Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

Bloomers the last week of July

sherrygirl zone5 N il
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I’m sad to think the blooming is definitely past peak here. Had some highlights in the gardens this week. One of my favorites started this week, Sea Dragon. The flowers are a bit smaller this season, still an eye catcher.

My newer double Fancy Buttons had its first triple bloom ever.

Soco Gap was added in the fall of 2018. It was a poor performer it’s first season, got moved last fall. First blooms this week were actually very nice, it gets a reprieve for now.

I received Her Best Bloomers as a bonus, I probably wouldn’t have ordered it. The blooms are 4”, but I understand how it got named. It’s loaded with buds and the color is a luscious red, hard to photograph correctly.

Laura Harwood started blooming two days ago, it’s going to be terrific this season. She didn’t listen about short scapes, bud drop, etc. Huge perfect blooms so far.

First blooms today on Witches Stick and Orchid Corsage.

Sherry

Comments (9)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago

A nice batch of blooms for so late in the season. Socco Gap shows orangey red, what's it look like in person?........... Fancy Buttons is a double that appeals to me.....I also like Her Best Bloomers - although I think my brain is fried from the heat as it took me a minute to get the play on words.........Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • Brad KY 6b
    3 years ago

Very pretty blooms, Sherry. Laura Harwood is great as usual. Her Best Bloomers is also quite pretty.

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • shive
    3 years ago

Nice ones! I always like your Sea Dragon. Fancy Buttons is a pretty pink double, and the clump of Her Best Bloomers looks terrific. Laura Harwood is producing perfect blooms, and Witches Stick and Orchid Corsage are great lates.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Maryl, the color on Soco Gap is really close, it is indeed an orangey red. It’s in the sun most of the day and the blooms are a bit tired at the end of the day. I took this photo early morning when it’s in the shade.

Sherry

• organic_kitten
    3 years ago

Very nice blooms, Sherry.. I like your Fancy buttons and your Best bloomer. Laura Harwood is always a beauty. Sea Dragon is lovely.

kay

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked organic_kitten
  • Julia WV (6b)
    3 years ago

I like Her Best Bloomers and Soco Gap.I had to go and look up what Soco Gap was. Interesting. Daylilies are still blooming here as we are about a week behind. Not sure what peak bloom would look like this year.

Julia

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Julia WV (6b)
  • nat4b
    3 years ago

I was photographing Sea Dragon today thinking how showy it is and that you also grow it :) Mine is almost done though. I also love Witches Stick and Orchid Corsage such a lovely form. Of course Laura Harwood always looks great. I have Night Beacon which reminds me of it but it has small blooms and either doesn't like the place or not good for this climate just a few flowers a season, thinking about moving it out.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked nat4b
  • Nancy 6b
    3 years ago

Her Best Bloomers died here last year, dratted moles dug under and shifted. I did not notice til too late. I agree, a really nice color that is hard to capture. I quite liked it, despite it being a smaller bloom. Laura Harwood looks perfect. Love Sea Dragon.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • lilykate7a
    3 years ago

Seems like your season just started!! Great photo of Laura Harwood. Her Best Bloomers seems to be living up to her name. Sea Dragon is showy-nice set of blooms.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH