Can I use Quartzite as a backsplash to give my slab the length to go s

HU-89935035

I am 1 1/2 inches short on my slab in order to use the entire slab to be seamless. It is 3cm thickness. I thought if they make a 5 inch backsplash and install that first, that'll give us the length we need in order for the slab to be seamless, except at the backsplash where we can caulk it or whatever is used for seams? The slabs are 115 x 77 and our peninsulas (2 of them) are 116 and a half X 53 for one side and 49 on the other..??

• live_wire_oak

Past your layout. It’s usually the length that’s the issue rather than the width. But no. The splash goes on top of the counter. And not doing it at all would be a better option.

HU-89935035 thanked live_wire_oak
    Joseph Corlett, LLC

Replace your sink with an apron front and two 5" seams. I just added three feet to your slab.

HU-89935035 thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC

Backsplash tile for Princess White Quartzite countertops

You've nailed it! At least in your pictures. Wait until your counters are installed and then get actual samples of your Winchester tiles to prop up at right angles to the counter. Then you'll know for sure. The counters are spectacular.

backsplash help with wicked white quartzite!

Mine is mitered which means basically it’s made to look thick because they mitre a thicker edge onto the perimeter. In reality it’s a 3mm slab made to look thicker. My wicked white is very very soft. Mugs, bowls, glass vases scratch it up very easily. I assume it etches based on what I have read since but I haven’t tested it and I baby it, place placemats all around and basically treat it like marble, which it is. I could go on and on. It’s beautiful but too much work. How is yours working out? Like Super white, some have had no issues and many have had nothing but trouble. Hopefully your Wicked White is working out.

Give me Back Splash ideas!

you both got some amazing slabs. I thought it was Delicatus, but I've never seen those green quartz deposits like that. what name do they call that? just know that they may have filled some of those parts with a clear resin to even them out w/the rest of the surface.

Does anyone have pics of a marble slab backsplash with ubatuba counter

The layout in the sketch you posted is rather inefficient and would be quite frustrating to use. The dishwasher appears to be at the prep sink, not the dish sink. The refrigerator is very far from the main sink and stove and you have to walk around the island to get to it. . Both the refrigerator and oven block doorways when open, and your back would be against cabinet/counter when accessing the oven. The refrigerator is abutting a wall and the filler strip appears so narrow you need to check the specs and make sure you soil open the door all the way and open drawers. The island appears so deep you couldn’t actually reach the middle of it.

Ok, I will upload a pic of where I'm thinking i could add the backsplash to give me the length i need for the peninsulas to be

The backsplash would go against that back wall in order to give me the length. I was thinking of using the same quartzite 5" in height along the bottom of windows as a backsplash and the length would be the width of the peninsulas then butt the slabs against the backsplash.to give me the extra 1 1/2 inches I need to end the peninsula in a waterfall finsih...I hope I'm describing my intentions clear enough?

• chispa

Skip the waterfall, unless your house is a slick modern Miami house/condo.

What kind of seam are you expecting at the waterfall joint? There was a post a few days ago with an awful looking quartzite waterfall seam.

Found it:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/kitchens/p/120

this is the layout..the stove will go in the middle and the 2 peninsulas will end in a waterfall finish..that's why I was thinking of putting the same quartzite as a backsplash first to give me the extra inch and a half that I need...???

WOW..that was not acceptable either....what I'd like is an angled waterfall..like at a 45 degree angle

• mama goose_gw zn6OH

I have no opinion on whether or not you should do a waterfall edge,
    but it seems that you could use a piece of wood the same thickness as
    the stone, and almost as wide, against the wall (brown block). Butt the
    slab up to it, maybe leaving a tiny gap for expansion. Install the 4"
    backsplash on top of the wood, then caulk. You would need a piece on the
    very end of the splash, to cover the wood block. (Cut the wood piece
    short of the edge of the countertop.) Or, you could cut the
    backsplash piece with a 'tooth' to fit over the wood filler piece.You
    might also need to screw wood pieces across the width of wider
    cabinets, to support the stone at the back of the cabinets (tan block).

After seeing pics of some of the seams and cuts fabricators try to pass off on consumers, maybe that would just be asking for trouble.

OMG!!!..this is brilliant!!!..when I show my husband, I think he'll be able to do this with the fabricator on board...what do you think of water fall at a 45 degree angle with the quartzite..do you think it would come out good? Or is quartzite too finicky?

• A S

This is our waterfall seam. ❤️ it.

• Design Girl

Looking at mama gooses drawing I get it - What I don't get is why your original thought wouldn't work with a lot less trouble. I think what you said was to set the backsplash on the actual cabinet (moving it down to fill in mama gooses brown block, and then butt the counter up to that. That seems easier to me (if I'm understanding this correctly).

• live_wire_oak

The wood kludge simply is not going to work. Stone work has certain parameters, and you cannot join dissimilar expansion rated materials like that and expect success. You exceeded the parameters with the design. Make your peninsulas shorter. Or a different material.

NONE of your seams will match in quartz with movement. Please have that expectation if you move forward. You’re designing in problems that do not need to exist.

HU-89935035 thanked live_wire_oak
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH

If the wood won't work, HU-----35, ask your fabricator if he has remnants the same thickness as your stone, which should expand at the same rate. He might be able to cut lengths of stone to replace the wood filler pieces in my drawing. If the seam where the filler piece and stone slab is filled prior to installation of the backsplash, there will be less chance of water using the seam as a channel to the cabinets. Which is the only reason I can think of that HU----35's original idea wouldn't work--water getting through the caulk line and running down the backsplash piece. I would imagine that every cut and every seam will add to the final cost, so although I think this should work, will it be worth it just for the waterfall? Also, as I mentioned before, we see complaints about a lot of imprecise cuts, where counters don't match contours of walls, and these cuts would need to be exact to get the length you need for the waterfall edge.

You would need to have a serious talk with your fabricator, about whether your chosen stone can be cut at 45 degree angle without chipping and cracking.

• chispa

I'm seeing quartz and quartzite being used interchangeably in some of the replies ...

quartz = man made

quartzite = natural stone

The material is quartzite..I'm a little lost about the water issue..???..on that wall there is no sink..only countertops on both sides and the stove in the

Thank you all for all your input..I'm thinking I have no choice but to have a seam on each side of the peninsulas. We have 4 slabs so the fabricator will have to follow the pattern as best as can be done and just turn 1 slab around and go across 55" wide x 24" depth and then use the other slabs. It'll be seamless on the largest portion of counter top which is 55x 92

• Design Girl

@HU-89935035 - As I understand it now, I think the reason to first put down the counter, and then the backsplash is if there is any penetration from water - even a spill - it will not travel down to the cabinet - If you put the backsplash in first, and then butt the counter top up to it, the only material that will stop any water is the caulk. Makes sense to me now. Will it help if you don't do the waterfall edge? As stated before, it can be tricky to accomplish correctly, and if it would help to have a regular counter, I'd forget the waterfall. FWIW - I only see them done now in very very modern/minimalist spaces.

Thanks again...how about this?..make a 5" border or strip starting from the wall and make and seam the quartzite with the slab at that end of the counter. This will give me the lenghth I need whether I do waterfall or not (which we may consider to abort) loll..this means the right peninsula would have 2 seams ...one going across bc I need pattern matching and one coming fr wall 18"W X 25" length bc I'd hv to start the other slab at the end of the 1st cabinet that's closest to the oven...the left peninsula would have only the top seam going across...this way both countertops would be seamless except for where I joined them at the top?...my goal and concern is following the flow of the quartzite and putting the seam in the least exposed area....??? This whole drama stems from not being able to find at least 2 slabs that were approximately 88 or bigger by 120 in our color ...the only other option is to only have like a 6" over hang for the right peninsula, and just the seam across at the top..the left peninsula is not as wide ..

The orange level shows where the 25" seam will be and the tape measure shows the 85" length of where the other seam will be on the right peninsula

The left peninsula will only have that seam across ...I am hoping this can be done..even if we need to reinforce the open spaces with plywood like that first cabinet has in order to do this..this way the major part of the counter top will be seamless

• Design Girl

Yikes - I wouldn't do that.

HU-89935035 thanked Design Girl
  • A S

In finding it hard to visualize your plan but it kind of looks like a letter C with angles? If so, I would either want to opposite L shaped pieces of material that meet to create one seam only or two seams total.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH

Any chance you could replace the cabinet on the end of each run with a narrower cabinet, so that you would have sufficient stone to make the waterfall or overhang?

Design girl..why do you not agree with the cut???...

• live_wire_oak

Even 4 slabs of quartz are not enough to make that kitchen counter design come out well. 😬 Not unless there’s no movement.

AS - I am approx 1 1/2 " short on length and in the pic I posted, I would start the 2and slab after the 1st 18" cabinet in order to keep the pattern...I cannot for the life if me picture the slab turned sideways and able to match the pattern which would just give me 1 seam straight across...I just cannot see how my pattern would flow if the stone needed to be turned to where it's 115 across

• A S

What quartzite did you choose? Ours is quartz but has no movement. So that helps. We also chose everything to avoid there being a seam...

• Design Girl

I just think a 5 inch seam across the back is really going to look bad. I have to say, i'd rather remake the cabinets than do this. Is this all because of the waterfall edge - if it is, give that up.

Joseph Corlett, LLC

HU:

If you were a potential customer of mine, you'd be scaring me because you're venturing wayyy to far into "how" for my comfort. Were I your fabricator, I may give you choice "A" or choice "B", but no way would you be placing seams.

Sure, you're writing the check, but my name's on this thing for eternity. You can have your check back if I don't like your seam ideas. I predict trouble for this fabricator unless he puts this pony in her pen.

Lolll...I'm really not trying to be difficult.. I'm just trying to see if anything can be done with the less seams possible and in the most inconspicuous areas...

Design girl...the issue is not the waterfall at all...but probably the movement in the slab...and trying to put a seam in the least visual space so the majority of the slab is seamless...redoing the cabinets brings more complications like redoing the floor....the biggest thing is we could not find slabs long or wide