Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanmav68

Need home addition idea for master bedroom, ensuite and laundry room

sanmav68
3 years ago

Hello

I was wanting to get some floor plan ideas for a home addition of a master bedroom, ensuite and a laundry room. I was also wanting to add a HVAC system, so a place for that also. The existing attic is to low to place a system in without laying it on it's side. AC is a must have in Texas. The existing home is 28 x 25 with 8 ft walls. Pier and beam. I would like to keep it a one level home. I have plenty of room to add onto the length. I can add to the width, but only on the left side beyond the kitchen. Here is a floor plan of the existing home. If you have any ideas to help me with this addition, that would be great. Thank you.

Comments (19)

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Are you working witih an architect already or are you in the gathering ideas stage? Do you have a budget range in mind? How big do you want the addition to be?

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

The sketch needs to be corrected: the kitchen/living room wall location and bedroom closet locations don't match the measurements written on it.

• sanmav68
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi apple_pie_order

Oh, OK. I will measure them again. No, I don't have an architect, just gathering ideas. I have a budget of $20,000. Not sure how far that would get me. I was looking at maybe 16 X the length of the house.

Ok, I think I have it somewhat close this time. The closets are different sizes. The space with the water heater is 24". Had the width and length of kitchen reversed and a little off, I think. Hope this helps. I wont be changing any of that part of the house. Just wanted to add the extra rooms. Get an idea floor plan to show a contractor to get a quote.

• Jennifer K
    3 years ago

With $20k, you're not looking at an addition. That kind of budget might buy you an un-plumbed, un-wired garage on a slab foundation.

• sanmav68
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Jennifer

Ok, I understand. I have no idea as to what a job like that would cost. I knew I had to have a floor plan to show a contractor, to at least get an estimate. Thanks for the response. Take care.

• sanmav68
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi live_wire_oak

I know. I guess I was just trying to make lemonade out of lemons. The house was given to my husband by his grandfather and he had a close relationship with him, so I was just going to try and make it work. Thanks for the response. Take care.

• latifolia
    3 years ago

That's such a tough spot to be in. You are sentimentally attached to the house, but expanding it will cost a lot. You may even have to bring the existing up to current code.

Are you living in the house now? Maybe ask the contractor for ideas on adding HVAC. That may be within budget, and will make your family home more comfortable.

• Jennifer K
    3 years ago

If it's in a nice area, maybe it could be a holiday cottage?

• sanmav68
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi latifolia

Yes, we're living in the house and it will need a little work as well. Reading your response, I probably should get a contractor over here to look at the existing home to see if it's even worth the addition. I guess I'm watching to much HGTV and thinking maybe there is hope for the little house. Plus, it will be more like a retirement home. Just have two young adult kids, so no need for family growth. Thanks for the response. Take care.

• sanmav68
    Original Author
    3 years ago

HI Jennifer

It's more like a diamond in the ROUGH...LOL. It's in a neighborhood of small old houses that are getting a face lift and close to a lot of food places, schools and grocery store. The location to everything is great. The town is in between two major cities, going an hour to hour and half either way, so road trips are nothing. Not holiday cottage, but more like a retirement home. Thanks for your response. Take care.

• Jennifer K
    3 years ago

I fiddled around a bit and mocked something up for you. It's very much a starting point, but maybe it will be helpful. I've kept the plumbing in a row to reduce costs and the addition is rectangular for the same reason.

82378605_baby_diamond_first_floor_first_design_20200727032826.png (960×679) · More Info

• sanmav68
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Jennifer

I like this!! I understand about the plumbing, which makes since. I drew a floor plan but mine was wasting space with a hall starting from the kitchen, parting the master bedroom with ensuite and laundry with HVAC system, going to the back. The master and ensuite were more like the size of the second bedroom and bath. Total waste of space and not worthy to be called a master. Thanks for the idea. Take care

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

@sanmav68 : Thanks for info. What I meant was that the number of squares on the graph paper doesn't match your written measurements in those rooms, assuming you are using one square per foot.

Installing a new HVAC system can be worth the money for comfort and even temperature control around the house. A lot depends on how much insulation the old house has. Get two or three quotes, prices can vary a lot depending on how and where they want to install the equipment in an older house that doesn't have it now.

If the inherited house hasn't been maintained consistently, your $20K could easily go toward new appliances, electrical upgrades, new windows, furnace tune-up, gutter cleaning, termite treatment, and new flooring. You may want to pay for a professional inspection just as if you were buying the house so you'll be able to anticipate repair and replacement costs. There are also checklists online if you want to do a runthrough on your own. Some real estate agents offer a list of service people on their websites.

• sanmav68
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi apple_pie_order

Yes, I was trying to use each square as one foot, but somehow, it did not come out as it was supposed to. I believe you are correct with the $20,000 being used for upgrades. Had bids to level foundation ranging from $3,500 to $7,500, Roof $5,000. Will definitely need insulation as it was built back in the 50's and there is no insulation in the walls. Yes, new windows. I'm overwhelmed just typing it. We don't want to take out of 401K. With the way things are going now, we don't want to deplete our savings either. I'm sure we cant even take out a HELOC with all of the repairs that need to be done to it. I was trying to stay positive and think we could add the addition and live in that part. Then work on the rest of the house as we got funds in.

Getting an inspection sounds like a better way to spend money to find the unknown verses going full steam ahead into a brick wall. No money trees in the backyard. Thanks and take care.

• sanmav68
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi latifolia

I will definitely check for the programs. As long as they are not income based, we will have a chance. Not enough income to build a mansion, but enough to build a dog house...LOL. Thanks for the info. Take care.

• latifolia
    3 years ago

Do you have any contractor friends? They should be able to advise on the best approach. Not a pro, but I suspect leveling the foundation would be the first level of business, because it will cause other things to shift.

Next would be the roof, because that protects the whole house. If your husband and kids are handy, you may be able to do that yourself. A small, one-level house should be relatively easy, unless your decking is rotted. Neither leveling nor re-roofing the house would affect living in it.

Ask at your town and county offices if there are any home improvement programs like low-interest loans. Best of luck.

• sanmav68
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi latifolia

The next door neighbor is always building little things like, chicken coops, wishing wells, dog houses and other little projects. I told my husband he may be our construction angel, but husband says his little hobbies does not mean he can construct a house. MEN..smh. The neighbor is a busy bee. Every weekend, the sound of air compressor, starts my day...LOL. an idea to get a couple of my sons friends and this guy that does roofing on the side to do the work. Maybe can pay them a little for their pockets and keep them fed and hydrated.

Yes, I was thinking of doing the improvements in that order. That does make good sense. I have gone down to the city to see if they have some programs and of course, make about $2,000 more with a household of 4. Too rich to get a loan, too poor to pay it...LOL. Take care