janmarta

Mid summer pictures and repotting/grafting/rooted cutting adventures!

Jan

Hi everyone!! Just wanted to see everyone’s trees in full bloom on one thread I know there are a few pictures of everyone’s here and there but it’s be nice to see them all in one thread!! here are a couple of my repott pictures That I did in the hot blazing day!!

Owari satsuma repot and it’s roots

• Lemon Lime Orange Zone 6a

Jan these light colored clay pots are new at Home Depot.

Jan thanked Lemon Lime Orange Zone 6a
    Best Answer
  • Jan

Kiyomi tangor!!! next spring ready for cuttings whoever wants one it’s finally grown large enough I think! :) I only repotted to a 1” larger pot I can’t believe how many places are out of pots! Home Depot lowes Rona Etc no pots! It’s crazy!

• Jan

Oops didn’t post the potted kiyomi above

• Jan

Meyer lemon rooted cutting 3 Weeks old

• Jan

And did a bunch of grafts on an Unknown rootstock of the xie shan satsuma! The rootstock used to be my second New Zealand lemonade on top of it but hoping to cut that off since it’s been growing so slow and I already have another tree that’s very vigorous.

This time went faster And I got all my tools :) hopefully the graft will be much cleaner and neater than before! Can’t wait to unwrap in another 3 weeks!

• socalnolympia

I rooted some cuttings of Changsha mandarin and Ichang papeda, inside a special enclosure with artificial lighting. Both these varieties root very easily. They are also probably both related to each other. (Changsha and Yichang in China are not really that far apart)

I transferred them outside, and they have both managed to send out new growth. I think drought-tolerant and vigorous-growing varieties are easier to root.

The Ichang papeda (grown from a cutting) managed to survive outside over the winter for me, unprotected, in Olympia, WA. The Changsha cutting, I'm still not 100% sure of, but I have one on grafted rootstock that has survived through a winter, and looks great.

Here's the Ichang papeda rooted cutting, in the ground. You can see the distinctive shape of the leaves, of this special species.

A "rooted cutting" means it's going to be growing on its own roots, of course, as opposed to growing grafted onto rootstock, which is the normal case.

Jan thanked socalnolympia
  • Jan

Socal I’ve never heard of these varieties what are their fruits like?! I wonder if they’d grow in ground here! Let me know if they’re edible they look so lush and green I can’t believe they grow in ground where you are it gives me hope :)

• HOWARD Martin

i nvever heard of those varieties then again never heard of many varieties

• Bob

Jan, whatever you write, I will respond. It’s always good reading. My tree’s could be in better condition, had a hiccup, starting to recover. I am good.

Jan thanked Bob
  • poncirusguy6b452xx

Jan Your trees look great. I hope they fruit for you next year.

Seedling Meiwa kumquat 3 year 7 months old.

Steve

Jan thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • Jan

Lemon lime I love those pots!! How big are they? My trees are starting to grow really fast And have outgrown most of their pots lol a good problem to have I suppose but who knows how I’ll fit it all in the greenhouse this winter!

bob!! You’re such a dear friend I’m so glad you Stuck around :) bob I always love to see your jabo! It looks like you’re covered in tomatoes too this year what kinds do you grow bob? My yellow cherry tomatoes are taking forever to ripen they’ve been the same size for two weeks but no colour change! Bob is that your amy tree? It’s beautiful and loaded with fruit! Your trees are recovering very quickly its like nothing ever happened to them bob You’re a pro! Your pictures made my day :) love the last picture too what a beautiful tropical!!

Steve your kumwuat is flowering from seed in just 3 years?!?! wow!!! How do you find growing them from seed Steve? Are they better than some on rootstock? Mine isn’t growing at all this year but the rootstock is shooting up many many many branches I have to keep trimming them! I’ve also been growing this Indonesian lime from seed from a friend who brought some seeds from there and it’s about a foot tall with stunted leaves and it’s been 2 years! Lol I’m starting to think I’ll never get fruit from them! She says in Indonesia From seed they get fruit within 4 years I’m looking at mine thinking not a chance! Beautiful Steve!

• Bob

Last picture is a Pandan plant. A gift from a friend. Here is another gift from a friend, arrived last week. 2 figtrees, one call Moscatel Preto, the other small one is another variety, Bourjasotte, Grise. All airlayers.

All tops.

It survived this, besides being way late Arriving.

Jan, the cherry tomato came from seeds I collected from Sam,s club, called Flavor Bombs. I think, you wouldn’t find anything better.

Did you buy those Rehza peppers from Baker Creek? Not to eat fresh, just cooking, grilling, sautéed, frying with a bit of salt.

Jan thanked Bob
  • Lemon Lime Orange Zone 6a

Here is the tag Jan.

Jan thanked Lemon Lime Orange Zone 6a
  • Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A

Repotting is my happy place.

Jan thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    yesterday
    last modified: 21 hours ago

JanMy parent Meiwa tree is from Harris citrus. It was a gift from Cory. It is 5 years old with me. The root stock 'Kuharske Citrange' keeps putting out sucker after sucker and the main tree is almost dead. The rootstock and scion are not compatible and are separating. The seedling meiwa trees are all doing much better with no problems beyond typical of a potted citrus tree that must come inside for 6 months. Kumquat trees grow so slowly that if anything knocks it back it can take years instead of month to fill back out. My conclusion is that Meiwa, Nagami, Marumi are not worth growing in container. There are other non grocery store citrus trees to grow that will grow much better.

Steve

Jan thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    21 hours ago

Seed grown Fukushu kumquat tree has a few flowers

The area of most flowers

The only open flower
    They looked like a pair of flower buds on the thumb nail

Jan thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • Jan
    15 hours ago

bob you’ve got some generous friends!! A pandan tree is very difficult to come by and keep alive anywhere but the tropics it just goes to show how good you are at growing things that aren’t supposed to grow in your area! Bob that little fig tree even has fruits on it lucky! Bob I’ve never heard of flavour bombs but if it’s anything like it’s name I’m sure it’s great! I might look into that bob baker creek has been crazy busy this year they sold out of almost everything bob! I’ve got all my lumber lined up bob for a few vegetable gardens this year so hopefully next spring I’ll be eating out of my own garden :) the 27th right after my retirement party I’m building myself some raised beds! tried many years growing in ground nothing ever grew very shady backyard so I’ll have to build atop concrete where it’s the only sunny spot in my yard and even then only 5 hours sun! For now it’s enough just looking at your pictures bob keep them coming! :)

lemon lime thank you for the measurements it might fit my smaller Shasta gold!! I’ll be going there this week :) it’s so beautiful too never seen that Grey colour on a clay pot before!

Steve mines on kuharske too!!! I didn’t know that they were incompatible is that why mine is looking like it’s losing leaves and dying off? It’s also shooting off tons of suckers but the meiwa itself is not growing at all!! Hmm maybe I can just use that rootstock to graft something else onto it. Do you know of any of your trees that have done well with that rootstock Steve? Agreed Steve been thinking about getting rid of all my kumquats already gave my nagami away now I guess I’ll cut off the meiwa and graft something else on it. yours from seeds look very very healthy though! Lol Steve!!! You always crack me up! beautiful swans and flower buds!

• Jan
    15 hours ago

Dave I agree!! My family think I’m nuts but no happier place than elbow deep in roots and soil :)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 hours ago

Kuharske is an old rootstock that produces low quality fruits and juice. Where did you get your Meiwa from. Get a seville sour orange for its seeds and grow them for rootstock.