Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Irresistible Daylilies for Saturday

shive
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have two daylilies with irresistible in the name, and they're both blooming today.

Irresistible You is a new red that has battled thrips for about three weeks. I finally got a clean bloom. Look how different it looks at 7 a.m. and at 10:30 a.m.

Irresistible You, the 7 a.m. shade version - I bought it because of the ruffles and the triangular throat.

Irresistible You at 10:30 a.m. in the sun when the petals have rolled back. I much prefer the round look with the petals rolled back.

So Irresistible has had its best year yet. In the past four seasons it was short, most blooms were splotchy, and it had less than 10 buds. This year it was 26 inches tall with buds ranging from 14-18. All of the blooms were presentable. I'm glad I gave this one a fifth year. It really shaped up.

Angels Bow Down ffo - Last year this one browned and melted before noon on 93-degree days. Yesterday, it kept its color most of the day. The only reason it wasn't sold off was because I didn't have my usual Spring sale out of Covid concerns.

Boundless Beauty

Carolina Cool Down ffo

White Eyes Pink Dragon

Warm in Winter

More to come ...

Debra

Comments (14)

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Strawberry Alarm Clock

Miss Goldie Gold Digger looks like she's scratching her head. LOL

High Water Mark

Debra

• nat4b
    3 years ago

I prefer the 1030am look of Irresistible too. The second Irresistible is a beauty! Angels Bow Down ffo looks good. Majority of my flowers melt before noon unfortunately, except some in mostly shade. Somebody said they wanted to come look at flowers in the late afternoon tomorrow, I told them earlier is better but that's when they can come, so I'll take it. It's sooo hot and humid here..

Again picking Bountless Beauty, well named. And Strawberry Alarm Clock, nice color. Hahaha that pic of Miss Goldie )))

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

I’m with you and Nat, I prefer the 10:30 version of Irresistible also. Angels Bow Down is lovely, I had to move my Bluegrass Memories out of all day sun because it melted, it’s doing well with a bit more shade. It’s always good here when I discover a daylily that blooms in A less than ideal spot.

Sherry

• lilykate7a
    3 years ago

Beautiful Boundless Beauty! As is So Irresistible!! Strawberry Alarm Clock-have you posted that one previously? I don’t remember it. And I had been wondering about Carolina Cool Down.

• organic_kitten
    3 years ago

This is such a pretty post! I like both versions of Irresistible! Angels Bow Down is beautiful and what a gorgeous clump of White Eyes Pink Dragon! Iam so glad you posted High ?Water Mar since it is on the way to me, Boundless Beauty is a lovely clump! So pretty, Debra.

kay

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Nat and Sherry - While it's true a lot of daylilies melt in the 90s, they don't normally melt in the 80s. But Angels Bow Down did last year.

Kate - I don't think I've posted a photo of Strawberry Alarm Clock this year. It's another late morning opener that seldom gets photographed. Last year was the first year for it to bloom. I know I posted at least one photo of it last season.

Kay - I think you will like HIgh Water Mark. It's much lighter in color here than it is for our northern friends, Laura and Julia. It like it because it sets pods for me in the heat.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago

Much prefer the 10:30 form on Irresistible You also.......I think maybe it's the form, but Boundless Beauty looks marvelous. And also, meant to say on another post that your white seedling (inimitable or something) is another one I like looking at....I always enjoy seeing White Eyes, Pink Dragon.......My Miss Goldie is blooming now too. It was 97 degrees, excessively humid yesterday and she failed the colorfast test in mid PM. Not horribly, but the middle of her petals bleached out to white. She does have her limits apparently................Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maryl - Boundless Beauty loves the heat, and it doesn't have that great form unless temps are in the 90s. My Miss Goldie gets morning shade until about 10 and then gets an hour of shade from 3 to 4, so I don't notice it losing the gold color. But we were only 93 today, instead of your 97, and the humidity after 1 p.m. was not bad.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago

I think you and I agree (and may have discovered something) that over 95 degrees all bets are off. If a daylily encounters above 95 temperatures and is still a recognizable color with form, it truly is remarkable. Miss Goldie was in PM shade after 3:00 so her bleaching didn't occur even in full sun and she had been fairly colorfast up until it went over 95. By contrast I was amazed at those that still hadn't bleached out to total white by say 7PM at 97 degrees. Your Dearest Valentine for instance was a sort of Lt. medium pink and looked pretty good to me.
    More testing will follow of course, as it still has buds and we are still hot.........Maryl

• Nancy 6b
    3 years ago

So Irresistable is lovely. still liking Warm in Winter as well as White Eyes Pink Dragon!

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maryl - Glad to hear Dearest Val still had some pink at the end of the day! By the way, on 93 and 94 degree days All of My Love to you still has purple color - lighter color but the blooms still look presentable. I have it planted near Mary's Baby, and they hold up almost equally well. I checked other purples you asked about last year: Lydia's Royal Robe holds up as well as Mary's Baby. Purple Passion's Promise fades more than Mary's Baby but holds some color. Nordic Soul gets shade after 3 p.m., and fades more than the other three.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Nancy - I've been amazed by So Irresistible this season. But I can't help wondering why it took five years to shape up. Warm in Winter has prettier colors after the night temps. I don't like it quite as well in the heat. Normally it will be an extra early bloomer and flower at the same time as most of my patterns. White Eyes Pink Dragon makes a great clump. I have issues with it because it won't set pods. I need to move a couple of fans to part shade next year to see if that will keep pods from aborting. It has so many kids listed in registrations, so I know it's capable of producing pods. Neon Flamingo is even worse as a pod parent, by the way. Bah humbug!

Debra

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    3 years ago

Love those clump shots of Boundless Beauty and WEPD! And Warm In Winter is looking great. My WIW should have it's FFE in the next day or two, I think.

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Laura - I'm looking forward to seeing what your WIW looks like. I tried to cross it with every patterned eye I had, and I don't think any of the crosses took. It was too hot. I have one more bud left.

Debra