edubya

What are your questions about laundry room trends?

Emily H

Contemporary Coastal New Home · More Info

We’ve got an upcoming Houzz TV Live episode focusing on current laundry room trends. Are there questions you have about what our team is currently seeing in the industry? Post them here!

• Ashley

How can I maximize storage in a laundry closet without adding clutter?

• K. Durtschi

I want to see ideas regarding hanging laundry outside. I love this option and would like to see it catch on more in the USA. It's very popular in Europe and is the most ecologically sensible choice.

Philosophy 101-to trend or not to trend? that is the question!

I recommend to cautious clients that you buy classic pieces for your furniture. Think of a sofa style you really like, choose a simple bed, choose simple shapes for furniture (I tend more to angular then curved). These are your building blocks and provide the basis for your long-term home: you can change the bedcover for color, a sofa cover etc.The rest of the pieces are "trend" but as indianpatti says, go for what you like. You may be eclectic, or choose everything in the same tone and add seasonal colours. This is the same as getting dressed: put on the basics: top and bottom and then think of the rest as your belt, scarf, earrings and necklaces - handbag and shoes... apply to home! Best of luck.

Laundry room countertop questions!!

We wanted wood tops in our laundry room so our builder threw this together for us. Just a few hundred for material and labor. Will look great when it's finished.

What's your design trend prediction for 2016?

I choose to live with the colors and furnishings that make me happy. If trendy makes you happy go for it! The biggest problem that I have with going my own way is being able to find fabrics and paints that are not the fav style of the year. Lots of hunting but worth it to make the space ours. Plus it saves me from doing it all over again in 2-3 years. In defense of builders using inexpensive finish products, (FYI -I am not one). Building a home on spec with $100K of upgraded siding, roofing, trim, heating systems etc in an area of $150K homes is business suicide. Custom homes, on the other hand, are built to the owners budget and they are the ones controlling the materials. Most builders take incredible pride in their work but even great builders can't "spin gold out of straw".

What is your favorite design trend for 2016?

I'm not really seeing #1 as a trend. Most of my baths are more spa-like. #2 is more than a trend and has been the new norm for the last 20 years. With most kitchens being open to the family room, the big screen usually has a prominent place so it can be seen from both rooms. I do, however try to incorporate the TV into some cabinetry in a way that doesn't draw attention when it's off. The most annoying of modern intrusions into the media space ironically needs tech to eliminate it. I'm talking about commercials. In my opinion TV is not worth watching without a streaming connection and/or a DVR.
  • apple_pie_order

Emily, if you do one of your popular "poll" surveys on the most common sizes of laundry room people have, you can show similar size rooms newly fitted out with the latest and greatest. List some common sizes and let people vote on what they have or what they'd like to see.

• Ocotillo

I'd be interested in seeing clever ideas for incorporating pet needs into the laundry room (i.e., litterbox, bathing area, etc.).

• shazoryan

How are these finished laundry rooms managing to clean the dryer duct? I use a tool from HD to get what I can, then I took the rest of the duct apart after 7-10 years when my dryer seemed like it was taking too long to dry, and was shocked by how much material was in there. I would love to finish my laundry room, but now I'm not sure if that's a wise choice.

• holly54evv

Incorporating space for cleaning supplies and tools—vacuum, mop, broom, etc in a small laundry.

• Melinda Lim-Zembower

Examples of mudroom/laundry room/pantry.... does this combo exist?

• bpath

Some time ago, laundries moved from the basement to the main floor. Are they now moving to the bedroom level?

In new plans on Houzz forums, we are seeing laundry rooms accessible from the owner’s closet. Is that a trend that some see continuing? It certainly affects the layout of the entire house.

What are the venting trends for dryers? Through the roof, long horizontal runs? Is there any move on the part of the dryer industry to make dis- and re-connecting and cleaning the ducts easier?

Are there any trends to combining laundry with other activities, or are they trending to just a washer and dryer alone? What about a laundry sink?

Outdoor drying is great, some communities do not allow it. Is that changing?

• Kristina

I'd like to be able to take advantage of drying outside but allergies mean I don't have that option. So I'd like to see practical ideas for hanging inside. I live in a desert climate so a bit of extra moisture in the air from those drying clothes would be beneficial.

I'm also wondering if I'm missing out on any benefits by not using the smart technology on my washer and dryer. They're in my secondary laundry room in the basement, which we put into our home when we built for our kids whose bedrooms were down there. Now the kids use it when they come back with their families but I mainly use that laundry room for bedding after visiting family head home so when we replaced the appliances a couple years ago I didn't bother figuring out how to use the technology.

• paulhirst_315

What are some design ideas for a laundry "closet" for those that don't have enough space to be considered a laundry room? Our dedicated laundry space is 60" deep by 67" wide

• angelkins7

I don't get the move towards smaller sinks, instead of the large basins of 20-50 years ago. Is that a continuing trend? I don't like it. How am I supposed to handwash anything in these little laundry room sinks? And where am I supposed to wash Fido if not in the laundry room basin? I guess laundry rooms are moving from practical spaces towards powder room gems? Is there still room for practical, utilitarian laundry rooms, or are they dinosaurs?

• Lisa Parker

I’ve heard a lot of negative feedback on front load washer for home use. Are they true? Does it leak? And smell bad? Has to be serviced often

• Scott Gilbertson

I'd love to know more about the trends on the best spot for laundry room. We're planning to have an upstairs laundry room. Would love to hear about the pros and cons.

• arcy_gw

WOW picture in the OP--my question would be do REAL people have a room that fancy to do laundry in?

• Emma C

Our laundry space does not have any natural light. I think that 99% of the photos I see of laundry room renovations have windows. Could you talk about how to create an inviting window-less laundry room?

• ibarskiy

Are counters - especially non movable heavy counters over appliances safe? Shouldn't there be easy access to the hookup areas (both water/drain and gas for gas dryers)?

• Kristina

Lisa Parker, I have a front load, probably close to 15 years old. I haven't had any leakage problems and don't remember any repairs in that time. I did have a problem with odor and leaving the door ajar didn't really help. I used to dump some white vinegar down the drain every once in a while to counter that. But I think they've improved. My son and daughter-in-law had the same washer a few years newer that used noticeably more water and they had no odor problems even though they lived in humid NC and I live in a very dry climate. When we had a minor repair on the dryer, I asked if he could do anything to adjust how much water it uses with each load but he couldn't do anything like that. He suggested I always set it on high dirt level for every load and consider a double rinse. Since I started doing both, I haven't had any odor problems, even when my husband closes the door on his way to the sink before it's had a few hours to dry out. (He's nice to have around but not easily trained.) I have a newer top load machine in my second laundry room in the basement. No center agitator makes it nice and roomy but also more likely to get unbalanced on the spin, especially with bedding. I've ended up bringing sheets up to my front loader to finish because I got so frustrated with trying to balance the load for the spin. So I'm thinking when the time comes to replace the older front loader, if they no longer have top loaders with center agitators, I'll probably stick with a front loader.

• Dana Mather

Are buyers looking for larger spaces in laundry rooms? What other uses or features are being incorporated?

• tedbixby

I have had numerous front loaders and brands due to different houses and currently have one. Yes, they can have an odor issue but what I found is that if I take a paper towel and wipe the rubber gasket after a wash that towel picks up gunk that has accumulated and will remove the smell. I don't do anything else- no extra wash or rinse cycles or add bleach. Wiping the gunk away which is no big deal or yucky takes care of it and it isn't something that has to be done often- unless you are doing more loads than me. I will never go back to a top loader.

My question is - what are the minus and plus's of materials used for a laundry room sink? I find the acrylic stain and the SS scratch. Are there other options?

• Sean Conner

iLke

• cocoanlace

@janetlancaster I have always had a stackable washer and dryer and no, there is no problem with maintenance. I've had to repair the washer once and the dryer another time and the service man was able to access everything he needed to from the front. Mine's in a closet in the hallway. Not too close to the bedroom and not too close to the living room. Perfect I would say.

• cocoanlace

@shazoryan When I need the vent cleaned on my stackable washer and dryer, I hire a service that charges a little over $100. They use a tool that travels through the walls and to the outside of your home. The second guy stood on a ladder outside and worked it from there, snaking out the lint. I was flabbergasted over the pink fluffy balls that filled the sky from my building. It was 15 years of pink blanket lint. They open your dryer and vacuum inside, too. Lint coats everything and it was dangerously close to the heating element in mine.

• lcjinroslynpa

I am looking for a stacked combo washer/dryer with a TOP-loading washer below and the dryer up top to save space when we redo our laundry. Had one in an apt and liked it - but we need something bigger than an apt sized pair. Not sure what the selection is and would like pros/cons of different models.

• lcjinroslynpa

Can we get some info about heat-pump washers and dryers?

L'abri Artistic Interiors, Inc.

Hello - I would like to know if "pet-servicing" areas are gaining popularity in Laundry spaces?

Bath station, kitty litter areas, and feeding areas?

L'abri Artistic Interiors, Inc.

One more! I myself have an European style washer/dryer combo due to limited space that runs on a regular 110 outlet and doesn't need venting. For apartments, tiny homes etc...are people aware that this option even exists?

• J Inhof

I have always felt that architects and designers give laundry rooms short shrift. I think people can spend a lot of time in the ‘laundry’ ‘doing the laundry’, but also folding clothes, doing little fix it projects, storing the Costco detergents and so forth, flower arranging, and caring for Fido and kitty in that little orphan of a room. And, oh, ironing! I suspect not many do ironing any more, but I do, and I have to drag the ironing board all over the house to find a nice spot. And we have never owned a home with a laundry room that featured a good exhaust fan or even a ceiling fan. The laundry room concept could really use a major redesign for the average American home, IMHO. LOL. Just my 2 cents. 😍

• tedbixby

J Inhof I agree with you and would like to add to your list a closet to hang clothes until you get to iron them ( I do, too!) or a way to hang dry them.

• J Inhof

Yes, Ted, A hanging closet for the clothes. important!

• andreanyc

What are the most useful special features? And which ones are unnecessary?

• mtpo

How do I prioritize and maximize use of space? Store cleaning supplies and ironing board etc, place to lay out sweaters to dry, place to hang clothes to dry or hang as they come out of dryer, mini-fridge, pet poo poo area, — what else?

how to make noise proof? Will agitator / shaking washer damage the house structure?

• TJ

I'm interested in clever and practical solutions such as under counter slide out sweater/drying racks, laundry basket storage, hanging space for hanging items freshly out of dryer, slide out/fold down ironing boards and in-wall water draining solutions. I'd also love to see more pet functionality such as integrated crate and feeding/grooming storage.

• cocoanlace

J Ihof, I agree that laundry rooms can be so much more. I was on Joanna Gaines' blog and saw her laundry room which they added to their farmhouse. She had a small vintage table in the middle of the room and admitted that she gets her cup of coffee, takes it to the laundry room, and sits at that table early in the morning hiding from her kids. It can be a sanctuary.

• Elizabeth Forsyth

I am thinking of moving my washer and dryer to a very small closet like room where they will have to be stacked. They are different makes. I read somewhere that this prevents using a stacking kit but that we could build a supporting counter between the two appliances which will work as well. I’d really like to know if this will solve the problem as I really don’t want to buy a new washer/ dryer set if I don’t have to. Some ideas of how to do this would really be appreciated.

• Keepthefaith MIGirl

Can we see more laundry functions that don't involve hauling clothes across the house? Different life stages have different needs. Master closets with laundry functions could be amazing! I don't want clean clothes drying on racks where everyone comes in from the garage or with pets around. That said, it has its purpose for them. Maybe I need two....

• Marigold

I am interested in seeing ways to disguise the utilitarian bits of a laundry room, such as pullout rods for hanging, sweater drying racks that pull out from cabinetry, maybe covered sinks so the counter can be used for folding in a small room, built in ironing boards, etc.
    As someone said above, it would also be wonderful to see outdoor drying setups. I love to hang my laundry, but don't like the look of a line over my garden.