything. Responses are based on a partial kitchen photo and a single paragraph...only you know the actual condition of the home, the time and money involved in what you’d like to do, and the local market. Do you plan to update the bathrooms and exterior as well? I know your initial question was simply about colors- did you get the info you need?

I actually really love the oak kitchen I posted with the quartz counters and subway tile. I would’ve loved that level of improvement in my starter condo.

Mamacita Nikita thanked Katie B.
  • km kane

Have you spoken to other agents? When I sold my house, I had prices from three agents. One was $450, one was $475 and the last was $525,000. We sold it for $519,000.

• Mamacita Nikita

Katie B.I did specifically ask for color suggestions. Unfortunately, since I'm not there all I have are a few pictures my agent took when the renters left. It wouldn't be classified as a starter home, more of a move-up.I would have included more information if I was looking for real estate advice.

Received some great ideas. Thanks!

• Lisa Dipiro

My brother sells mortgages and we told him we were going to get new rugs before . He said rip the rugs up after you leave, then whatever rug you were going to replace them with leave the samples of colors there so when there is an open house buyers can pick their own color.. i thought it was a great idea

• Mamacita Nikita

Lisa DiPiro, I've got highly visual, non-diy buyers. They will pay more to have it move in ready, even if the finishes aren't super high end.

Your brother is right for people who can look beyond minor issues/houzz readers/savvy buyers.

• Mamacita Nikita

Beth H.

It's a move-up home. Good schools, single level, 5 beds, pool. It's hard to say what the person buying it would do. New laminate counters would probably be ripped out. If I was buying it for myself, I would get rid of the carpet and tile, redo all the floors, then while I was at it, put in a new kitchen. But for a family who might be stretching to buy it...who knows? Also, a lot of sales are to all-cash snowbirds and retirees who've sold in their higher price market and have the money to remodel to their taste. The area rental market is crazy with nothing available. An investor could buy it and rent it out immediately.

The same floorplan on the block behind just went pending Friday for $440K. They have new carpet, quartz counters, painted cabinets, new hardware, otherwise exactly the same house. It makes sense to put in $10K to make it move-in ready.

• Design Girl

@Mamacita Nikita - You have gotten good advice albeit not all the same. One thing I will say is NO ONE can pick a paint color from a computer monitor. Perhaps there is someone in the realtors office who can come into the space and help. A stager maybe? All we can say is that gray would not work well with what seems to be a beige/tan floor.

Mamacita Nikita thanked Design Girl
  • Mamacita Nikita

Design Girl, Agreed! I'm hoping to go out and assess that and the condition of the cabinets, maybe try the Briwax.

Beth H. :

mama, rather than a wax, (in a kitchen that get's warm and greasy) why not look for a wood conditioner? that won't leave any residue. a wax is like, well, wax. a top coat. if it ever comes time to paint put on a diff topcoat, all of that wax will have to be removed w/mineral spirits.

Mamacita Nikita thanked Beth H. :
  • Mamacita Nikita

Beth H. The more I look at the few pictures I have of the kitchen, the more I think I should just have it painted. But, I'll keep that tip in mind in the off chance they are salvageable.

If I go with white cabinets, what color white looks good with generic ice white quartz counters?

On the flipside, if we paint everything- walls and cabinets - BM Simply White, what color counters? Maybe something greige like this?

Simply White is too warm for bright white counters, correct?

Thanks for the feedback!

Hot market? Leave it. Price it right and it will be gone in 2 days.

Clean the house and clean the yard...

No paint color, not counter, no appliances matter to me if I want a house in the right area and I know I may contend with multiple offers.

I want the house. It’s a hot market. I don’t care what color the paint is, or that rugs are gross, or there are sad appliances.

I would make you a cash offer, because I have to compete with the multiple offers you will receive, and add just one contingency, inspection.

Cash offer does not mean I have to go to the bank and take out my life savings. It means I have been pre approved for X amount. If Denita reads my response, she will say that the bank agrees to lend me money based on the value they see in your home.

Beth H. :

mamacita,,,,again, up to you if you think you'll get more money having it painted.

As for paint color, Oxford White is one of the favorites for cabinets. It's a nice bright white without being too warm, yellow, to blue, whatever.

Here, Kylie used them on this redo

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/the-8-best-benjamin-moore-white-paint-colours-undertones-and-more/

Simply White would be next. I just painted mine w/Simply White (it's a lacquer conversion and we used Simply White, or maybe one shade brighter is what I think the painters told me)

Simply White would be fine for any countertop you pick. That and Oxford are the perfect neutrals whites for cabinets.

As for countertops, people like white. Or what about that granite Galaxy White? Or River White? Or Alaska White: I believe this is Alaska white granite and Simply White on the cabs

all of those are very popular granites and all should come in a pre-fab option

She did this one in White Dove. (equal to Alabaster on the SW side) it's a lot 'duller' or warmer

just get a sample of Pale Oak and paint your walls in that color.

Paint the trim in Simply White. Use either that or Oxford for the cabinets.

That's it. done.

no need to keep going back and forth over whites and wall colors. I'm telling you these two will work just fine. just get a sample. or two. (BTW, Light Pewter is another light, warm gray that works well for walls. )

• Mamacita Nikita

Great. Thanks, Beth H.!

• Kate Sartoris

We just bought a house with no renovations and rejected buying a house full of renovations because they weren't our style and we wanted to renovate our way. Renovations aren't necessarily a draw, and depending on the market, totally unnecessary! Good luck!

Mamacita Nikita thanked Kate Sartoris
  • Mamacita Nikita

Kate Sartoris, We did the same. This market is not interested in renovating.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

I wouldn't put Simply White with anything greige. It really is a yellow toned white, and I don't think could work with any shade of gray. But I could see it with bright white - however, the yellow in it might become more noticeable next to bright white. That isn't necessarily a bad thing!

You really need to get yourself to a paint retailer and pull some chips - after you've chosen your counter and carpet. It is much easier to match paint to those elements than vice versa.

Beth H. :

raee_gw Simply White is not yellow. It leans toward the warm side of neutral, (as opposed to a cooler white like Chantilly) but in no way does it appear yellow.

I have it throughout my home w/gray (in my kitchen) and It's on my wall and all of the trim.

please show me the yellow? If you notice the portion of the wall where the lightbulb hits it, it appears yellow. that's because it's a low-light, yellow based bulb. (the canned bulbs are over 4000K) if you have bulbs in your house under 3500K, then any white is going to appear yellow.

• Mamacita Nikita

I had to go check my Simply White and it doesn't even appear yellowish next to a white ceiling and gray tile. On the left is BM Paper White and you can see the greyish tint where it meets the Pure White ceiling. On the right is Simply White; it almost blends in with the ceiling. This is with the blinds open, when they're closed it's even less noticeable. No one has ever noticed the LR has two different colors.

Beth H. :

if you hadn't said they were diff, i wouldn't have noticed! I love simply white.

Mamacita Nikita thanked Beth H. :