Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morahshosh

An inexpensive area rug with a chocolate brown couch?!

morahshosh
3 years ago

I am moving, and I need an area rug FAST.

I have a chocolate brown L shaped couch, and need a rug and curtains. I am open to anything, though I was thinking that another nice color to introduce would be aqua. I love color, and do not love the traditional persoan rug look. I like a little more modern/transitional.

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    3 years ago

Hello Morah,

Do you have a Lowe's or home depot nearby?

• PRO
    3 years ago

Are you thinking something like this?

Dalyn Modern Greys MG5993 Teal 5'3" x 7'7" Rug · More Info

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

I just bought an area carpet for my living room. I was looking all over the internet and noticed a lot of overlap between sites, so I decided to look at everything sold by Bed Bath and Beyond.

I did this because they had a large selection and anything that I buy I can return locally and not have to pay return shipping. Once I found the carpet I thought I wanted I went ahead and ordered it. I also did an image search for the carpet and found it for $100.00 less on a couple of sites (including Houzz and Wayfair).

Once the carpet came in and I decided that I loved it I called BBB and told them that I found a much lower price. They gave me an additional discount, but wouldn't match the price. I went ahead and ordered the carpet from Houzz and will return the other carpet when the new one comes in.

• morahshosh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Funny, I had something like this in my shopping cart

Do you think this goes with chocolate brown?

• One Devoted Dame
    3 years ago

Check out Mohawk's Prismatic line of rugs; I find several of them intriguing....

• PRO
    3 years ago

Sorry Morah,

I did not see this until now. Yes, It is really beautiful with chocolate brown.

Marcie

• PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hello Morah,

Just a word of caution when shopping for curtains online, be certain you are getting both panels for the price. Sometimes the price is for one panel only; that's expensive.

Here are a couple of curtains that could go well with the area rug I posted yesterday.

These curtains can be found on HOUZZ. The 2 sets below are for $42.99 & $43.99 a pair.

Best wishes,

Marcie

Vesta Heavy Linen Woven Grommet Top Curtains, 52"x96", Teal, Set of 2 · More Info

Oxford Grommet Top Curtains, 52"x84", Teal, Set of 2 · More Info

• Maureen
    3 years ago

You can’t beat IKEA for drapery selection and price. I have linen like drapes in my bedroom and living room and they are perfect. Instead of coloured drapes and not being moved in and decided on accessorirs, wall color, etc I think you would be much safer with cream. They will also help to lighten the space, especially with a dark brown couch - see below with the cream in room. Add color with cushions and rug.

Blue is a very complimentary color with brown and feels more modern than teal, in case you wanted to consider. As well, there will be a much wider selection. Hard to suggest a style without knowing your taste and decor

Marshalls, and if you have a Home Sense, has very good prices. Amazon and Wayfair can deliver in a few day if you don’t need to see.

Also check Facebook’s Marketplace for great bargains. For example, where I live, this was listed. You can see local items as listings are local based on your postal or zip code

• morahshosh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think I agree with you re: the cream colored curtains!! Thank you.

Here's my next question... what do we think of this to go with it?

I dont know... I'm not good at this stuff. But I have 128" of space to play with for storage (toys/books), and I would like to mount my TV here too... I was thinking big bookcase, small bookcases, big bookcase (think ikea billys), but they do not have medium brown color. Let me know your thoughts.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Morah,

Can we get some pictures and measurements of the room. That would help so much.

Marcie

• Maureen
    3 years ago

Ikea‘s Besta line comes in walnut effect and has lots of combinations. If more storage is needed, IKEA can make recommendations regarding other configurations based on your needs

• morahshosh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The wall with the books is where I would want to put the couch... separating the dining roo and living room with the other section of the L (meaning not against the window) ... all of the walls are white now.

• morahshosh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love besta! Not enough storage space though.

• morahshosh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Im also open to color of shelves!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!

• PRO
    3 years ago

Hello Morah,

Thank you for the pictures. That helps us visual folks out a lot. May we have one with your back to the sliding glass doors? You have a sweet little place there. Lots of natural light. I noticed that you have a drop down screen for watching shows. It that difficult to change places with the screen and projector? May I know the measurement of the room? That would help us a lot.

I have a room that we use as our living room. Here is a picture of what we put together. As the kind person suggested earlier we used IKEA Billy bookshelves to put ours together. It gave us a lot of storage and room for our TV. The Billy units have the option to put doors on them if you like that sort of thing. I believe the screen would work as well in this configuration. You could put your pictures in a grouping and the screen could drop down in front of the for viewing.

Here is a picture of what we did.

• PRO
    3 years ago

What about white since your walls are white? It would not overwhelm the room visually and still give you a lot of storage? Below are some pics of Billy bookcases. They come in a range of width and height.

As you can see IKEA, HOUZZ and many other stores have boxes and so on that can fit into the shelves.

We used one of these narrow ones to make a bridge between the other two larger shelves. It worked really well. They also have clip on lights that add extra lighting in the room without taking up floor space.

morahshosh thanked Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
  • morahshosh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

from the window all the way to the staircase is about 27 feet. This is the best I could do! I am currently in another country

• morahshosh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

the projector belongs to previous tenant! not ours. we have a blank slate :)

• PRO
  • PRO
    3 years ago

Hello Morah,

Hope your day is going well so far.

A 3D rendition build is in the making using the measurements you gave me of 27" from the glass doors to the stairs. I am guessing that the width of the room is about 17' wide. It looks as if there is a kitchen counter bar open to the room. So the build will include that as well. I will keep you updated as I progress.

Marcie

morahshosh thanked Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
  • PRO
    3 years ago

As promised, here is the 3D rendition for your consideration. Please note that the colors and style of the furniture is not being presented but the concept and placement of each element as a suggestion only. If you would like to see anything changed in the rendition please let me know. I am happy to do so.

Best Wishes,

Marcie

In it you will find

1. One chocolate brown sectional
    2. 3 round side tables
    3. 2 chocolate brown swivel chairs
    4. One round coffee table
    5. One basket for toys
    6. One basket for blankets
    7. 2 floor lamps
    8. One easy chair with a matching ottoman
    9. 2 side boards with storage
    10. One low TV console
    11. IKEA shelves and bookcases
    12. One TV
    13. 3 counter height stools
    14. One area rug
    15. White curtains
    16. Teal & white Throw pillows
    17. One rocking horse for the little one
    18. Wall art and 2 mirrors for decor, to add and reflect light into the room.
    19. One rectangular over the couch side table next to the L on the sectional
    20. 2 table lamps on the side board on the TV wall
    21. 2 standing plant stands with plants

• PRO
    3 years ago

This is what we did with our Billy bookcases for our family room.

• morahshosh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

you are amazing and so helpful!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

• PRO
    3 years ago

Happy to help Morah.

Marcie

• PRO
    3 years ago

Best wishes with your move. :-)

• PRO
    3 years ago

Good day to You Morah,

Just a short note. I wanted to let you know that the couch in the rendition is a 7'11"3/4 long sectional and I based the layout on a 17' width to the room. As you know the actual measurements of your sectional and width of the room will affect the actual layout. It may be a little cozier (as in closer to the TV wall) but it can still work as depicted.

I thought that you might like to see the room with the sectional and TV setup on opposite sides. It does open the room up. Just wanted you to see this option. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Happy to help.

Best Wishes,

Marcie

• PRO
    3 years ago

Hope all is going well for you and your move.