Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_molella

Exterior design help!

Laura
3 years ago

Looking for some insight on window placement. This is the drawing from our architect. As you can see, the upper middle window is not centered (it will be the second window in the master bedroom). Because we are doing an enclosed porch as shown in the drawing, there doesn’t seem to be enough room to move the window over. My husband doesn’t mind it but my OCD is in overdrive and I think it will drive me nuts. Not sure what kind of advice I’m looking for but if anyone has any suggestions.... please and thanks. (Sorry the photo quality isn’t the best).

Comments (20)

• K H
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would eliminate it and place the second window somewhere else. Could give more suggestions if the floor plan is shared but if you don't want to share that I understand. Besides, the roundness of the window doesn't match the rest of your exterior. Would you be able to center a smaller window over the entryway gable or is this a two story entry?

• Laura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

There isn’t really another place for the window. It needs to be on the front of the house to optimize sunlight. The master bedroom runs the width of the front of the house. The first window is the one over the garage, and the second is the off-centered one. The window on the far left is the master bathroom.

• K H
    3 years ago

I don't even like a small window centered over it.

Seems off still.

• K H
    3 years ago

Maybe add it to the double window?

I still like the first with the double window and no arched window. It just looks a lot cleaner. Sometimes simpler is the way to make things look better :)

• Laura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Right!? This is my dilemma. I actually prefer how the house looks without the window completely, but as mentioned it is a main source of lighting for the room. Would you be able to change the current rounded window to a straight rectangle so I could see how that would look? It would still be off centered but maybe more visually appealing than the rounded window

• PRO
    PPF.
    3 years ago

We really need the 2nd floor plan to comment.

• doc5md
    3 years ago

Without the floor plan for the second floor, I’d say eliminate it

• Laura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Floor plan for the master attached

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

I made some changes to fine tune the exterior. I have used the same size windows for the second floor and made the small gable larger

I changed the windows on the first floor to relate to the windows on the rest of the front.

• K H
    3 years ago

You could shorten the window But keep it the same width as the windows on the left of your front elevation. I don't think that looks bad, but I still think eliminating it is the best for the appearance of the front. But I also understand the desire for light in your room!

• K H
    3 years ago

@Laura just saw your comment. Here is the rounded window in the location originally pictured with a simple gable.

• K H
    3 years ago

Another option.... a less decorative window centered over the porch gable mimic to the porch transom?

I like Bevs more than any. Why couldn't you put a window on the side of your master. There seems to still be enough room for a bed. A nightstand could be placed in front/below a window...

• PRO
    PPF.
    3 years ago

Dropped the porch roof . I'd change other things too, but too much work on an image.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

The house has an area of flat roof??

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

I would add one or two windows on the exterior wall of the master bedroom for cross ventilation as well as light.

• K H
    3 years ago

ooh @PPF. that looks pretty nice! @Mark Bischak, Architect maybe they are putting in a rooftop walk, or pool?

• Pusiwillow Smith
    3 years ago

Where is this going to be built? Looks English, Canadian maybe...

• houssaon
    3 years ago

How about this? The portico could be curved or just a shed roof.

• mononhemeter
    3 years ago

Not a pro. I agree that the drawing from your architect looks bad. I like Bev’s best of the options above, but it still doesn’t look right to me. I wonder if you could make the entire 2nd story symmetric and in one plane, and have the porch roof extend to cover the garage?

• Snaggy
    3 years ago

No middle window ..looks a lot better with out it