seosmp

Leaking toilet bolt - dumb Q

seosmp
last month
last modified: last month

I have a Toto Drake toilet where the tank to bowl bolt is leaking. I know I can buy bolt replacements.

My question is... can I just replace the leaking bolt without removing the entire tank, or do I need to remove the tank (which of course means disconnecting the water supply and both bolts).

Is there some gasket or washer or something between the tank and bowl that needs to be replaced?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last month

Bolts don't leak; gaskets do.

seosmp thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Best Answer
  • ci_lantro
    last month

My question is... can I just replace the leaking bolt without removing the entire tank,

Yes. IF you are sure that only the bolt is leaking. (Did you try to tighten it up a bit?--not too much) The gasket between the tank & the bowl can also be a source of leaks, in which case you might want to replace both the gasket & tank bolts. To do that, you obviously have to remove the tank. Once you have gathered parts & tools, this is a 10-15 minute job, at most.

seosmp thanked ci_lantro
  • seosmp
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you! I believe it’s just the bolt but will double check.

• seosmp
    Original Author
    last month

Ah touche’! Water is dripping from the bolt :)

• catbuilder
    last month

So tighten it.

seosmp thanked catbuilder
  • seosmp
    Original Author
    last month

I can certainly try that but my assumption was that it‘s a leak at the gasket but water Is dripping from the bottom of the bolt. I will try that first! And replace if that doesn’t fix it.

• ci_lantro
    last month
    last modified: last month

If the leak is small, more like a seep, dry everything off really good with a towel or rag and then use a Kleenex to determine where the leak is. The Kleenex will show you small leaks/ seepages that you can't readily feel.

seosmp thanked ci_lantro
  • seosmp
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you! Will do!

• catbuilder
    last month

You said it was leaking at the bolt. Now you say it's leaking at the gasket. Which is it?

• Jeffrey Blank
    last month

I had this on my Toto. A plumber said it was a crack in the porcelain. Not a crack in the tank just the outer part of the porcelain. Battled with Toto to replace the tank. Took a lot of back and forth but they finally paid for it under warranty.

• millworkman
    last month

How would a tank leak of only the porcelain were cracked and not the tank itself?