eld6161

Those with curly hair, please step inside

eld6161

I want to see if I can manage my frizzy wavy hair without blow drying.

I am tired of reverting to the pony tail during these hot Humid days.

Educate me on your regime. I am assuming I have to also find a stylist for curly hair, as the cut is also important.

Today I tried a Paul Mitchell leave in condition and. Deva gel recommenced by my sister. Her hair is more curly than wavy. Not too bad, but I think I can do better.

please share products and tricks.

TIA

• Yayagal

Wow, the hair above is amazing but needs a good pro to shape it properly so that it looks striking. I want to add the idea of using a satin pillowcase. I have been using them for forty years and they make a huge difference in the breakage, snagging, and rumpled mess.

eld6161 thanked Yayagal
  • leona_2008

Fairly recent curly convert here after a lifetime of hating and complaining. I spent hours and hours checking youtube videos and browsing the naturallycurly.com site, which is for every type of curl there is, meaning there is a lot of good info but you have to wade through a lot that won't apply to you. I wish I had found this girl's blog much, much sooner. She has drop-dead gorgeous, curly hair. My curls are much tighter than hers so I will never have those big bouncy girls but I can get a looser curl following her instructions. From seeing your photo, I bet you have the same type of curl that she does.

https://www.curlsandbeautydiary.com/start-here-curly-hair/

I went to a Deva Curl stylist and have only used their products because I am tired of wasting hope and money on products that disappoint. You can find a Deva Curl stylist in your area on their site. No, I am not affiliated with them.

https://www.devacurl.com/us

cmm1964, your hair is beautiful

eta: Reread what I wrote. I'll leave it cause who doesn't need a laugh these days? I won't ever have those big bouncy curls either. lol.

eld6161 thanked leona_2008

Help! How to decorate step shelves.

Would paint all oak trim white. Shelves do not need anything. If you think you need something. Add TALL baskets in a color. At top tallest and going shorter as you go dn. World Market and Pier One carry some nice ones. Don't be afraid to go 24" tall on top one. Height is Should go up pass railings. For any effect.

hair dryer storage and hidden plug?

Something we have done in kitchens for islands and it passed inspection. Take the top drawer area and just have a false front that flips down - looks like a drawer but is not, it's like the flip down fronts sometimes used at a sink. Inside the area install a fixed board and install the receptacle into that board and place a standard receptacle plate on it. All you see when you flip the front down is the plug in. Below that you can create one of the nice pull outs that stores dryers and curling irons, etc. They can't stay plugged in all the time, but it provides a clean look. We have also done cabinet towers between two sinks or at both ends of a longer vanity and put the receptacle in an appliance garage at the bottom of the tower.

Front entry steps!! Aggghhhh

Andy, all computers running Windows come with MS Paint. It is easy to take a photo and doodle over it. You can also cut out images from other pictures and paste to your house. You should give it a try. I don't know what is provided by Apple. I really liked the image posted by ER612 with your house painted white. I suspected your wife would not go for it as it had so much concrete. I really liked Beverly's image with flagstone. It was only slightly different from what ER612 created. The flagstone steps have a curve, which I think you said you like and, obviously different material was used. I think it would be a good idea for you to interview a few landscape architects about creating a design for the stairs. Especially since you talk of redistributing soil. Have you considered how that could impact on drainage? Make it clear that you will be buying the design only. You could also request help on the Landscape Design Forum. If you do you will be asked to submit some rather specific photographs. It is worth the effort.

Our kitchen (Before & After). Steps we took to get to the final result

Great job! I have been working on a. Similar project but I am waiting on the counters. I look forward to hearing how they hold up for you. I would love quartz but the price tag is just too much right now. ($5k for the cheapest. Ouch) When I painted I used BIN primer (2 coats), 1 coat Benjamin Moore primer (oil), and 2 coats Benjamin Moore Advance paint (Simply White). I sprayed my doors and rolled the cabinet frames. Turned out great. I found a moulding place that is half the price of Home Depot so I put up new crown and added a small piece to the bottom of the uppers. Wrapped our island in board and batten and painted it functional gray. I still need to find hardware
  • nutsaboutplants

DLM, Eld, here is a pic of the two products. And I second/third the suggestion of a satin pillow and a satin hair cap at night.

and here is a picture of my hair straightened with a flat iron which I did for many years and simply got tired of the time and effort.

eld6161 thanked nutsaboutplants
  • Eileen

If I used the conditioner or moisturizer in the quantities recommended, with my fine texture, my hair would look greasy or wet. I don't want a wet or crunchy look, just soft curls.

I used to wear my hair shoulder length and layered like yours, eld. I know they say the layers will bring out the curls, but they actually cut the curl before it can do a complete curve. My hair doesn't really start to curl until about the top of my ears. So I went shorter and one length.

Here's when DH gave me a COVID cut and cut my hair shorter than it'd ever been before. It's still a little damp from the cut and could use a little scrunching with the leave-in conditioner. It's bouncier than a long layered cut and I really like it.

eld6161 thanked Eileen
  • hhireno

^that is a nice cut and curl. And your husband cut it?! Is he taking appointments?

eld6161 thanked hhireno
  • Eileen

It was his first attempt and he's cut it again since then. It's a simple cut but he got it even and that's all I ever ask from my hairdresser. I may never go back to her!

eld6161 thanked Eileen
  • eld6161

ThanksNuts. I can’t make out the Keratin product though.

• nutsaboutplants

Eld, I think it says “BioKeratin Luxury Collection” and below that “Keratin Anti-frizz Smoothing Cream”. I believe BioKeratin is the brand.

eld6161 thanked nutsaboutplants
  • terezosa / terriks

Reading all the steps that the blogger from leona_2008's post makes me tired just thinking about it! I have wavy/frizzy/sometimes curly hair, and it can be quicker and easier to just straighten it!

What's been best for me has been to grow my hair out, including bangs. My bangs were the worst when there was any humidity or moisture in the air.

Am I the only wavy/curly hair person that feels that different styles of clothing look better with curly or straight hair? There are some things that I just don't think look right with sort of wild curly hair.

eld6161 thanked terezosa / terriks
  • eld6161

Terezosa, I have never thought that......interesting.

• nutsaboutplants

Terri is, yes, I too feel more comfortable with my hair straightened with most situations and clothes. Once I retired, it’s been liberating to not have to worry about straightening.

eld6161 thanked nutsaboutplants
  • patriceny

Terriks, my bangs were the work of the devil. I was able to grow them out, because yes they were unmanageable. They were very annoying during the growing out phase but I'm glad they are gone.

Chemical relaxer and argan oil, along with heat protectant spray and a flat iron, turned my hair into something that passed as almost normal. But as mentioned upthread I've gone 7 months without relaxer so it's getting pretty kinky around here.

eld6161 thanked patriceny
  • salonva

I always have said, and continue to say, that in my next life, II have already requested straight hair. Doesn't have to be pin straight, but it will be straight hair. No question about it.

eld6161 thanked salonva
  • Hogette-gw

I have nothing to add. Lived with this for so long.

• patriceny

Hogette - sing it to me sister! It feels nice to talk to people who understand. When I was younger I would have about killed for normal hair. As I've aged I've made some peace with it.

• terezosa / terriks

hogette - you, and your hair are beautiful!

• Feathers11

My hair is naturally curly, and I agree with the statements that you can take steps one day with good results, and the same steps the next day with different results. I learned long ago that I didn't have much control over my curls, so I don't have a tried-and-true method to share.

All of the photos above, though, show beautiful hair. We are harder on ourselves than we need to be. And it's always the case of the grass being greener... I'm so envious of naturally straight hair, while I have random strangers compliment my curls. Just a few weeks ago, a woman at least 20 years my junior said she loved my curly hair and hated straightening hers. I told her I straighten my hair when I need to be more professional.

Nutsaboutplants, I recall your prior sharing about your Cetaphil fluk, and I have that product. I'm going to try it.

eld6161 thanked Feathers11
  • salonva

I will say that since I stopped using the stiffening kind of gel from a few years ago and now just leave in moisturizing conditioner and let it dry , my hair feels really nice and soft and healthy.

It does not look any better, sorry to say ( and I keep thinking about going back to coloring it again) but it does feel nicer.

eld6161 thanked salonva
  • salonva

Good reminder- I still haven't tried the Cetaphil Moisturizer. I remember looking for it in the store after reading this, and kept thinking how there are so many products I wasn't sure it was the one. Now I will have a new focus to look for and maybe even buy it and try it.

My hair still is feeling really nice and soft, but still looking pretty crappy.. I have mostly made peace with that but still do entertain a keratin treatment and or coloring. (If I did not act to buy a moisturizing lotion to try in all this time, it's not likely I will be calling a salon and getting those services either)

• aok27502

I know this is an old thread, but I'm glad it got bumped. I also intended to try the Cetaphil, and forgot.

Yesterday I got about 4" cut off, it now just brushes my shoulders when dry. I have saved the picture of Eileen's cut, I will show it to the stylist nest time and say "this! Do this!"

• sushipup1

"Rachel Hunter" bumped the thread. A known necrospam editor.

• salonva

I didn't catch the name...isn't that Rod Stewart's ex? and she was empathizing with us? Cool!!! but I was happy for the reminder to look for the cetaphil lotion.:)

• IdaClaire

The deadspammer has also been at it on the other side. What a dork.

eld6161 thanked IdaClaire
  • SEA SEA

Thanks to the spammer, seriously, there is an example of what I was going for with my dead presidents haircut in November. The photo of nutsaboutplants upthread where she's with her friends, three people in the photo, she has dark hair. I hoped my hair would look like that. She looks great!! She has more and better hair than me, but I still hold out hope...I tweaked the cut two days ago. It looks better, but last night dd asked me where the party was. Said I had party hair. Not sure if that means I'm on the right track or not, but at least I was not compared to some guy who lived 200 years ago.

Nice hair ladies. This thread was a first view for me, so it was fun to wade through.

eld6161 thanked SEA SEA
  • IdaClaire

It's so funny how we sometimes see ourselves! Once when I had long, layered hair (was supposed to have been blonde, but had gone all brassy-yellow) and was wearing my glasses, it occurred to me that I looked exactly like Garth from Wayne's World. Party on.

• SEA SEA

Hahaha! Yea, I have to be careful, lest my hair can look like Garth's too. It's a struggle. Hahaha!

• salonva

and I can easily be Rosannadanna of the pyramid hair.

• SEA SEA

Haha salonva

• patriceny

Me too Salonva. That's actually what my "normal" hair looks like if I don't wage a chemical war on it. :)

I also forget to try the Cetaphil. Maybe it's the miracle cream we've all been looking for....

I need to go add that to my grocery list right now!

• terezosa / terriks

I did buy the Cetaphil moisturizer way back when, but still haven't tried it in my hair. Maybe today's the day.

• aok27502

I bought a wee bottle of Cetaphil today. Will report back after my next shower.

• Allison0704

I know everyone always loves what they don't have, so of course I love all the curls! I have waves, but since I've let it grow longer, I don't always have morning hair (so nice to get up and brush, not have to wet/dry again!). My hairstylist had a new (to her) product a few months ago. It smoothed my hair aka no frizz. I converted to their products (shampoo, conditioner, and Dream Coat). Was it as great when we were in Florida over a month ago and the wind was blowing all day? Nope, had frizz, but not as bad. If you decide to try, sign up for text alerts. They put things 20% to 30% off ALL the time, but seem to do one product at a time.

• salonva

Bwahahaha thank you so much Rachel.

• patriceny

Sometimes I wish I had a fly swatter. Totally.

(ETA, this was in response to a spammer, who has since been zapped.... )

• nutsaboutplants

Seeing this thread after a long time. As one of the few posters who mentioned cetaphil, I hope I didn’t oversell the cetaphil idea. I have extremely coarse hair. A whole lot of it too. And with huge waves. The cetaphil works for me by pretty much weighing down my fright of a hair. Otherwise, my hair literally balloons 3-4 inches in all directions. (SEASEA, you’re so kind.)

I am feeling nervous now, as I don’t know how it works on fine curly hair.

• Tina Marie

I am lucky in that I have wavy hair that I can (usually!) scrunch or air dry to look more on the curly side. I cannot imagine myself with straight hair! Thankfully, I don't have frizz, but now that I have let my color grow out, I am experiencing alot of "baby hairs" (new hair growth). Sometimes it is noticeable at the part and hairline. I can generally put a bit of gel, conditioner, whatever and rub together in my hands and over that area to smooth. I have thick hair, and it doesn't seem like it's getting thicker, but I wonder if no more coloring is giving me a growth boost??? My hair never looked unhealthy, but my last haircut, my hair gal commented on what good shape it was in (not dry).

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Way back in my youth, when I lived in muggy southern Ohio, my hair was much curlier than it is now (it is thinner now, too), had a mind of its own, and yes, could get frizzy and "big" unless I used a boatload of Dippity-Do (okay, that totally reveals my age, doesn't it?)

But, late in high school I discovered that if I aggressively conditioned my hair - "over-conditioned" it would probably be called today - the frizz and curl were tamed.

IIRC I used either Wella Kolestral, or a Clairol product that doesn't seem to be available now. Both came in tubes like VO5 does but were a creamy type conditioner product. I would slather it on and leave it for 2 hours or so, then wash. Usually would take at least 2 latherings to remove the product adequately, but then my hair would be very soft, silky, shiny, and able to be styled - and this would last for a while (at least a week or more, again IIRC).

• cmm1964

Allison be aware the Dream coat product contains silicone. While it makes for great smooth frizz free hair it also seals the hairs cuticle and doesn’t enable it to absorb moisture. You may need a clarifying shampoo every once in awhile to get a fresh start. I didn’t look up the type of silicone it was and it may be possible it’s water so,unless which is kinder to your hair. I use the Deva line right now.

• aok27502

Nutsaboutplants, I have the same hair as you. Thick, definitely not fine, and curls with a mind of it's own. Ringlets and frizz at the same time. And I live in the humid south. 😳 I'm happy to give the Cetaphil a shot, what's the harm? My hair will look weird under my bike helmet? Yeah, so? 😆

• Allison0704

@cmm1964 Thanks. I think their silicone is okay though. I've been using for months but never used a clarifying shampoo. I bought their Dream Filter mineral remover, but haven't used yet.

From their website:

If it's waterproof, how do I get it out of my hair?
    Shampoo removes the product. Effects last through 3 to 4 shampoos.

• terezosa / terriks

I used the Cetaphil in my hair yesterday, but I was too tired/lazy to scrunch it into curls before I went to bed. I sleep with my hair in a bun on top of my head, so any effect that it may have had is now gone. But my hair doesn't feel weighed down or dirty.

• Honu3421

I’m intrigued with the idea of using Cetaphil and it’s on my list. My hair fine, but thick with lots of body. For self preservation, I learned early to embrace the concept of studied disarray. When it was shorter I was able to scrunch it into curls but now that it is longer, I get more surface frizz and waves. I calm it down with “just the right amount” of product. After washing I clip it into a lose cross between French roll and messy bun while it dries. Here are the products I am currently using:

I use two small pumps of this from mid lengths to ends.

And a smidgen of this one rubbed on my palms with a few drops of water.

This is the bun I put up

and this is the almost dry result. Still wavy but calmed down.

ETA: sorry for the humongous photos! I selected small and don’t know why they are so huge...

eld6161 thanked Honu3421
  • sushipup1

"BrandonArnold" is a known spammer.

• salonva

Interesting sushi, but that is a legitimate product. I used it years ago- not sure if it's still around but hey at least it's a legit and appropriate comment!

I went today to buy the cetaphil lotion and wouldn't you know- they had like 4 different ones.......so I have to now study the photo above so I get the right one!!!!

• sushipup1

The spammer is known for posting short comments and then coming back a few days later to edit the post to include a spam link.

• IdaClaire

You could say he's a real "pro" at it.

🙄

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I'm hesitant to post a picture of my wavy hair here as my latest picture doesn't look particularly smooth but I do like tigi Bed Head after party for smoothing.

• salonva

thanks for the explanation sushi--- bumble I would be thrilled to have such well behaved hair. looks great!

• Honu3421

I just ordered Bed Head After Party. Thanks, Bumble. and did I tell you your hair is beautiful? So excited! It arrives Friday. I’m still in the lookout for Cetaphil Lotion. It’s on sale here and I haven’t found it on the shelves. Hmmm. Maybe I should order that, too. Off to add to my shopping cart!

• sushipup1

Note that several days ago "Rachel Hunter" edit her necropost to add spam. Please go back and locate it and flag it. Thanks.