publickman

Foodsaver jar sealer attachments discontinued

Lars

I'm not sure they are discontinued, but I cannot find them anywhere. I saw them on eBay for $58, which is a ridiculous price. I already have one set, but I wanted to keep an additional set in Cathedral City, but I guess I'll have to just take them back and forth from Los Angeles.

I ordered (and received) an additional FoodSaver FM2435, as it works with the hoses that I have, and so I have two of these machines. I had to buy the second one from a third party seller, and so this model might be discontinued as well.

Any other ideas for vacuum sealing jars?

• Kim G

If you go to foodsaver.com they still have the regular sealer listed for sale. They don’t have the wide mouth dealer showing available. Regular Jar Sealer

Lars thanked Kim G
  • Jim Mat

I am not sure how to proceed, but I have a set of food saver jars, 3 jars, 3 lids.

Unused, still packaged. If you want them, they are available, free.

Lars thanked Jim Mat
  • Lars

Kim, while your link says that Foodsaver.com has the item in stock (unlike the wide mouth jar sealer), it will not take my order, and so I am guessing that they do not have it in inventory either😞. Thanks for trying!

Jim, thanks for your offer as well, but I do not need jars or lids - I just need the Foodsaver attachment that goes over the jar and lid and connects to the hose. I'm not sure what Foodsaver jars are - do their lids connect to the hose attachment? If so, then I could use them, I think.

• Sherry

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/small-appliances/dehydrators/6346456

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/small-

appliances/dehydrators/6346456

These are not in the set, but look to be what you are looking for. I have ordered from Ace Hardware before without a problem.

• Jim Mat

Looks like I have one hose, in package, unused. Free.

Maybe I don’t understand what are you looking for. I food saver jars, and one tube with connectors.

Maybe you are looking for an adapter to use non food saver jars.

Lars thanked Jim Mat
  • beesneeds

Dang, I was just at the store earlier today- and I almost always hit the food saver area to see if the plastic is on sale. I thought it a bit odd that the only kind of main sealer unit available on the shelf was the smaller one that only fits 8" bags. My current sealer does up to 11" plastic, but it's getting a bit older and fussier- and thought the smaller unit was on sale, I don't really want a 8" sealer.

I didn't even think of checking to see what other stuff they had since I already have both the standard and wide mouth sealer attachment. Maybe I should have checked.

A couple weeks back I had to stop at the local hardware store and they still had the older 11" style main unit and some of the accessories. So local hardware stores might be hit or miss for if they have the sealer attachments or not.

Lars thanked beesneeds
  • Kim G

Lars - they have a live chat on the website You might try using that to inquire. They do note that several items are not in stock. I am sure like anything else to do with food preservation - food saver has had quite a run due to COVID 19. I would expect them to get more in eventually. Doesn’t appear that the regular one is discontinued. Good Luck!!

Lars thanked Kim G
  • sherri1058

I was able to get the wide mouth sealer just this past week after it being unavailable for months. According to the FoodSaver website "Thank you for asking us out! We appreciate your patience as we are
    diligently working on replenishing our stock. We do not have a firm date
    as to when this item will be available."

I think it is another Covid problem with supply and demand and production. I'm still trying to get the standard size one, so good luck to both of us!

Lars thanked sherri1058
  • Lars

Sherry, I've ordered from Ace Hardware before too, but for this product, I can never get past the first page - the little timer just keeps going and going and never takes me anywhere.

I guess I will have to wait for more inventory. It sounds like it is not in inventory now, and that could be a Covid problem. I'm still having trouble finding whole wheat flour in the grocery store, but at least I have a good supply of yeast.

I do think there was a run on Foodsaver products, which is why some models are hard to find. At first I thought they may have been discontinued, but now I just think that there are shortages. Strange times.

Jim Mat, are you able to send me a message here? If so, I will send you my mailing address.

• Sherry

Okay, I got through, but it is out of stock online. They said to check with the stores directly. I guess it is the same as the great toilet paper caper. And yeast. And soon to be Lysol after the news today.

Lars thanked Sherry
  • Jim Mat

email sent

Lars thanked Jim Mat
  • beesneeds

I hesitate on this.. but could it be there is also some import issues with this sort of thing too? Overseas trades slowed down a bit recently, so some products are falling off the shelf without the usual replenishment we are used to.

Lars thanked beesneeds
  • Jim Mat

My food saver things were made in China.

Lars thanked Jim Mat
  • plllog

I had the same issue trying to get a new KA dough hook. Amazon had one expected to arrive this month. I'm not holding my breath. :) Did you try eBay?

Lars thanked plllog
  • Cloud Swift

Lars, I hope you are able to get one. I've got a similar issue but it's with getting a new oven. It may be weeks before the model we want becomes available.

Lars thanked Cloud Swift
  • Lars

Plllog, my original post mentions that I found one on eBay for $58 (plus shipping), which is about triple the normal price. Others for sale on eBay are even more expensive.

• Lars

Thanks Jim! I received your email, but the message part did not show up. I look forward to hearing from you again.

• Rusty

Lars, if you have the hose for the Food Saver, you can seal jars without the lid attachment (not sure of proper name for it).

Punch a SMALL hole in the center of the lid (a thumb tack works great for this). Put a small piece of electrical tape loosely over the hole. Put the lid on the jar and put the FS hose over the hole. And seal the jar. I usually soften the rubber on the jar lid in very hot water for a minute or so, then dry well and put the tape on. I also use a new piece of tape any time i reseal the jar, but I don't know if that is necessary or not. It's such a small piece it's not much of an expense.

Perhaps this method will work for you while you're locating a set of the sealing attachments. I haven't used my jar attachment since I learned this method.

I know I don't always explain things very well, so if this doesn't make sense, I'll take some pictures to post.

Rusty

Lars thanked Rusty
  • Rusty

I found this website, makes it pretty clear. I use regular canning lids, but without the ring. Hadn't thought to use 'recycled' jars and lids. Good idea!

Pin hole sealing jars.

Good luck!

Rusty

Lars thanked Rusty
  • plllog

Sorry, Lars. I've been a bit loopy recently and forgot what you'd said up top by the time I replied.

Rusty's method is interesting and reminded me of some jar sealing threads I read in GWCF many years ago, with interesting approaches. I have a hazy memory of someone setting up a sealing chamber to use with the basic hose.

Lars thanked plllog
  • Sherry

Now you have got me wanting some jar sealers. Do they really help keep lettuce? Iceburg doesn't last but a day or so for me and that is the lettuce my husband likes.

Lars thanked Sherry
  • Lars

Thanks, Rusty - that link did help because I thought you were supposed to make a pin prick in the tape! I'll have to try that method, as I do have a hand pump, although I have not used it much.

I go through lettuce before it goes bad, but I never buy Iceberg lettuce. I wonder if this method would work with mushrooms.

• beesneeds

Keep your mushrooms in a brown paper bag- they need a little breathing, and go to ick more quickly sealed up. Don't forget they are a moist fungus :)

Be careful trying to use used lids. Sounds great to recycle, and Ive attempted it in the past.. but used lids can have warping that makes getting a vacuum seal a PITA.

If you are willing to hand pump, there's still stuff like this available: https://www.amazon.com/4-Pack-Fermentation-Extractor-Mouth-Mason/dp/B0772FXZMR/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Mason+Jar+Vacuum+Pump&qid=1594331299&s=home-garden&sr=1-3

• Rusty

I haven't tried a hand pump, do they work pretty good? I'm wondering if it would be easier than using the regular Foodsaver. Would be quieter, for sure.

Plllog, do you remember 'Mustangs'? I think her name was Kathy, but I could be mistaken on that, she lives in Florida, her husband was an athletic coach, I forget which sport. Anyhow she had posted something about 'pinhole' jar sealing, a number of years ago, 5 or 6 maybe more. That's what got me started on that method. And I've never looked back.

ETA: Sherry, I don't use iceberg lettuce, but the jars will keep the mixed spring greens up to 10 days.

Lars, I haven't tried mushrooms, But I think I will next time I have some.

Rusty

• Sherry

What do y seal? Any of you!

• beesneeds

In jars specifically? A lot of dry goods I keep on the shelf that I don't necessarily want to use bags with- I tend to spend bags on freezer stuff. Rice being an exception, rice stores better in bags IMO.

So, lots of dehydrated veggies, from tomatoes and peppers to mushrooms and peas. Shredded sweet potato and diced up mire poix stuff. Dehydrated citrus and cucumber slices for year round yum. Dried herbs that crush too easily in bag sealing. Bread crumbs and stuffing cubes... dehydrated pasta. Yep, I cook and dehydrate some pasta, it's right handy. Dry beans and other legumes. Sometimes other bulky stuff from GFS that come in a few pounds too many to just keep an open bag on the shelf, like quinoa- or potato pearls, those I use as a potato thickener :)

I also do some of my own spice and herb mixes, and stuff like peach or squash flours for baking, and sometimes those are best done bigger batch to get the mix right, or I want to share with friends/family. Vacuum sealing helps keep those fresh longer.

In the past when I worked at a place that I could have a cooler and lunch breaks, the fridge sealing came up more- pack a few days worth of salads, or omelettes or whatever into jars on Sunday, then use them up during the week.

• Lars

Here's what I received from Jim Mat🤴:

Foodsaver canisters
    The largest one is 6" diameter x 6-3/4" high (not including lid), and the three canisters stack inside each other when not being used. They were made in Taiwan, but I think they are now discontinued, for some reason.

Thanks, Jim, for sending these to me! I will put them to good use. I think we will put freshly roasted coffee beans in the small canister, and I will put my collection of dried chilies🌶️ in the large one. It's important to store chilies in an air-tight (and preferably vacuum sealed) container, to avoid getting bugs. I'll get back to you on how the seal holds up, but they are great containers, even if not vacuum sealed.

This will certainly help me until the jar sealing attachments become available again. I really appreciate your generosity, especially since you don't really know me🤪

• Kim G

Nice!!

Lars thanked Kim G
  • beesneeds

Ohhhh, nice on Jim Matt!!!

And Lars... consider using the large jar as a vacuum chamber for your canning jars. To my understanding it takes a bit more than the direct attachment to lid thing... but it works.

Lars thanked beesneeds
  • Lars

More unexpected gifts from Jim Mat👍:

I now have a set of jar attachment sealers for Cathedral City, plus a new wine stopper and a special "dial" lid, which I have not yet used. I did use the new wine stopper, and it is much better than the one I had before. This one has a movable stopper inside that rattles when you shake it but becomes sealed when air is removed. The other ones I have do not work at all😞

This will all get put to good use. I have already stored whole wheat flour, brown rice, and wheat berries in the canisters that he sent me.

• Marcy

I need a Jim Mat in my life! I've been looking for the Foodsaver regular mouth jar sealer for over a month now. I need 2 of them but right now at least 1 would be awesome. I refuse to pay the ebay prices as well.

Lars thanked Marcy
  • tiptongrange

I was also looking for a way to seal regular mouth mason jars. I have the fermentation lids for wide mouth jars that @beesneeds mentioned above, but there's nothing like that available for regular mouth jars. I settled on getting a 3 gallon vacuum chamber for $120. I also bought silicone seal rings so that I can reuse the lids.

There are both less expensive and more expensive options out there. The 3 gallon size offers some flexibility, it's about 10" diameter x 10" height, whereas the 1.5 gallon chambers are about 7.5" diameter and height. I can seal about three to four 16 oz jars at the same time and also seal Foodsaver ziplock bags in the 3 gallon chamber.

A few tips:

You can use the regular mouth silicone rings with the wide mouth fermentation lids and the hand pump to seal regular mouth jars.

I like these fermentation lids better than the ones that @beesneeds mentioned because you can stack jars on top of each other whereas you can't with the others. However, they are twice as expensive and the hand pump is not as good, the hand pump that comes with the less expensive set is a bit better--it's worthwhile to get one of the less expensive sets just for the pump even if you prefer the other lids.

You can vacuum seal a regular ziplock bag by placing it inside of a Foodsaver bag. Just slide the seal about a quarter inch to make a gap so that air can escape before placing it inside the Foodsaver bag. Then after vacuuming it, make sure the gap is completely closed before opening and removing it from the Foodsaver bag. The Foodsaver bag can be reused to seal other regular bags.

• Betty Pearson

I have a regular mouth jar sealer, and it isn't working. I have used the wide mouth one for a long time and it works fine. But the regular mouth one isn't working on any regular mouth jars. :-( Anyone know where I can get a replacement without paying an arm and a leg for one?

• Dani

The jar sealer kit shows available right now on the foodsaver website. 9.24.20 at 11:20 pm CST https://www.foodsaver.com/accessories-and-parts/jar-and-bottle-sealers/?fbclid=IwAR3ZIK64QPWeEGgqIHKDg89MCNX7ULdJOTdVe6G0zky2SfQhi2Cp-xgAhk4

• Dani

@Betty Pearson - try this trick that this lady shows to get the regular mouth sealer to work. I haven't tried it yet but I've heard of lots of issues with the regular size and she says this works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB_YMvyFK0A go to 8:46 appx in the video