Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kipnwanda

Any suggestions for a color we should paint our front doors?

WE HeadyArt
3 years ago

We recently had our house painted, using SW Intellectual Gray for the base and SW Amazing Gray for the trim. The interior of our home is SW Worldly Gray (thanks to HIWE). We are thinking of SW Urbane Bronze for the doors. What color do you think? Thanks

Comments (70)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

• SapphireStitch
    3 years ago

@WE HeadyArt I agree that if monochromatic color schemes make you happy then black is the way to go!

Would you consider painting or replacing your house numbers to match the black door and adding an element or two of black elsewhere around the entry? Could be a planter or art piece. I see you have some black Mondo grass (if I’m remembering the name right) in the planting bed, so that’s a good tie-in. I read somewhere a few years ago that an entryway usually looks more cohesive if the door color is repeated somewhere in the surroundings. It doesn’t have to be blatant (“My door is red and here are six pots of red flowers!”) :) but the eye will subconsciously pick up the connected elements and it will be more pleasing.

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The house numbers are new and subtle? How about if I paint the pot under the numbers black?

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

SapphireStitch I could paint the house numbers black. Which would you do, the pot below it or the house numbers painted black?

• Yayagal
    3 years ago

Aubergine is beautiful with gray. Here's an example.

Ten Best Front Door Colours for your House | Maria Killam | True Colour Expert · More Info

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yayagal
    What brand is that? Seems all my mock-ups on SW come out lighter than the paint colors I choose. Raisen is darker than it shows in pic..... argh

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

One of the reasons I hesitate (although like purples) is that some years ago our doors were painted Roaming Pony.

• SapphireStitch
    3 years ago

@WE HeadyArt I'm not a pro, just an opinionated amateur. :) But the numbers seemed the first logical place to start because I assume that if you have numbers on the house you want them to be clearly visible for EMS or delivery services. If you have clearly visible numbers posted somewhere else on your property and these are just there for some other reason, then that changes the equation.

You could certainly paint the pot black instead of the numbers, or you could do both. Or you could ignore the idea of repeating the color and let the doors stand on their own. Ultimately you've got to do what looks good to you...you want to drive or walk up to your house and feel happy when you see it.

Remember you don't have to have doors that stand out just because that's the current fashion and people here are suggesting colors. If you feel more comfortable with a something that blends in you should be true to your own aesthetic.

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! I can see that it would look more connected if the door matched with something else besides black mondo grass. Isn’t this fun? I like when others “see” something I don’t.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

I think one of these would be beautiful....

Valspar..Deep Violet Black

Glidden.....Black Flame

and Black always looks great!

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you HIWE!

• Sofia
    3 years ago

Love your paint colors! And your sidelights look beautiful! Would you mind sharing what you used?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

WE your front porch pots are just fabulous! Love the look...Do you like green! I love the color called“ Black Forest “ it is a Benjamin Moore color.

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sofia
    I think what you are seeing are the glass blocks on either side of the doors. They are from a dismantled roundhouse. (RR)

• Joan O'Brien
    3 years ago

I like a charcoal similar colour to the rocks in the bed, perhaps, SWvIron Ore.

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

A couple of colors. What do you think? Left is Valspar “Black Flame” and right Is Behr “Black Violet”.

• cawaps
    3 years ago

I really like the Black Flame in the close-up photo but it looks quite blue in the further away photo. The other pretty much reads black to me (which everyone seemed to like, so maybe that's fine, but from the name I wanted to be able to see the purple).What about Behr Black Elegance on the redder side of purple?

• Joan O'Brien
    3 years ago

Either would look great, Black Violet appears more classic, Black Flame more trendy, IMO.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Wow I really like both colors but that Black Violet is fabulous!...It will give the classic look of black but have that rich deep tone of purple when you approach the entry it really is a beautiful color!

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

To me it has a reddish/garnet cast. Wondering if Valspar Deep-Violet Black would be a better color than Behr Black Violet. If we can get someone to actually mix a sample. Lowe’s said they don’t have deep-violet black!

• Natalie Marie
    3 years ago

Black for the win!

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is another color SW Darkroom on the right.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

What is far left?

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Far left is Black Flame, looks like a lavender

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Left

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Don’t want to confuse you but what do you think of going more towards a blue?

• PRO
  • WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Not fond of blue. Husband likes black violet (Behr), I like the softer Darkroom (SW). Or maybe black? Haven’t tried a sample yet. Do you think the door needs a deeper, richer color (like black violet)?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

I would do the black violet it really is a fabulous color!

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

HIWE
    So you would do the deeper, richer color for our house color SW Intellectual Gray? My mind is on the bridal shower I attended yesterday for my grandsons fiancé. What a beautiful day. I was one of just a few wearing a mask because I’m mildly paranoid about all this. Of course most guests were in their 20’s. She’s a doll with her mother and sister. She’s a nurse in AZ and very careful. I guess that was supposed to make me feel better? Anyway happy belated birthday to you and thank you for advising me.

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Down to two colors

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Wow it looks like a fun and beautiful party..but I would have been a wreak with worry..this Covid is spread so easily spread and unfortunately it is the young ones with no symptoms that are spreading it..so glad to hear you wore a mask!

After admiring your pots out front I see so much blue/in them..that is why I suggested the grey blue color..do you see it or is it just the lighting?

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes I was stressed! Yes I can see why you suggested grey blue. The pots show more grey, maybe a tad bluish where light color is brushed over the grey. Blue or green not our fav color. It’s confusing, still. I’ll try and mock up those colors.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

No worries you will find the perfect color..you could just do a dark charcoal grey..so many to choose from

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

SW has a color called peppercorn one of my fav grey paint colors I used it on my daughters builtin bookcases..

Maggie and David · More Info

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh that’s really nice too. Hubby will get a sample of it or maybe tricorn black. Thinking out loud that they may be too conservative....the black violet is stunning and different. Hmm

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Here is Peppercorn on front door with grey house....

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Now I’ve found a color I like. SW Darkroom 7083?

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Would someone compare SW Darkroom and Behr Black Violet? We are buying paint TODAY🥺

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We chose SW Darkroom 7083, will post pics later!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Can’t wait to see it....leans more brown purple

• kiffkat
    3 years ago

I think it’s going to look great! Here’s a front door painted in SW Darkroom 7083.

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

kiffkat
    Thank you! Hubby and I went round and round deciding on the color. I liked the sample because it seemed more ‘earthy’.

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

HIWE
    hubby said if we didn’t think it was bold enough we could do ‘black violet’ next year. That was his choice. Omg hope this is stunning.....enough. Thanks so much for helping with the many choices!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

I am sure it will be just fine...any deeper richer color will bring a bit of contrast and look great.

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ta dah, all done and we love the color!

• SapphireStitch
    3 years ago

@WE HeadyArt Oooh...it's lovely!!

• jill sharp
    last year

I love your exterior cladding!! Would you be able to share what the material is? Thank you... gorgeous home 😍

• Kay
    last year

Love this! What finish is this? Looks satin or semi-flat?

• WE HeadyArt
    Original Author
    last year

Ta dah, all done and we love the color!
    Our exterior wood is cedar and the front doors paint are matte.