Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniemhayes

Should I paint the cabinets or leave them natural?

jenniemhayes
3 years ago

Hi there,

I just had beautiful new custom cabinets installed and I'm really torn. The plan was always to paint, so they're paint-grade: MDF with alder veneer and lumber boxes. But I love the look of the natural Alder so much I'm now wondering, is it possible to just finish them with a clear wood topcoat? I would want them to look as natural and matte as possible, I worry about them looking too shiny. And I worry about yellowing. And since they're MDF and inset, water is a big deal, obviously.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks!

Comments (24)

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I love this wood color! leave them natural! I recommend matte for the clear coat. I'm not sure what color they might change to over time though.

the thing is you can possibly paint in the future if they wind up aging to a color you hate.

jenniemhayes thanked User
  • THOR, Son of ODIN
    3 years ago

I think the alder is beautiful!

Scherr's Cabinets has a web page showing wood species' color shifts:
    https://www.scherrs.com/contents/en-us/d53_ColorShift.html

Consider using General Finishes water-based polyurethane topcoat.
    This comes in a Satin finish.
    https://generalfinishes.com/wood-finishes-retail/water-based-topcoats-and-sanding-sealer/high-performance-polyurethane-water

jenniemhayes thanked THOR, Son of ODIN
  • eam44
    3 years ago

Do you know what the veneer thickness is? It is very pretty.

Consider hiring someone to do apply the protective coating. You need the right number of drip-free coats of the right coating. It’ll be worth the expense, and the expense should be reasonable.

jenniemhayes thanked eam44
  • herbflavor
    3 years ago

I’d lightly stain and top coat at least per what your local person does w uv filter Added. kitchen is heavy use / you will not like untreated alder down the line. Alder is a softer hardwood get a coating on and satin is not that much more glossy than matte.

jenniemhayes thanked herbflavor
  • Jennifer Svensson
    3 years ago

Very pretty as is!

jenniemhayes thanked Jennifer Svensson
  • PRO
    FLUXPACE
    3 years ago

I would leave it natural. It adds contrast to the white walls, also it matches with the floor which creates flow. All you need now is to add nice hardware.

jenniemhayes thanked FLUXPACE
  • PRO
    User
    3 years ago

A waterbased matte or flat poly will be near a natural look.

jenniemhayes thanked User
  • Shilpa R
    3 years ago

Looks fantastic!

jenniemhayes thanked Shilpa R
  • traci_from_seattle
    3 years ago

Curious why the alder veneer if you were going to paint them?

I think it’s gorgeous as it is (with top coat) and they look finished, like this was your plan all along so I say do not paint!

jenniemhayes thanked traci_from_seattle
  • Karenmo
    3 years ago

The wood cabinets look great with the floor, and the wood shelf on white wall is classic. Agree with the recommendation to hire a really good finisher.

jenniemhayes thanked Karenmo
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I would not paint now since you have spent the money on the veneer you did not need if you were painting.IMO they look great and I would try to make sure the finish does not change the color too much

jenniemhayes thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Mrs Pete
    3 years ago

I'm jumping on the bandwagon -- I'd keep them "as is". They're really nice.

BUT in years to come, when they're banged up from use and you're looking for a change, THEN I'd paint them and give them a fresh look.

jenniemhayes thanked Mrs Pete
  • motupeg
    3 years ago

I like them as they are.

jenniemhayes thanked motupeg
  • milney_51031
    3 years ago

They are so pretty as is . Please .. no paint. Find someone to put a coat of sealant on.

jenniemhayes thanked milney_51031
  • HU-335630682
    3 years ago

Sorry I would paint or stain darker, 😳

jenniemhayes thanked HU-335630682
  • Annegriet
    3 years ago

AS IS. They are beautiful. Classic.

jenniemhayes thanked Annegriet
  • btydrvn
    3 years ago

It is really impractical to leave raw...and pretty sure any finish will darken them somewhat...when i have questions like this i try the local high end paint store...i think there is a wax that wont darken ...for this purpose...think it might be BRIWAX

jenniemhayes thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    3 years ago

Very easy DIY

jenniemhayes thanked btydrvn
  • ptreckel
    3 years ago

Beautiful as they are, with a protective finish!

jenniemhayes thanked ptreckel
  • ulisdone
    3 years ago

Water based polyurethane will not darken or yellow the veneer. It is easy to use.

How are the door edges finished? Edge-banded veneer?

jenniemhayes thanked ulisdone
  • jenniemhayes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @live_wire_oak

It was a small local custom cabinet shop. I was also very surprised about the alder veneer. That's what they said they use for their paint-grade cabinets—which they don't finish themselves.

It's a happy accident, because I love them, but agree about getting them finished professionally. Thanks for your suggestion.

• Lori East
    3 years ago

I love them natural!

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA