1nonlyj

The Ralph Lauren "brand" ...

IdaClaire

It still captivates me. There's something about what this man puts his hand to that I still find so inspiring and just downright gorgeous. I suppose that in today's "modern" design circles, the RL brand is staid and outdated, but to my eye it manages to shine more beautifully than any of the Johnny Come Latelies. To my eye, RL is classic and retains its staying power. If you think so too, why do you suppose this is? If you don't think the style is relevant, why's that?
I dunno. Just feel like discussing RL today.
🙂

• Jinx

Another fan, checking in. :)

I first discovered him and his home decor style as a kid; I think I was looking through my parents’ magazines. I was instantly mesmerized. Besides wanting to marry him when I grew up (come on, he’s a hunk), I wanted a house just like his. I remember my Mema’s signature scent: Lauren:

Nearly every man I knew wore:

Ok — home decor! Ahhh. I’m obsessed with vintage, horsey RL.

*** SWOON** 😍

Mr G and I spontaneously decided to elope in 2014 (Jamaica). We had to quickly find me a dress and him a casual tan suit coat for a wedding on the cliffs over the water. We went to a dept store locally (I ordered my dress online) and I saw a clearance rack with ONE tan suit coat on it. No other clothes, just that one coat! Exact color we wanted. I walked towards it, not even daring to hope it was the right size, etc. I called him over, we approached it .... it was exactly his size, and a Ralph Lauren one! We were thrilled. 😄 I love RL!

Great thread, Ida!

ETA: Forgot this — https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/ralph-lauren-bedford-new-york-home-article

Featured Answer
  • IdaClaire

Placemats out of style?

We have a beautiful maple table tgat has 11 leaves for when company comes. I don't care if they're in style or not, placemats are to protect that wood as well as show it off when company comes. No table cloth that hides its beauty. I try to pick up placemats when they are on sale as usually get 16-20 at a time. Nice ones that are washable are hard to come by. But have accumulated a nice variety over time for different occasions. Grand kids love helping to pick a set out and set the table.

Bathroom facelift

Try a couple color swatches. BM Simply White is a pretty white with some warmth to it that might work. White Dove has a touch of warmth as well, a bit less buttery than Simply White. You could do the same color on the vanity and mirror that you do on the walls - just use a different paint finish. Swap out the curtain and you're done! I like the look of Serena and Lily's Healdsburg curtain in flax for a tonal look. https://www.serenaandlily.com/healdsburg-shower-curtain/m12604.html?color=Flax And maybe a pair of framed prints with a hit of green above the toilet? I don't know where you live, but if Southwest, Minted has some cool cactus and palm prints. I also love a pair of 5"x5" "shelfies" from Lauren Marttila hung on the wall (click around her site - she has great options with green in them. All are Nantucket). https://www.laurenmarttila.com/shelfies/emoji-in-the-wild-shelfie-2 Will look crisp and clean whatever you choose!

Paint color for 1850's home in Georgia

I am happy you are trying to keep it historically accurate. Are there any similar houses in your area? Is there a restored house used as a museum with a curator who knows about houses of the period. Our home, built 1803 and 1836, was blessed by the son of the new owners who bought it in 1927. The son was an architect who specialized in historic reconstruction! He did lose the argument over the replacement of one window when his mother insisted on a larger opening for one room, “there’s not enough light in this room!” Stay the course. Talk to your house.

fireplace make over

You can build a panel with raised trim, have "legs" come down under the mantle to the hearth like the picture below. Then tile around the fireplace. The thing I'm struggling with is what to do with your mantle. It becomes a larger project to rip it off and start over. You could cover it in wood but my concern would be that that makes it combustible that close to your fireplace. Not sure what the distance it is from firebox to mantle. Having something combustible on the mantle could cause a fire hazard. You could tile it in the same tile around the the fireplace but might look odd. If you painted the wood then I would paint the existing mantle the same color, problem solved. Can't see everything in the room but if it would match, i like the green olychick posted.
  • IdaClaire

Interesting quote from an article pertaining to RL fashion, but can be conflated to his interior designs as well:

Much of fashion is made up of aggressive symbols of wealth. But watch someone’s face when they put on a Ralph Lauren garment: a flowing Montauk-style summer dress, for example, or the perfect double-breasted blazer that appears gleaned from your rakish great uncle’s closet, or a fringe jacket or denim shirt that might have been discovered in a Santa Fe tack shop — only better, refracted through Lauren’s unique sensibility and crafted with his exacting insistence on quality. They start to smile because they’ve just entered into a dialogue with the unique narrative he creates. All of a sudden they are transported to a ranch in Montana and channelling the ineffable cool of James Dean in Giant or Paul Newman in Hud. Or they are travelling back in time to the Jazz Age and the café society of Fitzgerald and Hemingway. Putting on Ralph Lauren is like reading an amazing passage in a book, a line, say, about how we “beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past”; or listening to a perfectly evocative lyric (“The screen door slams, Mary’s dress waves”); or watching your favourite scene in a film with Bogart and Bacall.

Ralph Lauren makes you dream, he lets you enter into a construct of his imagination populated by a cast of idyllic characters and their ravishing costumes in the same way that the greatest film directors have done. And each time he has expressed the cultural zeitgeist before it has been fully articulated. People forget that his Safari collection, a revolution in the way fashion was transformed into visual poetry, was launched a year before the film Out of Africa hit the screens. Then he lets you steal away with these magnificent artefacts from this dream world around your shoulders. In many ways he is far more of an auteur, a writer, director and producer, than he is a designer.

• ljangell44

Couldn't agree more, RL has a way with design and color that stands out from all other predictable designers. He is in a class of his own.

• daisychain01

Oh, you're talking home decor. I just got a delivery of about 10 pieces (sale items, of course) of Lauren Ralph Lauren clothing. Even on sale, not inexpensive, but classic (or possibly, as you say, staid), but I really think it is a good investment and I can see these pieces staying wearable for many, many years. Not just because they are well made, but also because they are styles that won't be off trend in a few years. So, yes, I agree. I do like his style and think I'd fit right in on that sofa in my new camel linen trousers and baby blue button down ;-)

• mtnrdredux_gw

I think he did a good job, in my mind, of creating a brand that imitates a certain demographic, or how people think that demographic lives, what I might call New England WASP with a hint of collegiate/yacht club.

My kids like his stuff, so I guess he is not "out" I'm a little put off by his brand extensions. I forget the monikers they use for each submarket but it seems to me there is now outlet RL, "real RL," and designer RL. I like the middle.

• maddielee

...and Chaps, Polo, Club Monaco etc. I also like the real RL and his daughter’s candy stores.

• Richard Dollard

The RL style is timeless and will never go away in my opinion. It's very warm and inviting.

• Oakley

I was going to say what Richard said. Classic and timeless and will never go out of style. DS1's wife did their bedroom in Ralph Lauren. I can't afford it. lol

• graywings123

I have two sets of RL pajamas. Love them for the quality of workmanship.

• 1929Spanish-GW

I've always loved his design, but I think today's mass market aspect of "stack it high, watch it fly" has ruined the image a bit. <--- That's the phrase we used during Christmas to sell cashmere sweaters!

I used to sell Ralph Lauren Women's clothing at Nordstrom back in the late 80's. It was accessible, yet not overstocked so you felt like it was special. Now you walk into any Macys and they are stacked to the ceiling with so many multiples of the same thing that you might as well be in Old Navy.

I used to have his bedding although I paired a beautiful cabbage rose comforter set with his leopard sheets. Love his home design, but haven't followed his furniture much.

In any case, I'm sure you'll love this documentary on him. I really enjoyed it.

Very Ralph

• mtnrdredux_gw

I paired a beautiful cabbage rose comforter set with his leopard sheets.

I love that! any pics?

• 1929Spanish-GW

^ no, that was ages ago in my old condo and during my single days..... ; )

Edited: Look! I found some pics online of what I used...

Edited Again, cuz I started giggling about my married life bedroom.....

• roarah

Rugged yet formal. He juxtaposed two very contradicting styles into a at the time new idea which worked well in a ying yang way. It is the marriage of a fox trot and after party that evokes nostalgia and envy and those sentiments will always be prevalent in some way, thus it is believed to be classic.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Clothing wise, I've been and still am a J Crew fan but may have to switch if they do indeed go under.

• Fun2BHere

RL used to have the most beautiful lifestyle videos on his web site to represent each home collection. I loved viewing them. And his plaids...swoon. While my decorating features less pattern these days, I still have some of his plaid pillows and throws that I pull out in the winter.

I just bought a pair of vintage RL pillow cases from eBay. If you are familiar with the fabrication of different collections, you can get some wonderful buys on eBay. I love the particular set I bought because they are truly wrinkle resistant if I spread them out to dry on my island. I hate ironing in the heat of summer, but I like sleeping on wrinkle free pillow cases.

• Tina Marie

I like the look, but then again I love the cottage and/or English country look. He has had some beautiful floral fabrics.

• olliesmom

Now you are talking my language! I am a RL freak! I've watched Very Ralph a number of times. I am personally, more drawn to the more on the modern side of Santa Fe/ranch look, but I love them all. I love that he has this passion, even at his age now, to do his very best, and still maintains to be humble. I love that he is a family man, and especially like the fact that he was drawn to his wife, because she is "naturally" beautiful. And, she is. As far as home furnishings, his is always a classic and always in style, imo. I adore him, can you tell??

• frankginakay

https://thecavenderdiary.com/2018/09/11/50-years-of-ralph-lauren/ Jen, you might get a kick out of this blog. One of the guys has worked for Ralph Lauren for many years. They live in Oak Cliff and post about all the work they have done on their home.

Whenever I run into old high school friends or fraternity brothers, and I tell them that I’m working for Ralph Lauren, the response is always the same,

“Of course you are.”

When I was 13 years-old my mother bought me a pale orange oxford shirt with a polo player on the left chest. I wore that shirt everywhere, and with everything. I knew that it was more than just a piece of clothing …. it was a way of life. That perfect American life I’d seen advertised between the pages of Vanity Fair magazine – Bruce Webber images of guys riding horses, and families lounging on boats or playing touch football on the overly green lawn of a Hampton’s estate. It was from that moment on, I only wanted to wear shirts with four letters on the label….

P. O. L. O.

The walls of my bedroom were plastered with Ralph Lauren ads torn from Esquire and GQ. I didn’t save my baby-sitting money for a car like my friends were doing – I never really wanted one. I spent every dollar I had in the boy’s Polo department at Bloomingdale’s on bright-colored knits. I needed twice as many because I wore them layered two at a time, both collars flipped towards the heavens.

My first cologne; Polo green. I spritzed my sheets, my school locker, my Guinea pig.

In my teens, while most of my friends were experimenting with goth and new wave styles, I was in the full throes of W.A.S.P. I didn’t wear Reebok’s, my shoe of choice was a basic white tennis shoe with Polo on the heel. Socks, if I was wearing them, had a little man on a horse on each side.

I went through fraternity RUSH in cuffed white shorts and a navy cardigan sweater with big brass buttons. I was the frat guy who wore madras ties to keggers – madras that I meticulously matched to the pink and green in the fraternity crest on my navy blazer – the navy blazer I wore with everything.I mean, is there such a thing as a “navy blazer phase”? Because I had one.

Who made my first adult suit? You guessed it – Ralph Lauren. I had to put it on lay-a-way to afford it. It was a double-breasted, navy blue pinstripe number with peak lapels. I felt like Cary Grant every time I wore it.

But my passion wasn’t limited to just clothes anymore; there was the comforter that looked like a

Just look up blog, they have done amazing fun things with their TX home!

• rubyclaire

I like the RL look. The Polo Bar in NY is one of my favorite places to eat because of the cozy, clubby atmosphere. Another favorite that has the RL look and feels very cozy is the bar at the Old Edwards Inn in Highlands, NC.

Apparently, I like cozy, clubby bars.

• IdaClaire

Ok, I want to know those two guys, and Oak Cliff is a very close drive! What fun!

• ratherbesewing

I have been attracted to the brand “Lauren Ralph Lauren “ sold in Macy’s and other department stores. Kind of a simple classic look. Not sure where this fits into mtnrdredux’s breakdown of price points.. He is a master and no one like him.

• Oakley

I want this dinnerware darnit! Mtn? Pretty please? lol Seriously it'd be a bit out of place living in the middle of OK.

Take a look at this picture, are those Hydrangeas? Nah, couldn't be. But I want those too. :)

• mtnrdredux_gw

OMG I own so much dinnerware Oakley! I still love my Anthro octopus plates. : )

I think Macys would carry the "middle" RL. I totally forgot about Chaps. We have an outlet near our beach house and they have some stuff I think is pretty junky. Like the polo shirts, instead of that lovely pique, they are thinnish. OTOH, I have been on their site looking for things and suddenly, like a $500 white button down blouse pops up! WTH?

No wonder I am confused.

https://thisfits.me/post/589987463/sf-ralph-lauren-lines-and-who-makes-what-a

• Jinx

I want this clock (I’ve been looking for one like this for my nightstand).

But ... $895 !! Sigh. I have to stay more in the $20-40 range. 😆

https://www.ralphlauren.com/home-decor-decorative-accessories/brennan-clock/0040789356.html?pdpR=y

• IdaClaire

I'm not big on the monogrammed merchandise either. On anything, really. It's more just the layering of the more refined with a touch of rustic or "wild" (like those zebra patterned chairs above), or the leopard and roses bedding, that is so enlivening. RL rooms look to me like old money, but old money that doesn't take itself too seriously. If that even makes sense.

Jinx, that clock is seriously gorgeous! I do have a special place in my heart for fine time pieces, and that one fits the bill nicely! (Can't begin to afford a $900 bedside clock though. Yikes.)

• olliesmom

I just bought my son quite a few RL clothes in San Marcos last week. I don't like the big monogram in-your-face either. And, he doesn't wear RL head to toe, it's just too much, in his 17 year old opinion LOL

• 1929Spanish-GW

I love labels, but not logos.

Off to look for a cheaper option for the clock!

• Tina Marie

I won't wear anything with a logo. I refuse to be a walking advertisement for someone. I like the men's RL clothing better than the women's, although I haven't looked at any of it lately. Some of the women's line is a bit preppy (or used to be anyway) and I don't do preppy. LOL

Mountain, I am with you on dishes. I have way too many but I love setting a pretty table (if we ever have people over again!). I have a bunch of transferware (more than one color/pattern) and absolutely love ironstone. I have gotten to where I buy only plates (different sizes) and use serving pieces I have. Still my dish storage is busting at the seams!

Oakley, you should look on ebay for the dishes.

• Oakley

Tina, do you display your transferware? I have a few pieces but not enough to display.

Jinx, I bet it cost $10 to make that clock.

I'm going to check out ebay and etsy, thanks! I just finished putting that picture as my FB cover photo. :)

ANY IDEA WHAT THE FLOWERS ARE? They look faux to me but I don't care. I'm looking for a few stems to set on my kitchen windowsill. I need those. Badly.

• Oakley

Shucks, hardly any RL dinnerware on Etsy or Ebay.

Mtn, how about THIS for my birthday? Better yet, let's all go to Balmoral and hang with QE2 and go on a hunt or two. I know how to shoot a a shotgun! :)

• IdaClaire

Definitely cost some money to produce that clock. It's very nice; not your run of the mill clock from Target. Kinda like a Rolex, a Patek and a Seiko are all watches, but there's a big difference in quality and workmanship. Has anyone looked at the Chelsea Clock website? Gorgeous work.

https://www.chelseaclock.com

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)

I had to giggle at this example from the quotation that Ida share (I assume it was from the article, but hard to tell): "Putting on Ralph Lauren is like...listening to a perfectly evocative lyric ('The screen door slams, Mary’s dress waves')..." The author used a lyric from the quintessentially blue collar Springsteen written when he was still playing small clubs on the Jersey shore.

I think, as was mentioned above, that RL tapped into the dream so many have of what it is like to be East Coast elite, country club set, Hamptons, etc. More so than New England, I think.

• Jinx

Ida, beautiful clocks on that site!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally

I love reading all these stories. I remember all of the RL ads and spreads in the NY Times Sunday magazine, especially the fall fashion issues. My college roommate wore Lauren. I have a soft spot for his English country look and Out of Africa looks.

• Tina Marie

Oakley I have a few pieces of transferware in a hutch that is mostly filled with ironstone and some pieces of old silver (which I let tarnish). I also have some transferware plates hung in various places around the house. I collect the brown. I bought an egg cup the other day on ebay or etsy (can't remember which one). It will go in the hutch.

• nini804
    yesterday

I had RL everyday china when I was a child bride back in 1993! 😂 We still use it, the bowls are perfect for cereal.

• lynartist
    yesterday

I have always loved RL! Going to a RL design showroom was always a feast for the eyes; the beautiful furnishings, the amazing fabrics, the impeccable styling! I think I have always had a love for RL lamps though; especially the very large blue& white porcelain ones. I love the bedding also, I am still using several that are probably 25 years old! Such great quality, made in Italy fine quality sheets! Yes they are expensive but worth it. I have to admit I am a monogram kind of girl! Love this style and have stolen it for other monograms over the years! Classic.

• lynartist
    yesterday

Oops , I meant to type 15 years old! Typo!!!

• Oakley
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Tina, those are great color combinations with ironstone and transferware. I could kick myself. I think it was the mid 60's and my mom bought a whole set of ironstone. I knew nothing about it and didn't even care.

In my 20's she asked if I wanted her ironstone and I said no because I didn't have room. I still knew nothing about it and it didn't interest me in the slightest. But I did take the soup tureen. :) It's unmarked and last year was the first time I ever put it on display along with a Villeroy & Boch tureen my late MIL brought back from Germany about 20 years ago. How strange is that, two tureens, one from my mom the other from my MIL.

I'll take a picture tomorrow and see if you can identify the maker. I read it can be done with a lot of research.

• jill302
    yesterday

Another RL fan here. We had a RL comforter for years, kept until we changed to a larger bed. Also, had a couch that I had made to look like an RL couch. Could not afford the real thing. Overall RL home decor feels homey to me. I do not wear as much of the RL clothing, although occasionally I will run across something that works for me.

• l pinkmountain
    yesterday

You mean Ralph Lifshitz? That RL?

Sellin' the dream and image to the bourgeoise.

Too many antlers for my taste. A little deer head or elk antler goes a long way for me, especially if you don't hunt or even live round an area where anyone hunts and your trophy is only fair to middling.

He was known for quality at one time. Not sure who will ever be known for that anymore, in the space of middle class consumer goods.

• lynartist
    yesterday

Yes I pinkmountain, that RL. Proving that in the USA with hard work, smarts and style you can be whatever and whoever you want! An American original and class act!

• Tina Marie
    yesterday

Oakley, pretty much all my ironstone and transferware came from England. Well, I think. I'd have to look at some of the ironstone and see. Sometimes ironstone is not marked. Wonderful that you have tureens from both your mother and MIL!

• l pinkmountain
    yesterday
    last modified: 10 hours ago

Just being jokey, not meant to insult anyone who likes his style or criticize his style either. Yes, quintessentially American, taking something classic, and ripping . . . ooops I meant to say riffing off of it. Like RL does with the "Great Lodge" style of the nouveau riche at the turn of the century in the Adirondacks and West, or the English gentry's horse culture, or . . . blueberry bagels and jazz for that matter. It's all good and all very American. There's nothing wrong with that! I like and enjoy it all!

• praha
    12 hours ago
    last modified: 12 hours ago

I watched the video posted upthread (on our tv, so not to sit here at the desktop). With regards to his original name, Lifshitz, Ralph's brother pointed out that they changed their name early in life. Not because it was Jewish, but because of its last syllable ( "sh*tz"). He said that they just decided to put an end to their suffering the taunts, beginning early in school!

Sable, aka "praha"

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    8 hours ago
    last modified: 7 hours ago

I was obsessed with his floral sheets for years and the mill outlets around here sold them for dirt cheap until everything was transferred to China. I love his style and while some of the posted pictures above have a heavy 90's feel, his brand has remained contemporary and the home design staying current.