Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lysajones

Should granite match if visible from one room to another

lysajones
3 years ago

I have done a similar post to this; but, wanted to specifically ask about the matching of the granite. Previously, the response was to use the same granite and that is what we have ordered. But, we keep going back/forth on if we are making the right decision. We do love this granite (it is a honed silver grey) and how the bar turned out, but, want to make sure we are not going to end up with too much of a good thing, if that makes sense. We are very laid back and casual with our style. The rooms are not open concept but are visible when standing in them as you can see in the picture below. We are adding a peninsula in the kitchen to add counter space and will put shiplap around it and up that wall which should compliment what we have at the bar. Also, our living room is connected to the dining room, we installed grey marble surround, with black honed hearth, so it compliments nicely with the dry bar. Because the spaces are not very big, we think the flow of color and feel is important. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Note: the other granite we have considered and also loved is Thunder White which is a polished light flowing granite with white, grey & red dots. I'm just concerned it would vary too much from our space and this is a one-time decision we cannot mess up.

Comments (9)

• Kate
    3 years ago

I think they are separate rooms, so get the stone that works in the room best. You don’t need to match your kitchen counter with your bathroom do you?

• anj_p
    3 years ago

Agree with Kate. We have a small granite slab on a cabinet in our mudroom, just off our kitchen, and it's a white granite while our kitchen is really dark. Also - there are plenty of kitchens where different granites are used in the same room (counters & island), so I don't see why it would matter if you use a different granite in a different room.

• lysajones
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for your reply. No, i never felt like I had to match a room that was not in close proximity. So, bathrooms are separate. In this case because the kitchen, dining, and living rooms are so close and visible to one another is why I'm considerate of the decision for consistency.

• Sammie J
    3 years ago

From the images, it doesn't seem like it would matter....I would try to complement the two, tho.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

Your bar cabinets are white and the current granite looks great. I'm not sure I would like that granite with what seems to be wooden cabinets in your kitchen. I think I'd like a brighter color there to lighten things up.

• lysajones
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks. We r in the process of painting cabinets white. This is just a before picture since we r not done yet.

• Lala
    3 years ago

They do not need to match even if in the same room, but as Sammie J said, they do need to be complementary.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

Matching granite in contiguous spaces works for me because I may also use the same paint or color scheme. A bathroom is generally not visible from a kitchen or family room, so I am free to try some other granite and even a different color scheme in the bathrooms.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

I really like felizladys explanation because it shows that even in one room you can have different, but coordinating countertops. go for a different one if it works and coordinates with the others. I think many times people just want to make the decision easier so they use the same throughout different spaces.