Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arl06190806

Cabinet color to go with black kitchen countertops

ARLinNYC
3 years ago

We are getting the cabinets refinished and hardware changed. Not changing the countertop which appears to be some sort of black granite. We do plan to change the backsplash at some point. The window treatment has been changed to a white solar shade. Should we keep the cabinets white or pick a shade of light gray? Any other suggestions? thoughts on changing the hardware to brass?

Comments (11)

• megs1030
    3 years ago

No gray cabinets, that trend is on it's way out. I think brass would look great, go buy one at your local hardware store and bring it home to try out before purchasing a whole bunch.

• chloe00s
    3 years ago

White cabinets are okay. What I ‘m not crazy about are the white square tile floor and the backsplash. Both look dated, and in spite of the black counters, the kitchen looks almost too white. Maybe a gray floor in a more updated 12 x 24 tile and backsplash that brings in the gray. Gray and white herringbone backsplash looks great with black counters and white cabinets and a gray floor. I wouldn’t go with brass hardware, though. This looks to be a smaller galley kitchen. Since the appliances are stainless, I’d stick with a matte nickel look.

• ARLinNYC
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@chloe00s

Thanks for the ideas. i would LOVE to change the floors and backsplash. Unfortunately we don’t have the budget to do much else right now but hopefully down the road. We do have to get the cabinets refinished bc it’s chipping. So it sounds like you think keeping them white would go best with the black countertop. What color would i get the walls painted then? Light gray? Not pictured is a banquette that has a charcoal gray sunbrella upholstery.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Make sure all that lighting is LED 4000K before choosing anything else.

• ARLinNYC
    Original Author
    3 years ago
  • chloe00s
    3 years ago

Go ahead and repaint the cabinets white, a

, and I would do

• chloe00s
    3 years ago

Sorry, the first post got away from me! Go ahead and paint the cabinets white and I would paint the walls in a very light gray. But first follow the suggestion above and make sure your LEDs are 4000K or 5000K - which is truer “daylight” color. Then try some samples of paint. Warm white LEDs in the low range make whites turn yellowish. Grays can look very different depending on the light. It took me several tries with sample paint to find a light gray that didn’t turn purple in my north-facing kitchen.

4000K is between "warm white" (2700K/3000K) and "daylight white" (5000K). It is also the color temperature of direct sunlight during morning or afternoon hours.

• ARLinNYC
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We are almost ready to make a decision with BM Simply White or Oxford White for the cabinets and Wickham Gray for the walls. For the hardware I am in between polished chrome and polished nickel? thoughts? East facing kitchen

• Dana
    3 years ago

Amanda, have you considered ordering 12x12 samples of the paint so you can see how it looks in the light? I'm in the same place as you choosing all these colors! It's going to be beautiful!

• megs1030
    3 years ago

I would prefer cabinet hardware in Champagne Bronze or Honey bronze, depending on the manufacturer. With the white cabs, white floors and black countertops, I think chrome and nickel will look cold. The bronze / brushed brass will help to warm things up. Just my opinion.