anniedeighnaugh

Don't forget to rabbit rabbit...tomorrow is Aug 1st

Annie Deighnaugh
3 days ago
last modified: 3 days ago

If the first words out of your mouth on the first day of the month are "rabbit rabbit" you'll have good luck all month long. Any time after midnight is fine, and no need to say it to anyone.

Good luck everyone!

Comments (33)

• yeonassky
    3 days ago

Thank you alarms are turned on!

• dedtired
    3 days ago

August! How did that happen? Hope I remember. Thanks.

• always1stepbehind
    3 days ago

Yep...birthday month is just about over ;-)

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 days ago

For us in California, tomorrow is March 13th all over again!

• Fun2BHere
    3 days ago

I would never remember without your reminder. Thank you.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 days ago

thanks for the august August reminder ...

• Rusty
    3 days ago

Rusty

• pudgeder
    3 days ago

Ditto Rusty^^^^^

I really need a change in luck... I hope I remember!

• terezosa / terriks
    3 days ago

Considering how things are going this year I think that I'll say Tibbar, Tibbar. 😄

• IdaClaire
    2 days ago

August is my birth month, and as I edge closer to 60, I feel like I need all the luck I can get.

🐰🐰

• OutsidePlaying
    2 days ago

Same here, Ida. Another August birthday and need all the help I can get!

• Oakley
    2 days ago

It's midnight here, right on the dot, and I am NOT saying it. The only time I did I had a very very bad day.

Another August bday here. Are you all a Leo or Virgo? I'm a Virgo all the way.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    2 days ago

🐰🐰👍😏

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    2 days ago

I was up after midnight and said it as 12:01 am. DH said it to me first thing this a.m. I seem to be unable to get the cats to say it though...they keep going with, "Where's my breakfast!?!?"

• aok27502
    2 days ago

I woke up at 11:54, so on the stroke of 12:00, I said, then went back to sleep. I actually slept well, maybe it worked!

• Sueb20
    2 days ago

I did it! I finally remembered! When the virus gets completely eradicated this month, you’ll know who to thank.

• hhireno
    2 days ago

I was out on my bike ride and whenever I saw a bunny I exclaimed “Bunny!” Does that count?

• lgmd_gaz
    2 days ago

Got it! Today we are celebrating 61 years of wedded bliss! Actually, 62 years together as Aug. 1st 1958 was the day of our first date. Yes, August 1st is our "lucky" day. and we will make it last for the full month.

• IdaClaire
    2 days ago

I remembered!

• nicole___
    2 days ago

OMG! I did it in July and it was the worst month of my life.

• terezosa / terriks
    2 days ago

I tibbared. 😄

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Of course, the thing is, you never know how much worse it would've been had you *not* said rabbit rabbit....

• pudgeder
    2 days ago

I remembered!

• Tina Marie
    2 days ago

I don't believe in "luck", so I didn't say it.

Sueb - I'll remember who to thank if that happens!!

HH, I think bunny should be allowed!

I cannot believe it is already August. I remember as a child my grandmother would talk about how time flies. She lived to almost 100. Now I know what she meant . . .

In responding on a post about dishes (RL thread), I thought about how I want to decorate the table for Christmas. Fleeting thoughts, but it still hit me!

• ded_tired
    2 days ago

Well, i muttered something under my breath before i rabbited, so does it still count? I have a feeling not. I think I was cursing the hot weather here.

• jupidupi
    2 days ago

I had never heard of this "rabbit rabbit" thing before reading about it here. Does anyone know the origin of it?

• bragu_DSM 5
    2 days ago

squirrel!

• Jasdip
    2 days ago

Jupidupi, last month I mentioned a novel I was reading by Mary Higgins Clark, a very popular mystery novelist.

It was written in the late 80's and set in Minnesota. Rabbit rabbit was mentioned.

Folklore then said to 'fall asleep saying hare hare; and wake up saying rabbit rabbit.'

• yeonassky
    2 days ago

Said by both DH and I. Double luck!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_rabbit_rabbit

The exact origin of the superstition is unknown, though it was recorded in Notes and Queries as being said by children in 1909:
    "My two daughters are in the habit of saying 'Rabbits!' on the first day of each month. The word must be spoken aloud, and be the first word said in the month. It brings luck for that month. Other children, I find, use the same formula."
    [1]

• Julie X.
    yesterday

I wonder if anyone here has ever had a specific incidence of good luck that they attribute to the utterance? I'm all for good luck. Usually, my first word of the day is to say aloud the day of the week. It helps me to keep track, now that one day seems like the next.

• IdaClaire
    yesterday

It's all in fun. Unless something wonderful happens, in which case, don't discount mystical possibilities. 😉

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    yesterday

My Mom always used to say it only helped her get lucky with finding parking spots...