lulu828

Native landscaping on steep slope - Northern Virginia 7a full sun

lulu828
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

I'm on the grounds committee of our neighborhoods HOA & we're looking to add some groundcover, shrubs or trees to this steep hillside. Currently its all grass that gets rutted out by the landscaping mowers because it's so steep. It would be nice to reduce the amount of grass so we don't need to send mowers up there, and add low maintenance or beneficial/native plants for pollinators & wildlife that would thrive in hard afternoon sun and enhance the look of our community. Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated!

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

For a 10 or 15' strip along the road, use a low-growing, sun tolerant groundcover, like 'Blue pacific' or 'Blue rug' juniper ... or whatever people are using and does well in your locale. Beyond the strip near the road, you could have the slope hydroseeded with Lespedeza. For shady areas you'd use a different groundcover, of course. I don't know if it's OK to use there, but my personal favorite for large scale shady areas would be English ivy. If you want to hunt specifically for natives, do some Googling for sun (or shade) groundcovers.

• lisanti07028
    4 months ago

Willows! There are many native willows that don't get much over 12', and the bees love them to pieces; they are also the larval food for lots of moths and butterflies. Find your native plant society website and see what they recommend. You've got a nice piece of land for natives there, and there are many natives that are lovely as well as kind to the planet.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    4 months ago

Little Henry Sweetspire & dwarf Abelia work well on slopes.