Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_rowen74

Advise needed for window treatment for 10’ slider with ocean view

Jessica Rowen
3 years ago

Hello Houzz,

I am completely stuck on what to select for this window on our new construction. It faces East on the ocean so the sun blares in early. We want to preserve as much of the view as possible (stack size?)and have sconces on either side. The window opens in the center. Challenges have arisen with each treatment considered. We do not want to compete with the view. If not for sun and light I would likely keep them bare. Any creative thinkers have a solution?

Second wi Dow behind bed needs something also.

Comments (21)

• Angel 18432
    3 years ago

There are shades out there that you can see thru when down when the sun is blaring

then have them up for the rest of the time.

• Angel 18432
    3 years ago

Laguna Cottage · More Info

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    3 years ago

Holy crazy, beautiful view Batman!!!

• Jessica Rowen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! We do need room darkening or blackout to manage morning sun coming in the slider.

• mer03
    3 years ago

Motorized solar shades by Verosol! Amazing! Silver screen. Highly reflective.

North Solar Screen Verosol Solar Shades

Verosol Website

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Make sure you don't trick sea turtles into thinking your nighttime light pollution is the moon please.

• Jessica Rowen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

4 sconces and side lamps are only light in room and are existing. Only concerned about time we are in room (nighttime and early morning sun). Privacy is not an issue on water side.
    Joseph, appreciate your concern about sea turtles. We are in CT and outdoor light is soft and hooded to keep toward decks.

• Jessica Rowen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We have automated solar shades in our sunroom which is used during the day. They are fantastic! We did 5% to block glare and still be able to see the view and water/ horizon line :)

• bichonbabe
    3 years ago

I don't have any ideas but your room is gorgeous ! I'm jealous!

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    3 years ago

Window films could be an option, too.

• sscotto13
    3 years ago

These stack...from Ikea when no one else had such options!

• julieste
    3 years ago

sandscotto--

How wide are your windows, and how many of the Ikea panels do you have stacked there?

• Jessica Rowen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sandscotto, are they drapes or panels? My old eyes can’t tell. We considered vertiglide verticle honeycomb shades for the blackout element but they would sit almost 3” proud of the frame due to needing to clear the slider handles. Since I only have the one window I would not want to give up that wide on each side of the view. You have a spectacular expanse of Windows!

• sscotto13
    3 years ago

The width of the large doors are 141”, the shorter doors are 71” wide. The rolls of fabric to make each panel are super long, the doors are 94” tall. It’s a very sturdy fabric, more like a panel but still translucent. The panels are about 23” each and you can stack as many as 4. Here’s the 3 track from our CA house.
    IKEA currently sells a curtain track system called Vidga. Ours is called Kvartal, you might find it on EBay.
    Good luck and aloha!

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

Just throwing out an idea here... What about retractable solar shades, motorized, that can be mounted discreetly on the ceiling or above your door frame, boxed into a full length valanced with molding that matches your woodwork, painted white. They would retract up into the “wooden valance” when not in use. Maybe a total of three blinds, one for each section of door. I have no idea if that would work. Good luck!

• Jessica Rowen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That sounds amazing. I wish I had done it while building as we did in our sunroom where they retract to be completely hidden. In this room the ceiling curves down so it would be tough to build out a valance without obstructing the curve and/or blocking in the sconces. Who knew temporary paper shades would live there this long.

• Jessica Rowen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We did consider removing existing molding (it is substantial) and bumping it out to accomodate a roller. :).

• julieste
    3 years ago

sandscotto--

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I saw these in IKEA (in the winter before COVID hit) and was intrigued but couldn't figure out how they worked. So, basically, if 4 can stack on one track and I have a width that is wider than 90", I'd need to mount a couple of these systems next to each other. Did I get it right?

• sscotto13
    3 years ago

Yes, we have mounted more than one length alongside one another.
    Good luck!

• PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    3 years ago

I am reading the treat here and I believe the author looks for black out shades, right? So solar shades don't do the trick at all. What I would like to know is the space/depth between the fixed panel and the sliding door - if you have 3/4 inches, then you can install bottom up top down black out honeycomb shades. www.fenstermann.com or 619.665.9446