Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elaine_ricci

Stained-glass piece for master bath

Elaine Ricci
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I currently have light-brown curtains with a valance in my master bathroom (you can see the valence at the top, rolled up, but I plan to take that down, along with its hardware and the hold-backs for the curtains, when I put up the stained glass), along with shutters on the bottom pane. These curtains are an inheritance from the previous owners -- not anything I would have chosen -- and they darken things up a bit too much for my taste. I want to ditch the curtains and hang a stained-glass piece in the upper pane. I have narrowed my choices down to three and am seeking advice about which would look best. They are all about the same size (I measured the windowpane to see what would fit and selected a few alternatives based on that criterion), and the most expensive is only about $50 more than the others, so aesthetics are the main consideration. The shower curtains are staying, but I may paint the walls (color suggestions welcome -- I'm thinking maybe a pale shade of green to coordinate with the shower curtains; the walls are currently grey, which is not obnoxious but wouldn't have been my choice). (Please ignore the old, blurry window; we got new windows for the front of the house last year and plan to get them for the back of the house next year.) Mock-ups encouraged! Thanks!

Comments (24)

• Elaine Ricci
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Photo of the bathroom window

• Elaine Ricci
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Choice A

Meyda 24"x11" Tulips Transom Stained Glass Window · More Info

• Elaine Ricci
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Choice B

22"Wx11"H Calla Lily Stained Glass Window · More Info

• Elaine Ricci
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Choice C

Meyda 22"x10" Lancaster Stained Glass Window · More Info

• Elaine Ricci
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Jinx! Your mock-ups are so helpful! I believe that I, too, like the first one best, as I was thinking I might.

• Elaine Ricci
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hmmm...Now I am second-guessing myself. The first choice is just a tad bigger width-wise, and I am thinking that the others may fit better in that dimension. Also, hubby (who is OK with the current window treatment that I dislike) is concerned that a stained-glass piece may darken things up too much (although he says that I can do what I want and he will live with it), and Choices B and C (your third and second mock-ups, respectively) seem to let more light in. I like the birds in C (second mock-up), and they are apropos, as hubby & I are birders. Also, I like how B (third mock-up) brings in the pink that coordinates with the framed art piece to the left of the window. Decisions...

• Jilly
    3 years ago

I like the bird one a lot, too!

Elaine Ricci thanked Jilly
  • Elaine Ricci
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here are the other pieces of art in the room, in case that makes a difference. To the left of the window, on the same wall, is the Heliotrope Fairy. On the wall to the left is the mermaid.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

Sometimes decisions are made for us. In this case, choose the one that fits best.

They all have a similar vibe.

Elaine Ricci thanked eld6161
  • Elaine Ricci
    Original Author
    3 years ago

While we're at it, would you lose the "boob light"? If so, replace with what? Something in a similar size and shape, but not so "booby"?(Yes, I know that I should get rid of the popcorn ceiling, but it is not on the list of the first group of popcorn ceilings to get covered by beadboard -- a project which has been delayed due to COVID-19 concerns.)

• Elaine Ricci
    Original Author
    3 years ago
  • Elaine Ricci
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hmmm... now my mom (who has excellent taste) has come out strongly in favor of option A.

• Elaine Ricci
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This was my mother's exact response: "I definitely prefer A. The theme and colors of A and B are similar, but I find A way more elegant." So I am thinking I'll go with option A. Having measured, remeasured, and remeasured yet again, I think it'll work. That's where my inclinations lie.

Any input from anyone on the paint or the light fixture?

• georgect
    3 years ago

If you don't want to add any color or darkness then maybe you can frost the glass. That way you add privacy but don't cast color or darken the room.

I believe there are films that adhere in different transparencies or you can spray on a frost.

You can go crazy with the boob light replacement, there are tons of options.

Flush Mount Light Fixtures

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

The motif of #1 and #3 are the most generic least suggestive of any motif so I would go with one of those. Stained glass is such a lovely addition whenever, where ever one can fit it in!!

• Elaine Ricci
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, all! I have ordered option A.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Might not want to show hubby these.

• cliff_and_joann
    3 years ago

I agree with your Mom, A the Tiffany...classic and beautiful, Don’t worry about the

slight difference in size...you can overlap the window slightly on each side.

My husband and I make stained glass windows. That Tiffany is a beauty.

• georgect
    3 years ago

@lynartist...I like those clear frosted glasses, really nice.

You get a nice diffused light without adding any color.

A perfect idea.

• Elaine Ricci
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi, all! The stained-glass piece arrived today. The color that looked peachy is a lot pinker in person, but I still find it lovely. Here's how it looks installed:

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Oh, I love that Elaine! So charming!

• Elaine Ricci
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Jinx! I am pleased. I was dreading the chore of hanging it, but I didn't let myself procrastinate (the refuge of a frustrated perfectionist), and I didn't ask hubby for any help (other than his opinion as to which part of the wood I should hang it from) until the last part, when I wanted to shorten the chains.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Very nice!