Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

Hand sanitizer re-call

This was announced a couple weeks ago so most probably know about it. I heard their are 6-7 brands affected. Only found two.

ITECH 361 is voluntarily recalling 18,940 bottles of All Clean Hand Sanitizer, Moisturizer and Disinfectant sold in one liter bottles to the consumer level. The products are being recalled due to the potential presence of methanol (wood alcohol).

Risk Statement: Substantial methanol exposure can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death. Although all persons using these products on their hands are at risk, young children who accidently ingest these products and adolescents and adults who drink these products as an alcohol (ethanol) substitute, are most at risk for methanol poisoning To date ITECH 361 has not received reports of adverse events related to this recall.

Comments (9)

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm sure the full list is somewhere. I'll look for it. In a closed car it could be an issue not only skin but breathing it. Diziness while driving?, not so good.

I personally don't use any of it but will with gloves on. I find it irritating.

I use the wipes.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow, 55 products are on the list. Link, HERE

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I've had a back up supply in the linen closet, plenty to share when it was so hard to find a couple of months ago. We've been using mostly Germ-X or the Walmart store brand Equate, and have bottles in garage, office, kitchen, guest bath, both vehicles. I've mailed it to my sister, my SIL, handed it and disposable masks to nephews a couple of times in the last weeks.

Over my shoulder when at my computer yesterday, I heard a TV announcer saying something about Blumen Advanced Clear and that rang a bell. I went in and checked the closet and I did have one 16 oz unopened container of the Blumen there. Made in Mexico. The packaging shape enough different I know that's the only one of those I had. Tossed it.

It was this one

Original Author
    3 years ago

It seems, what happened, hand sanitizer is such a $$ product right now, that suppliers had a hard time getting the right basic formula ingredients so they cheated. Safe ingredients are in short supply.

This morning I was linked to a y-tube couple in LA filming their short and nervious shopping adventure. They have been lock-down and careful so far but needed to hit a pharmacy. (ours is drive-thru).

Seems the few inside were wearing masks so that went well. She scored T-P. And some hand sanitizer. They opened it right away in the car and could not breath...it was immediately apparent it was toxic. They said is smelled like cheap tequila X 10 mixed with gasoline. When they got home she googled and found out it was on a re-call list.

A vintage bottle might be ok but I would toss it or get a refund.

We have enough going on. Greed. Shameful. The bottle says FDA approved.

• Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

Thanks for the post. I checked the sanitizer I just ordered and thank goodness, it is not on the list.

Original Author
    3 years ago

We are all well aware what hand sanitizer smells like. A bit inert. Not much scent to speak of. If it is overwhelmingly 'hit your face' in fumes, check your container to the re-call list.

I'm more sensitive than most...sneeze always down the detergent isle. Perfumes etc.

Good grief, one more thing to watch out for.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Bumping this up so everyone is aware. It should be apparent being so inhaling strong when using...but some formulas were using florals like lavender to mask the toxins.

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

I have a pack of alcohol-based hand wipes I keep in the car (along with the pack of dust masks I got last year for chicken coop cleanout). I discovered early on that I have two small but forgotten bottles of rubbing alcohol. I am saving used wipes to make new wipes with, when I run out of the bought canister.

I can't smell my wipes unless I get my nose three inches from them.

But otherwise - I use soap and water at home, a good 20 seconds. Or so.